Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:42 pm

Author Topic: Front fork re chrome Vs New pattern stanchions?  (Read 2546 times)

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
Front fork re chrome Vs New pattern stanchions?
« on: 30 January 2017, 08:52:39 pm »

I am currently restoring an '87 FZR1000 and the original fork stanchions are shot, I have some spare FZR Genny fork legs which have some pitting although not on the swept area. New stanchions are about £120 each. Ive heard in the past that fork legs can be re chromed, has anyone got any idea on a price comparison for re chroming Vs New stanchions (@£120 each).

Thanks

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
Re: Front fork re chrome Vs New pattern stanchions?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
last lot i had done was around £130 a pair with philpotts. very happy with them.  look for pittedforks.co.uk

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
ha, billy, i just replied to your question over on the exupforum.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2017, 05:58:13 pm »

Right, so I gave up looking for some good second hand stanchions and had resigned myself to the fact that I was looking at a £175 bill for re chroming. But just in case, I thought id have a look on German Ebay and found lots of aftermarket stanchions a bit cheaper than the UK, but not when you add in the shipping costs. Then I found a guy selling only two stanchions for a Pre Exup FZR 1000 giving the correct Yamaha Part number, I contacted him and struck a deal for £120 for the pair delivered. They arrived today, in a big box with Yamaha on the side. I unpacked them and immediately found that these are not aftermarket stanchions, they are genuine Yamaha, complete with the correct slightly faded with age Yamaha sticker with the part number. Lovely deep chrome and ready to go.

To say that I'm chuffed is an understatement.

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2017, 08:52:11 am »

Right, so I gave up looking for some good second hand stanchions and had resigned myself to the fact that I was looking at a £175 bill for re chroming. But just in case, I thought id have a look on German Ebay and found lots of aftermarket stanchions a bit cheaper than the UK, but not when you add in the shipping costs. Then I found a guy selling only two stanchions for a Pre Exup FZR 1000 giving the correct Yamaha Part number, I contacted him and struck a deal for £120 for the pair delivered. They arrived today, in a big box with Yamaha on the side. I unpacked them and immediately found that these are not aftermarket stanchions, they are genuine Yamaha, complete with the correct slightly faded with age Yamaha sticker with the part number. Lovely deep chrome and ready to go.

Hey Billy,

Do you have a link to where you purchased these?

Cheers,

James
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2017, 10:36:25 am »
I had a GPZ600r that I think had aftermarket or re chromed forks on it, could not stop the focers from leaking, I fitted three set of seals, a local shop fitted a set after I got paranoid thinking I was to blame and after selling it the next owner had the same problem. They were mint but with hindsight I believe, they had been machined the wrong size.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2017, 09:16:20 pm »

Hey Billy,

Do you have a link to where you purchased these?

Cheers,

James

Unfortunately he only had the pair, and I had them. I will see if I can find the seller and see if there are any more, but I doubt it.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2017, 08:34:38 pm »
Let me know how it goes.