Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:23 am

Author Topic: STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner  (Read 8619 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner
« on: 22 January 2017, 01:58:53 pm »
I use this stuff once a year, and have found it to be one of the only liquids that actually does a good job.
Plus it makes a change to get a good deal out of Halfords for once.

Just been pointed out that it's 50% off in store.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-complete-fuel-system-cleaner-petrol-400ml
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
Good shout darrsi, been after getting some redex so might give this a go instead. Rather something that someone's had some kind of results from 🖒

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2017, 01:21:19 pm »
Good shout darrsi, been after getting some redex so might give this a go instead. Rather something that someone's had some kind of results from 🖒

I've tried Redex several times over the years but without any noticeable difference.
Make sure you only buy the "Complete Fuel System" version though.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2017, 10:32:52 pm »
ok, I'll be the first with the numpty questions

1. I take it you're putting it in the bike as opposed to a cage?

2. are you running fuel low, putting this in then topping the tank up?

end of numptiness :lol

fire never sleeps

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2017, 10:53:06 pm »
ok, I'll be the first with the numpty questions

1. I take it you're putting it in the bike as opposed to a cage?

2. are you running fuel low, putting this in then topping the tank up? Mixes better this way fella !

end of numptiness :lol

Numpty Q answered.   Basics....................feckin basics  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2017, 11:40:40 pm »
Never driven a car, so not applicable to me.
I think a bottle is meant to treat about 60 litres of fuel (don't quote me on that) but i now shove the whole bottle into a full tank of fuel and let it do its thing.
I use it 'cos of my daily short runs, i don't get to blast the bike as much as i'd like these days, so it certainly works for me.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2017, 10:43:07 am »
There are several petrols available that claim to do the same thing as the STP stuff, so if you must, you might as well just use BP Ultimate or a similar fuel rather than waste money on a 'treatment'.
 It is debateable if these cleaners do anything at all really, if you think your carbs, pipes etc really are dirty causing poor running then the proper response is to dismantle them and clean them up properly, or at very least remove and inspect what lies at the bottom of a float bowl for clues to any contamination. If you really do have a problem then adding snake oil and hoping for the best is a waste of time and money.
You never see before and after pictures of what these treatments are supposed to do, anybody got some?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2017, 11:12:28 am »
There are several petrols available that claim to do the same thing as the STP stuff, so if you must, you might as well just use BP Ultimate or a similar fuel rather than waste money on a 'treatment'.
 It is debateable if these cleaners do anything at all really, if you think your carbs, pipes etc really are dirty causing poor running then the proper response is to dismantle them and clean them up properly, or at very least remove and inspect what lies at the bottom of a float bowl for clues to any contamination. If you really do have a problem then adding snake oil and hoping for the best is a waste of time and money.
You never see before and after pictures of what these treatments are supposed to do, anybody got some?

If you don't want it then don't fucking buy it you whingebag, nobody's forcing you are they???
Crikey, I try and do people a favour with stuff I've used over the years, and due to my short commutes I've found it to clear up any throatiness my bike has developed over time.
If you don't believe me, then I couldn't really give a shit, I'm not spending your money!

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2017, 11:24:52 am »

If you don't want it then don't fucking buy it you whingebag, nobody's forcing you are they???
Crikey, I try and do people a favour with stuff I've used over the years, and due to my short commutes I've found it to clear up any throatiness my bike has developed over time.
If you don't believe me, then I couldn't really give a shit, I'm not spending your money!

So, I see, you want to use this forum as a noticeboard for your own personal proclamations and those who don't agree with you can expect an infantile response.
 I thought forums were for discussion, I merely stated why I don't use this stuff (and by the way, most of us don't) and the reasons why.
 Doing people a favour? Well, saving them money is a favour too.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2017, 01:10:03 pm »

So, I see, you want to use this forum as a noticeboard for your own personal proclamations and those who don't agree with you can expect an infantile response.
 I thought forums were for discussion, I merely stated why I don't use this stuff (and by the way, most of us don't) and the reasons why.

All you've done is slag the product off, most likely without even ever trying it no doubt, which is your choice, and have indirectly hinted that it's totally useless.
Well i think you're talking bollocks, that's my opinion.
And great, you don't use it, bully for you, but that doesn't make anyone else an idiot for giving it a go does it?
You weren't discussing, you were sniping.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2017, 01:31:02 pm »
The reviews left on the Halfords website from car users all seem very positive and i think for £7.50 a pot this isnt bad value for money, if if its helped a car driver through an emmissions test and subsequent MOT Pass surely its worth it for that?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-complete-fuel-system-cleaner-petrol-400ml

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2017, 02:41:22 pm »

Aftermarket additives often seem to generate an almost religious faith, typified by the sort of abusive over-reaction you get when you suggest some scientific evidence would be useful.
I haven't tried any of these treatments, regarding them as a complete rip-off. Added to which, I'd be very reluctant to use anything containing solvents such as xylene or trimethylbenzene as they're damaging to most types of rubber.
There's never been anything in my carbs by way of varnish deposits that these overpriced paraffin/detergent/paint thinner mixtures would be able to shift. The only time they have have suffered blocked jets it's been with inorganic metal salts and hydroxides caused by bimetallic corrosion... physical cleaning has been the solution.
I'd agree with the Pieman, the occasional tankful of high-detergent fuel is probably a more economical way of dealing with any varnish. And a long hard thrash is a more effective (and enjoyable) way of burning off any carbon deposits caused by a lot of short, slow journeys... it also has the side-effect of turning any mayonnaise in the sump back into oil.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2017, 03:17:46 pm »

All you've done is slag the product off, most likely without even ever trying it no doubt, which is your choice, and have indirectly hinted that it's totally useless.
And great, you don't use it, bully for you, but that doesn't make anyone else an idiot for giving it a go does it?

Why would i want to try it? My bike runs fine thanks and my fuel system is still every bit as clean as yours, with the bonus being I don't throw away money buying nonesense products in the meantime.
 If you have a rough running machine get a diagnosis and then you'll know how it should be repaired, that's an engineering philosophy that goes back to the spinning wheel. A machine that sounds a bit 'throaty' is not a diagnosis of anything. Using STP just for the sake of it is like taking chloroquine every day just in case that cough you have is 'probably' malaria.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2017, 04:01:41 pm »

Using STP just for the sake of it is like taking chloroquine every day just in case that cough you have is 'probably' malaria.

Coughing is not a symptom of Malaria......... Just saying.......... :thumbup
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2017, 04:23:00 pm »

Using STP just for the sake of it is like taking chloroquine every day just in case that cough you have is 'probably' malaria.

Coughing is not a symptom of Malaria......... Just saying.......... :thumbup

intentional false analogy.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2017, 04:38:33 pm »
 :lurk
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2017, 05:08:30 pm »
As I pointed out earlier, you were sniping.
Now you're just being an argumentative twat, which I presume was your sole intention in the first place.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2017, 05:22:12 pm »
Can we get back to arguing about politics again  :evil

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2017, 05:42:18 pm »
Now you're just being an argumentative twat, which I presume was your sole intention in the first place.

Well it wasn't, a counter explanation on why you think your bike needs magic potions to run properly was all i expected not arguement.
 Why the offensive perjorative? How old are you?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2017, 07:31:05 pm »

Well it wasn't, a counter explanation on why you think your bike needs magic potions to run properly was all i expected not arguement.

Waz two!! As four the perjorative, he isn't in kort and isn't lying  :pokefun
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2017, 08:53:09 pm »

I'd already explained that the stuff has worked on my bike before, a few times actually, so why should i need a counter explanation? How many times do i need to say it, or do you want photos and proof?
Seeing as you seem to have the issue with this magical snake oil, how about you prove to everyone that it doesn't work?
Has it ever occurred to you that if someoneone had a clogged jet for instance they may not have the skills, tools, time, shelter from weather, or money to give to a mechanic to sort things out, but lo and behold, for a now bargain priced £7.50 the STP Cleaner may just sort them out, and by simply just riding the bike as normal?
I don't s'pose any of that crossed your mind really?

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2017, 09:05:13 pm »
Totally agree with darrsi If someone wants to put additives in their fuel why shouldn't they ? Surely it's their bike their money and their choice and all darrsi was doing was putting it out there that he does and it's half price at the mo and it works for him, I'm not mechanically confident enough to dismantle carbs and I'd think about it to help my fuel system If it saved a few hundred a quid for a mechanic to do the work Like mtread said let's go back to arguing about politics , it's sooooo much more fun  :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2017, 09:14:56 pm »
I thought STP was a political party.  :lol

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 January 2017, 09:21:05 pm »
Are they pro Brexit ??

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2017, 09:25:38 pm »

No,no,no, its a disease that people who are lucky enough to have a sex life catch.