Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:51 pm

Author Topic: Gear indicator.  (Read 7424 times)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gear indicator.
« on: 26 January 2017, 09:14:38 pm »
does anyone use a gear indicator on their fazers, do you think it helps.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Gear indicator.
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2017, 09:54:20 pm »
tommy is watching this as it is my next upgrade to my old girl. :lol
I often go to grab another gear to find that I am already in 6th
« Last Edit: 26 January 2017, 09:55:06 pm by tommyardin »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2017, 10:30:00 pm »
Yep, fitted a GiPro last year. For some reason the engine note of the Fazer gives me the impression that another gear is needed to calm it down a bit when already in top.I've never encountered this sensation on any other bikes I've had, although this is my first Yamaha, and was reluctant to "give in" to fitting one as after all the speedo and rev counter give you the answer, but got fed up prodding for 7th, even though you know you're already in top. Certainly very straight forward to fit to my '05 thou, very much plug'n'play.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2017, 08:35:54 am »
Just my thoughts but if you're in top gear and at the kind of revs where you're wanting to go up another notch,  in terms of safety it would surely be better just to drop the revs and try snicking up a gear than to take your eyes off the road look at gear indicator then look back up and re-focus on what's happening on the road? Yeah I appreciate that this scenario can happen at 40mph due to the great nature of the bikes low down pulling power but that's still fast enough to get you into trouble if you're concentration is not on the road.

But please don't let me be a killjoy if you fancy a new toy for the bike then by all means, but a gear indicator has never appealed to me mostly because of the above.

/Edit: If I was going to fit something of this ilk it would be Christian's multiguage which also happens to include not only a gear indicator but a lot more useful stuff - http://cvieth.bplaced.net/ganganzeige_summary.html
« Last Edit: 27 January 2017, 10:11:12 am by PieEater »

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2017, 10:35:19 am »
Yes, fitted a GiPro list year to my FZ1S. Easy to fit, plug and play. As others mention, I got fed up looking for 7th gear and sometimes it's just handy to know what gear you are in  :)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2017, 11:37:33 am »
Its when you start looking for eighth gear that you know you have a problem :)

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2017, 12:10:02 pm »

/Edit: If I was going to fit something of this ilk it would be Christian's multiguage which also happens to include not only a gear indicator but a lot more useful stuff - http://cvieth.bplaced.net/ganganzeige_summary.html

Totally  agree with pie, go the Multigauge.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2017, 12:49:51 pm »
"Its when you start looking for eighth gear that you know you have a problem"

No, it's when you find eighth that you have a problem  :lol

Acturely looking at fitting a gear indicator myself and thought about this little puppy on fleabay - I know it's cheap Ying-tong shit, but cheap enough to bin it when it doesn't work  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-LED-Universal-Digital-Gear-Motorcycle-Indicator-Display-Shift-Lever-Sensor-/400978365585?hash=item5d5c2c4c91:g:NUwAAOSwHnFVzbOS
when in doubt go flat out

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2017, 12:58:46 pm »
you are worried about looking for the gear indicator which shows one digit but want to install a multigauge which shows multiple digits. Sorry I don't get that, just saying.
Anyhow if I couldn't see a bright red number in my peripheral vision then quite possibly I shouldn't be riding at all.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2017, 05:40:15 pm »

you are worried about looking for the gear indicator which shows one digit but want to install a multigauge which shows multiple digits. Sorry I don't get that, just saying.
Anyhow if I couldn't see a bright red number in my peripheral vision then quite possibly I shouldn't be riding at all.
I've had my bike nearly 8 years now and have developed an instinct for which gear it's in, I think my point about safety is legitimate but you are entitled to feel otherwise, I'm getting older and my reaction times are getting slower so I don't need unnecessary distractions. I actually don't want to install a multiguage either, it's just if I was looking for a toy to buy my bike that would be my preference over a gear indicator, the facilities such as coolant temp, ambient air temp, battery voltage, and speedo correction can all be used when the bike is at a standstill so don't pose any distraction and for my money would be far more useful.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2017, 06:15:21 pm »

I consider getting a gear indicator every time I ride my Fazer so let me know how you get on with it.

In my case it's mainly down to coming from huge cc, torque laden, spine cracking twins with completely illegal exhaust volumes....no way you can't know what gear your in..!  ;)

I'm loving the Fazer but even with an aftermarket can I still find it hard to gauge where I am gear wise with this quiet, zippy 4-pot thing!  :\

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2017, 08:36:20 pm »
Totally appreciate the usefulness of Christians multigauge, but as valuable as all that info is, all I wanted to do was stop jabbing for 7th.More a matter of being annoyed with myself for trying to hook a gear that isn't there. I made a bracket to fit  the GiPro between the speedo and rev counter so no more, if not less, time spent checking it than checking the speedo.  As long as I'm happy with my purchase and time spent, that's all that matters in my book. :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2017, 08:45:35 pm »

As long as I'm happy with my purchase and time spent, that's all that matters in my book. :)
Absolutely.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2017, 10:48:13 pm »
Yep, fitted a GiPro last year. For some reason the engine note of the Fazer gives me the impression that another gear is needed to calm it down a bit when already in top.I've never encountered this sensation on any other bikes I've had, although this is my first Yamaha, and was reluctant to "give in" to fitting one as after all the speedo and rev counter give you the answer, but got fed up prodding for 7th, even though you know you're already in top. Certainly very straight forward to fit to my '05 thou, very much plug'n'play.

Hi Robbo,
What does the thing plug into then if it is plug and play? Is there a socket on the bike that it fits into. Oh! just noticed you Fazer is the 1K model, mine is the shruken down one, wonder if it still fits? anyone know?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2017, 10:46:19 am »
Hi Tommy,
I can only comment regarding GiPro, but if you go on the website of a supplier and see if they do a kit for your bike.The plug'n'play part is a length of wiring harness that plugs straight in.There's minimal wiring other than running the display wiring from your chosen location.By taking the screen off and making a suitable bracket I fitted mine directly above the speedo housing.Just off to the caff but will have a look when I get back to check who I got mine from. :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2017, 12:42:21 pm »

Hi Tommy,
Just back from my blow out breakfast. The GiPro X type with wiring harness GPX-Y01(this is the plug'n'play bit) is suitable for your bike and comes in red, blue, green, yellow and white displays and will relieve you of £99.99. Got mine from Bikers Discount Warehouse 01256 703593, not open on Sats. as just tried ringing them. They could be in your neck of the woods, so a weekday ride could be on the cards if you decide on one.
Forge Farm
Hook Road
Greywell
Hampshire
RG29 1BT

The manufacturer is called Heal Tech and has a website that tells you all about it. If you do order one from BDW get them to clarify the wiring harness number I've posted, but I'm sure it's correct and applies to both 2002 and 2003 model years as wasn't sure which one yours was.

Robbo :)
« Last Edit: 05 March 2017, 05:13:54 pm by robbo »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2017, 04:21:10 pm »

Hi Tommy,
Just back from my blow out breakfast. The GiPro X type with wiring harness GPX-Y01(this is the plug'n'play bit) is suitable for your bike and comes in red, blue, green, yellow and white displays and will relieve you of £99.99. Got mine from Bikers Discount Warehouse 01256 703593, not open on Sats. as just tried ringing them. They could be in your neck of the woods, so a weekday ride could be on the cards if you decide on one.
Forge Farm
Hook Road
Greyhill
Hampshire
RG29 1BT

The manufacturer is called Heal Tech and has a website that tells you all about it. If you do order one from BDW get them to clarify the wiring harness number I've posted, but I'm sure it's correct and applies to both 2002 and 2003 model years as wasn't sure which one yours was.

Robbo :)

Cheers Robbo you a Gent and a Scholar.

Yeah it was the GiPro one that I was looking at, I have a blue theme going on my silver FZS600 but noticed looking at the pictures of the GiPro that the blue display does not stand out much, so I have decided to go with the Green as it seems to be easier to see, plus the original neutral light is green so it's all in keeping with the rest of the gear indication.

Okies found them, but the Greyhill threw me a bit it's Greywell, the postcode you gave sorted it out.
Hook that is the nearest recognisable place for me and is only 18 miles from home, so, a nice day this week will have me out the the old Yamadoodle picking one up, after the sensible phone call first.
Cheers Robbo
tommy  :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2017, 04:24:07 pm »
Hi Tommy,
Just back from my blow out breakfast.
And that is the reason you need the 1K Fazer  :lol  and I can get away with the shrunken version :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 28 January 2017, 04:33:05 pm by tommyardin »

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2017, 04:26:51 pm »
As many replies above - fitted a GiproX last year.  Absolutely fantastic piece of kit & couldn't live without a Gear indicator now.

Only downside for me is that it's extremely bright at night & initially was quite distracting  - but like car headlights I don't focus on it.

I chose the red ( as advised was the best under all light conditions) - but I would have liked to try the blue (or any colour except white?) to compare them

Means one less thing to think about so i can concentrate on riding rather than constantly trying to remember what gear I'm in as well as everything else when approaching a bend / mythical 7th gear etc.

Hope this helps. :)
Paradox - A bit like paracetamol but different.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2017, 04:48:04 pm »
Yeah! that elusive 7th Gear is a bastard, its also embarrassing when your videoing your ride out.

Go-Pro mounted on the handle bars looking through your screen showing you Speedo and Rev Counter as well as the road ahead, 100 mph on the clock and climbing, you snick it up into the next gear 125 mph (Fucking mirrors now starting to swing backwards so you can only see your own shoulders and nowt behind you) you hook up for another cog and bollocks Iv'e done it again, no more cogs to play with, your video now looks like some twat is riding and doesn't know what hes doing, and, it not just the video footage that make you look a twat but the accompanying sound track now points it's accusing finger at you too  :'(

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2017, 04:54:48 pm »
As many replies above - fitted a GiproX last year.  Absolutely fantastic piece of kit & couldn't live without a Gear indicator now.

Only downside for me is that it's extremely bright at night & initially was quite distracting  - but like car headlights I don't focus on it.

I chose the red ( as advised was the best under all light conditions) - but I would have liked to try the blue (or any colour except white?) to compare them

Means one less thing to think about so i can concentrate on riding rather than constantly trying to remember what gear I'm in as well as everything else when approaching a bend / mythical 7th gear etc.

Hope this helps. :)

Is the blue readout easy enough to see in the daytime then Drax?
I don't ride at night or very very rarely, just sometimes if getting back later than I intended, so the glare of the indicator should not be an issue for me.

If the blue one is ok to see in the daylight then I might just go for that one as it matches my colour scheme.   

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2017, 06:17:37 pm »
Glad you sorted the address ok Tommy. I'd scribbled it down correctly but screwed up in my haste to post the info on here.Yeah you're right about needing a thou, as my racing snake days are long gone :lol .Nice looking bike you've got there, the 59 club sticker's a nice touch.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 January 2017, 09:07:14 pm »
Glad you sorted the address ok Tommy. I'd scribbled it down correctly but screwed up in my haste to post the info on here.Yeah you're right about needing a thou, as my racing snake days are long gone :lol .Nice looking bike you've got there, the 59 club sticker's a nice touch.

Yeah been a member since the mid to late 60's, still a member now but don't go to any of the club nights anymore. don't ride at nigh time and its not Kosher to arrive by car with all your leathers on.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2017, 08:14:31 am »

That's a nifty bit of kit!  Where can one actually obtain one from?

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2017, 08:42:27 am »
That's a nifty bit of kit!  Where can one actually obtain one from?
Drop Christian an email his address is at the bottom of the product page, he speaks excellent English.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2017, 08:43:18 am by PieEater »