Date: 23-04-24  Time: 16:25 pm

Author Topic: Tyres?  (Read 10109 times)

Adscan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - BWS125
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres?
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2017, 02:49:37 pm »
Tried Roadsmarts but had problems with losing pressure despite changing valves, perhaps I just had a bad pair......but replaced them with Pirelli angel GTs no problems with good grip and neutral 'drop in' on turning and plenty grip also good 2 up in my experience if that helps...

I did't think you could get Pirelli angel GT in a 110/70/17?

I need a pair of new tyres, i am going with Michelin PR3 and need a good supplier. Where is best to get them? online or garage/shop?

How much should i be paying to replace/fit on my FZS600
« Last Edit: 28 February 2017, 03:05:00 pm by Adscan »

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2017, 03:24:09 pm »
Tyreleader-- just bought PR3 Front and PR4 rear for £178 delivered

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2017, 09:07:56 pm »

If you're taking them to your local for fitting then allow say £20/wheel for fitting. Still cheaper than buying from a garage.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2017, 10:49:04 pm »
Has anyone fitted their own tyres,is it as easy as shown on certain websites with the right tools?. Smile
« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 08:22:34 am by bandit »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 March 2017, 08:43:19 am »
Has anyone fitted their own tyres,is it as easy as shown on certain websites with the right tools?. Smile

I fitted a front last time it needed doing. It was a bit of a struggle since I'm a bit weedy, but managed it with just levers, rim protectors and a bench vice.
I've not yet figured out how to do the rear... I need to figure out how to break the bead on the old tyre since it's too fat to fit in the vice.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 March 2017, 10:09:50 am »

I fitted a front last time it needed doing. It was a bit of a struggle since I'm a bit weedy, but managed it with just levers, rim protectors and a bench vice.
I've not yet figured out how to do the rear... I need to figure out how to break the bead on the old tyre since it's too fat to fit in the vice.

There are plenty of clues on YouTube on how to break the bead, some good, some a bit iffy, but they all work.
I've never changed my own tyres, i prefer to have it done using all the correct and easy to use tools at my mechanics, then have it properly balanced as well.
It's not that expensive if you take the loose wheel in, and i know the job's been done properly for peace of mind.
Which is a bit strange as my dad and both brothers were all tyre fitters back in the day, so i've watched their methods of changing tyres on all sorts of vehicles over the years.  :smash
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 March 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
I too don't think I have ever had a matching set. I don't do the miles to wear them down quick enough and whenever I have needed one - say for the front they have dropped the model of my back so I get the latest one for the front and by the time I am ready for the back they have replaced the model of the front I had.
Every time they bring a new one out its their "best yet" more grip more wear, are they really all that different to the ones that were about 2 years ago were "the best yet"

Same as that, is the latest model of this or that tyre that much better than its predecessor?
Darren my mechanic that does my MOT and tyres rides an FZS600 Boxeye himself, he and his brother are the owners of their company. Plug coming up,

A Force Motorcycles of Aldershot 01252 334151.I would recommend these guys to anyone.

Now if a guy that has access to any make or model of tyre on the market fits Bridgestone Battlax BT021 sport tourers to his Fazer well that's a good enough recommendation for me.
Another plug for A Force Motorcycles, when I first bought my Fazer about 4 years or so ago the front tyre keep losing about 10 PSI pressure over a week or so period and try as I could I could not find where it was leaking. Mrs was out one day and bath half full of warm water (Well you don't want cold fingers) front wheel off the bike and in the tub, ahh! there it is a small stream of bubble coming from between the valve and the rim.

I rang up a local motorcycle shop (Who will remain nameless, cos it's only fair) to be told that they were happy to take a look and remedy the fault, great, then I was given a date about 5 weeks ahead as an appointment, click wurrrr.

Chatting to a friend of a mate of mine he said 'give A Force a bell' I did and Darren said bring it over this afternoon, but we close at 5-30.
I was back home quick, front wheel off the bike, me and wheel in my van blasting off in Aldershot direction, shit I did not have their address on me or my phone Oh! bollocks. I pulled up outside the workshop at 5-20 something, Darren was so helpful, I was red faced hot and flustered :o and thoroughly pissed off with myself for my own stupidity in the rush.

Well I was very, very impressed with the attention to detail that he poured out on my tyre and wheel, firstly cleaning the rim and confirmed the problem.

Tyre off, really taking care to look after the rim, cleaned the inside of the rim removing a tiny bit of oxidisation from in there, sprayed it with something to help stop it from reforming, new valve in, cleaned the rim of the tyre inspected the tread surface and popped it back on the wheel, balanced the wheel and added weight after cleaning the weight area with a spirit cleaner that evaporated instantly.

Now other places I have been to in the past have had signs up 'NO CUSTOMERS ALLOWED IN THE WORKSHOP AREA' these guys welcome you to come and watch.

I asked what the damage was (Financially) and was told no charge, I asked why? to be told that 'When you want work done or tyres in the future you will remember that we looked after you) What do you say, this guy did the repair the same afternoon of my initial call and was not going to charge me, not even for the new valve he fitted. I insisted he had a tenner for a couple of pints. Guess where I go for my tyres and MOT's?

I made one fatal error that day, the Mrs bellowed what the hell have you been doing in the bath. Tide mark of brake dust and general road grime around the bath :'(
« Last Edit: 01 March 2017, 01:31:20 pm by tommyardin »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 March 2017, 04:07:15 pm »
Thanks Tommy, I'll give them a try since I'm not far away. :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 March 2017, 07:11:57 pm »
I'm planning on buying new rubber pretty soon and I was wondering what everyone here tends to go for? I'm currently considering Dunlop Roadsmart 3's since they seem to have very good reviews. Also does anyone use a non stock profile for their tyres?
If your buying new rubbers Durex is the way to go :lol

That's latex, mate ;)

The ones Tommy have are so old they are probably rubber and silver in colour  :lol :lol :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 March 2017, 12:26:18 am »
I'm planning on buying new rubber pretty soon and I was wondering what everyone here tends to go for? I'm currently considering Dunlop Roadsmart 3's since they seem to have very good reviews. Also does anyone use a non stock profile for their tyres?

That's latex, mate ;)

The ones Tommy have are so old they are probably rubber and silver in colour  :lol :lol :lol

I will have you know they were brand new when I bought them, mind you that was 50 years ago in Latchfords men's hairdressers in Haslmere Surrey, Something for the weekend Sir. I thought that I might have a use for them, but there they are still in the silver foil packet, never opened :'(
« Last Edit: 02 March 2017, 12:27:31 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 March 2017, 12:29:14 am »
Thanks Tommy, I'll give them a try since I'm not far away. :)

Cool they are two nice guys that run a small honest business that try their very best to be helpful.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 March 2017, 07:59:37 am »

That's latex, mate ;)

I will have you know they were brand new when I bought them, mind you that was 50 years ago in Latchfords men's hairdressers in Haslmere Surrey, Something for the weekend Sir. I thought that I might have a use for them, but there they are still in the silver foil packet, never opened :'(
:rollin :rollin :rollin

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 March 2017, 02:13:48 pm »
Don't laugh to  much I have developed the muscles in my right wrist to a fantastic level :eek

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2017, 09:25:03 am »

Hi peeps, picking up my new (to me) bike today. The shop has fitted a new pair of Dunlop Qualifiers and I was wondering what, if any experience anyone on here had had with them. I'm thinking I may have them removed and stick a set of RoadSmarts on, and see what I can get for the 70 mile worn, Qualifiers on Ebay or whatever, but if they're any good I may keep them on. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2017, 01:00:21 pm »

Hi peeps, picking up my new (to me) bike today. The shop has fitted a new pair of Dunlop Qualifiers and I was wondering what, if any experience anyone on here had had with them. I'm thinking I may have them removed and stick a set of RoadSmarts on, and see what I can get for the 70 mile worn, Qualifiers on Ebay or whatever, but if they're any good I may keep them on. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Never heard anyone talk about them, in fact i've never even heard of them before!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2017, 06:34:27 pm »

Hi Darssi, they're the sportsmax D209. They just got me back 70 miles and kept me shiny side up on my new baby :D  I think I'll probably keep 'em on for a few hundred miles and see how I feel after that, they seemed ok today.

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2017, 07:21:29 pm »
Ok - very very new to motorbikes (passed test last week) and even newer to my Fazer. Have Bridgestone Battleaxe T30s on my bike but have a puncture on the front. I find the bike handles quite skittish over lines in the road when overtaking etc and have been advised it might be because of my tyres being more 'v' shaped than 'u' shaped. Does this make sense for these tyres? What's a more 'u' shaped tyre that I could replace it with? Sorry for possible a really stupid question

JoeyMcEssex

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Guzzi Breva 1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2017, 07:36:38 pm »
just put Michelin Pilot Road 3F 4R combination on my Fazer, after set of worn Bridgestones, and they have transformed the handling.

Seems a few others have noticed the strange V shape wear pattern on T30s.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2017, 08:07:48 pm »
just put Michelin Pilot Road 3F 4R combination on my Fazer, after set of worn Bridgestones, and they have transformed the handling.

Seems a few others have noticed the strange V shape wear pattern on T30s.

PR3 + PR4 is a great combo.

The Bridgestone \_/ shape tyre is very typical of all Bridgestones Ive had 21's 23's etc.

Ok - very very new to motorbikes (passed test last week) and even newer to my Fazer. Have Bridgestone Battleaxe T30s on my bike but have a puncture on the front. I find the bike handles quite skittish over lines in the road when overtaking etc and have been advised it might be because of my tyres being more 'v' shaped than 'u' shaped. Does this make sense for these tyres? What's a more 'u' shaped tyre that I could replace it with? Sorry for possible a really stupid question

Not a stupid question Ben - if it's all new then we all start somewhere. All tyres start as a 'u' shape but for some reason Bridgestones seem more susceptible than others. When the tyre turns this shape then yup it will be very skittish over white lines and reluctant to turn into a bend. Only solution is replacement. What to replace with (manufacturer and model of tyre) is a very subjective matter based on the typical journey (commute or fun), dry weather riding only or 365 days etc and how the rider rides......aggressive or just from A to B. Factor in some unannounced financial constraints and the tyre choice moves again. All depends on above Ben.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2017, 08:10:52 pm by Frosties »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2017, 08:28:00 pm »

Sorry Darrsi, I spelt your name wrong earlier :rolleyes

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2017, 08:52:28 pm »
i have T30's on my 600 and they feel great once well warmed up up but i agree they do wear in a strange way , Maybe have a harder compound centre???? or just spend too much time leaned over  :b

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 March 2017, 09:11:59 pm »
Cheers guys. Appreciate the info. I'm looking for a general commuter tyre at the moment and will build up to a more fun tyre when I've got used to riding a bit more. I can feel the V shape in the trye and it's bloody scary for a newbie wobbling over white lines! I'm heading to get the tryes changed tomorrow and hopefully that'll gives so what would your advice be for a rookie rider commuter tyre?

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 March 2017, 09:14:52 pm »
Just to add to that - I would like a 365 day a year tyre but would imagine I'll do a whole lot more miles over the next 8 or so months than over the winter month's, so would choose a great summer trye that can be used a bit in the winter over a pretty good all rounder if that makes sense?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 March 2017, 10:32:33 pm »

Hiya Ben, in that case my advice and Joey (experienced rider) + others would recommend the Michelin PR3 Front and back as a matched pair. An improvement on this would be a Michelin PR3 Front and a Michelin PR4 rear (dual compound = harder centre section for lifespan). Online tyre suppliers will have them with you by say Tuesday if bought tomorrow so worth checking price at Tyreleader (other sites available - but Joey did the research for the combo pack). Ask your local supplier/fitter their price for the tyres and fitting as separate prices then use Joey's Tyrleader price as leverage  ;) [/size]
[/size]Post back how you get on fella.[size=78%]

ben17484

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 March 2017, 10:35:44 pm »
Cheers Frosties. That's the combo I'm seeing fairly regularly mentioned as a good pair. I'll take a look at the site and get some ordered.