Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Crash
« on: 01 February 2017, 08:45:46 pm »
Hi guys

last night I was out ridding and approaching a green light at about 30mph when out of nowhere 4 people ran out into the road hoping to cross, I had to swerve to avoid them but sadly lost control and came off. I've managed to escape with just a fractured wrist, however the bike is a bit beat up, both mirrors and right side indicator are loose, front fairing is cracked and scratched, exhaust completely fell off and bent, and lastly the right hand side engine shell cracked and allowed all the oil out.

As you can imagine I'm gutted and heartbroken, I love this bike with all I have, and all I want to know is if it is fixable, I know mirrors, indicators, fairings and exhaust all are but I'm so worried about any potential other damage caused by cracking the engine shell, at the moment I just can see there's no oil left in the engine.

Photos of broken bits are attached  :(

Thanks guys

daviee

Re: Crash
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2017, 08:52:22 pm »
as long as it wasnt  revving its balls off with the oil leaking out i dont see their being any damage get a new casing on it new oil and she will be right

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2017, 08:53:54 pm »
Sorry to hear about your crash, hope you heal up soon!

I'm no expert but I guess that as long as the engine cut out before it lost the oil then the internals should be ok. I guess other things to consider are engine mounts, twisted frame etc

Hope it's fixable, best to get it checked out by a professional before diving into the repairs.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2017, 09:06:16 pm »
as said as long as it wasn't revving it's nuts off dry of oil , new casing and fresh oil and filter, but as others have said I'm not an expert just had a similar off years ago mines still running now.
As it was nob head pedestrians you've got no 3rd party to claim off are you fully comp ?? If yes then it's a write off , buy it back and fix it yourself if assessor report is ok , if no and you're on a budget I've got a casing you can have for the postage if it helps you out.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2017, 11:21:16 pm »
Sorry to hear that matey, i hope you get it all sorted.
Main thing, you're okay.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01 February 2017, 11:27:02 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2017, 03:47:03 am »
as said as long as it wasn't revving it's nuts off dry of oil , new casing and fresh oil and filter, but as others have said I'm not an expert just had a similar off years ago mines still running now.
As it was nob head pedestrians you've got no 3rd party to claim off are you fully comp ?? If yes then it's a write off , buy it back and fix it yourself if assessor report is ok , if no and you're on a budget I've got a casing you can have for the postage if it helps you out.

Hi mate, I'm not telling my insurance about it at all, I'm just going to fix it out of my back pocket :rolleyes  and thank you so much if possible then yes I would love to buy the casing off you as it then starts my buying list. Just message me whenever you can pal and we'll sort it out. thanks again

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2017, 03:49:03 am »
Just wanted to confirm I'm not sure what revs the bike was doing when it landed on the floor, however i can confirm that I hit the ground, stops sliding across the road and the literally crawled as fast as I could to hit the kill switch, the bike was maybe on for a max of 5 seconds after we came to a stop. Hope someone can confirm whether i did the right thing or not.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2017, 05:05:40 am »
I'd say you do all that was possible at the time ;)

Glad you're okay fella.  Did the idiot pedestrians hang about?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2017, 06:42:01 am »
Not good to hear of fallen foccers   :( ....but as above your ok   :) .....you did the right thing hitting the kill switch, cant see you having problems there.....great offer from GRAHAM53  :thumbup   make a list of the parts you need and post them in the wanted section . Iam not far from you and a rummage in my shed might find something you need........
One, is never going to be enough.....

Townhill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • - KTM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2017, 07:51:38 am »
Sorry to hear about your experience plus 1 for advice above if you killed it as you said all will be well inside. One thing to bear in mind and its easier said that done is not to look at the whole picture.

Fix one thing at a time, you are pissed off at this moment in time as any one of us would be. But just concentrate bit by bit building your pride and joy back to its former glory. Fair play to Graham53 that's a kind offer to get you on your way. Glad to hear you are ok and no permanent damage that's the main thing. Let us know how you go on Steve good luck.
Your only here once! GET A LIFE GET A BIKE in it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2017, 08:59:23 am »
Hi Grant,
Where abouts are you, as I replaced my silencer on my 2003 FZS 600 with a smaller sports can a couple of years ago, so I have the genuine Yamaha one in my shed, it is in really nice condition, you are more than welcome to that if it's of any help, and if you local (ish) to me, I could drop it off.
I would imagine its the same silencer on all the FZS 600's unless someone know different, the one I have is from a FZS 600 2002-2003 Foxeye .
Just retrieved it feom my she dusted it off and pics below. Yours for the taking if its any help. Sorry to hear about your off last night, what a  :'( bummer.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2017, 09:05:56 am »
Your engine will be fine, unless you rode it home.

Just replace the cover and top up the oil. Get yourself a new gasket, or a tube of that autogasket stuff (like toothpaste), or if your desperately stuck working on your bike late on a Sunday night. Photocopy the cover onto the side of a cornflakes packet and cut yourself out a new gasket with a knife or scalpel.

It's not clear how your exhaust has failed, does one piece slot into the other and the weld has failed? You might be able to slot it slot back in and clamp it. You might need to hacksaw or dremel a slot in it and clamps are readily from places like Halfords.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2017, 11:04:33 am »
Bad news fella.
Looking at the picture he has an aftermarket end can also with an aftermarket stainless link pipe. Looks like the can is oval.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2017, 11:57:36 am »
The after market can may just be a push fit on the link pipe and the can has just got dragged backwards off the pipe as the bike slide on the road.  The strap clamp looks very close to the front of the can, I'd try loosening the strap and just push the can back on the pipe and if it leaks then try a clamp round it

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2017, 12:04:00 pm »
The after market can may just be a push fit on the link pipe and the can has just got dragged backwards off the pipe as the bike slide on the road.  The strap clamp looks very close to the front of the can, I'd try loosening the strap and just push the can back on the pipe and if it leaks then try a clamp round it
Agreed , a lot of aftermarket cans slot on to the link pipe there and the tide mark on the link pipe looks like that the case or even that it had a clamp there that's slid off when the zorst parted company with the link pipe.
I've got an ART oval race can that's like that

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2017, 12:05:37 pm »

Hi mate, I'm not telling my insurance about it at all, I'm just going to fix it out of my back pocket :rolleyes  and thank you so much if possible then yes I would love to buy the casing off you as it then starts my buying list. Just message me whenever you can pal and we'll sort it out. thanks again
Sent you a PM buddy

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2017, 12:34:06 pm »
Agreed , a lot of aftermarket cans slot on to the link pipe there and the tide mark on the link pipe looks like that the case or even that it had a clamp there that's slid off when the zorst parted company with the link pipe.
I've got an ART oval race can that's like that
You are absolutely right you can see the tide mark on the link pipe and also a corresponding tide mark where the can has slipped through the clamp. should just push back on

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2017, 12:40:38 pm »
An insurance related question.
How long do you have to think about it and add up the costs to then decide that you are going through the insurance. What would they say if it was a week before you told them.

Also on the insurance route, it may just be the picture but how much tread is on that back tyre.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2017, 01:09:35 pm »
How long do you have to think about it and add up the costs to then decide that you are going through the insurance. What would they say if it was a week before you told them.

Also on the insurance route, it may just be the picture but how much tread is on that back tyre.
Apart from it not being legally compulsory for him to make an insurance claim, it might be basic maths especially if he's young rider / little experience, he could using used parts get that up and running for £200 , without my offer of a cover which is about £50 , s/h fairing £100 oil and filter £40 that's versus 5 years of having to declare a total loss on car insurance , bike insurance if it only puts his bike and car insurance up by £ 50 a year for both he's better off financially long term

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2017, 01:14:01 pm »

Apart from it not being legally compulsory for him to make an insurance claim, it might be basic maths especially if he's young rider / little experience, he could using used parts get that up and running for £200 , without my offer of a cover which is about £50 , s/h fairing £100 oil and filter £40 that's versus 5 years of having to declare a total loss on car insurance , bike insurance if it only puts his bike and car insurance up by £ 50 a year for both he's better off financially long term
My main thoughts were how soon ---or how long can you get away with not telling your insurance and then decide that after looking at all the options it is better to go through the insurance after all. 

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2017, 01:19:06 pm »

My main thoughts were how soon ---or how long can you get away with not telling your insurance and then decide that after looking at all the options it is better to go through the insurance after all.
Sorry my bad  :rolleyes  I'm not sure how long but you could probably give it a week or so , after mine I had 4 days in hospital then the medication meant I spent I few days off planet earth and it was about a week or so before I called mine. Still suffer problems now ... foccing white van man

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2017, 01:31:01 pm »
I'd also put a new brake lever on it , in pics it looks ok , a bit of road rash on it at the ball but to be on the safe side it might be structurally weakened or have an unseen crack that you just know would fail at the wrong time  :eek

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2017, 01:51:00 pm »
Hi guys

Just wanted to answer everything in one comment rather than quote you all :lol  firstly thank you all so much for the support, like I said I've only fractured my right wrist but personally couldn't care less my focus is purely on the bike  :)  secondary regarding insurance I'm 21 with 3 years NCB, I'm lucky to have this bike in the first place, if I claim I'll be lucky to get insurance ever again without having to saw off my arms and legs  :rolleyes  thirdly thank you so much for the offer of the exhaust, sadly mine was an aftermarket one (pictures below) and I already have an idea of what next to put on it  :lol  however thank you all so far for all your help and comments, I feel much better knowing the bike SHOULD be fixable  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2017, 02:06:37 pm »
5 Seconds running, I'm almost positive the engine will be fine. It takes 10 -15 seconds seconds for all the oil to exit an engine when you take the sump plug out, and, the oil that had already been picked up by the scavenger oil pump will still have been going around the engine.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2017, 02:07:33 pm by tommyardin »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2017, 03:51:46 pm »
The engine will be fine.

A guy recently drained the oil out of an old merc on YouTube and it ran for about 17 minutes before failing.  It actually takes a little while for the surfaces to run dry, so a few seconds will not impact anything.

As said, replace the side casing and all good.  Looks like the silencer will slide straight back on.  You could fix that up for less than £100 I reckon.

As mentioned above though, did the ped's not hang around to make sure you were alright.  Technically they have just left the scene of an accident, especially as you were avoiding them.  If you had a helmet cam with footage you could take them to small claims court to cover the cost of your bike repairs.  For the price to repair you may not be bothered about that though, but a helmet/bike cam is worth the investment for things like this.

Some might disagree, but I'd not have swerved, simply emergency braked and controlled the bike to stay upright.  I don't mean deliberately hit them, simply make a controlled stop with a blast on the horn.  It's easy for someone to nip out of the way of a bike compared to a car so probably wouldn't amount to anything.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2017, 03:56:38 pm by Fazafou »