Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:46 pm

Author Topic: Battery  (Read 2646 times)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Battery
« on: 30 January 2017, 06:56:50 pm »
The time has come for me to replace my battery. The original battery is a YUASA YTZ10S. Should I replace with the same one or is there a higher power battery I can get. And also can I fit a MF battery.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2017, 10:20:16 pm »
The Yuasa YTZ10S is a MF battery.

What is wrong with it?

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2017, 06:21:28 pm »
I've had problem with it since I bought the bike. It sometimes hesitated to start. The supplying dealer did the checks and said the battery was okay. It lasted 3 years. Last week it refused to start. The engine turned but did not fire. According to the breakdown man it was the battery. He said that the electronics were not getting the voltage to fire the engine. He put jump leads on the battery and after about 10-15 tries it started. He said the plugs were wet so it took longer to start.
I since realise that the battery is MF. I have ordered an AGM battery battery. It is a YUASA battery same as the original. I presume it should be okay.
Any advice very much appreciated.
Thanks

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2017, 07:37:07 pm »
The AGM equivalent of the YTZ10S will be fine, just a little more expensive. Much less prone to vibration issue, but its biggest advantage is its lower discharge rate when idle for long periods.

The AGM type motorcycle battery needs a regulated voltage between 14 and 14.8 volts when charging on the bike and the FZ8 is well within this range

Be sure to use the correct type of off the bike charger to charge AGM batteries if you have to charge it at any stage.

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2017, 07:48:40 pm »
The AGM equivalent of the YTZ10S will be fine, just a little more expensive. Much less prone to vibration issue, but its biggest advantage is its lower discharge rate when idle for long periods.

The AGM type motorcycle battery needs a regulated voltage between 14 and 14.8 volts when charging on the bike and the FZ8 is well within this range

Be sure to use the correct type of off the bike charger to charge AGM batteries if you have to charge it at any stage.

Thank you very much for the info. At the moment I've been using optimate 4 charger. I'll have to consider getting another charger.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2017, 07:51:38 pm »
The time has come for me to replace my battery. The original battery is a YUASA YTZ10S. Should I replace with the same one or is there a higher power battery I can get. And also can I fit a MF battery.

Not sure what a MF battery is but don't mention it to your Mum :eek

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2017, 07:54:44 pm »

Not sure what a MF battery is but don't mention it to your Mum :eek

Ha Ha...Nice one

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2017, 08:05:57 pm »

Thank you very much for the info. At the moment I've been using optimate 4 charger. I'll have to consider getting another charger.

If it is an Optimate 4 Dual Program model it is suitable for charging the AGM batteries

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2017, 06:39:48 pm »

If it is an Optimate 4 Dual Program model it is suitable for charging the AGM batteries

I emailed the company and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your enquiry. All OptiMate lead acid chargers including the original from 1995 are suitable for charging AGM batteries