Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:42 pm

Author Topic: New to a Fazer  (Read 4942 times)

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
New to a Fazer
« on: 19 January 2017, 08:16:21 pm »
Hello.  Just bought a 2013 Fazer 8.  Awaiting delivery.  Top tips on owning/modifying?
Laziness leads to efficiency!

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Re: New to a Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2017, 09:46:06 am »
Morning, i wouldnt worry too much about modifying it at this stage. would get out and ride it first, see what you like/dislike about it and go from there. As its a cold, wet horrible time of year i would concentrate on buying decent gear to make your ride more comfortable and enjoyable. Then once you have done a few thousand miles on her at various speeds on various roads you will know if you like the tyres, suspension, brakes, overall handling etc etc.

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Thanks for that.  I just wondered whether anyone had come across anything they consider essential changes for the bike.  Fully intending to be a mainly fair weather rider :D .  Had lots of Jap 4s in the past and love them, so the Fazer appealed as soon as I saw it.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
New to a Fazer
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2017, 10:39:40 am »
I agree, had my 2012 Fazer 8 since Sept 2012 as ex demo, absolutely love it, previously has 5PW R1, which  have given to my son, and Gen1 Fazer 1000 which I loved but 50 kgs heavier than R1 so after 2 years reluctantly found it a new home, it had been Ivanised so nearly as quick as R1 but I am 9 stone and 5'6" so bit of an unequal struggle, briefly had the Gen 2 which I hated, hence the 8.
Does touring, track days commuting, all I have added is heated grips.
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2017, 05:01:28 pm »
Nice bike.  And nice to know you haven't found the need to change it at all.  Mine arrives on Tuesday.  Can't wait.

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2017, 12:57:57 pm »
Just for info'.  I found the GoCompare website considerably cheaper for insurance.  I suppose it's dependant on the individual's circumstances.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
New to a Fazer
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2017, 08:09:56 am »
Just realised you are not far from me lol Have friends who live at Ashburnham and my IAM bike group went to Ogri's at Horam last Sunday. Hope you have been able to find a decent slot of reasonable weather to enjoy your bike. We are off to Essex today, meeting at Dartford, so fingers crossed.
Enjoy
Christine  8)
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

KENT62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2017, 06:36:02 pm »
Hello Christine, No outings yet due to a combination of work and weather  :rolleyes .  Soon though.  I hope the Horam run went well.  Had a great breakfast there sometime ago.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2017, 10:21:32 pm »
Morning, i wouldnt worry too much about modifying it at this stage. would get out and ride it first, see what you like/dislike about it and go from there. As its a cold, wet horrible time of year i would concentrate on buying decent gear to make your ride more comfortable and enjoyable. Then once you have done a few thousand miles on her at various speeds on various roads you will know if you like the tyres, suspension, brakes, overall handling etc etc.

The voice of reason I feel  :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2017, 10:25:20 pm »
I agree, had my 2012 Fazer 8 since Sept 2012 as ex demo, absolutely love it, previously has 5PW R1, which  have given to my son, and Gen1 Fazer 1000 which I loved but 50 kgs heavier than R1 so after 2 years reluctantly found it a new home, it had been Ivanised so nearly as quick as R1 but I am 9 stone and 5'6" so bit of an unequal struggle, briefly had the Gen 2 which I hated, hence the 8.
Does touring, track days commuting, all I have added is heated grips.

I did notice grandma's mirrors are both folded up so she flying and no one is going to pass her so why would she need to look in them. :lol

cy8rm4n

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
 Sorry to resurrect this old topic, seemed more fiiting to what I'm saying than starting a new one.

Had my Fazer 8 for a few days now. Initial thoughts, having come from a Street Triple R, is it's far less frantic, power delivery although still there is far smoother & comfort wise it's like being back in a favourite old armchair. Compared to the STR the bike feels huge & bulky but I realise that's just my imagination as it fits up the alley at the side of the house easier. The half fairing to me makes me feel like I'm on a big faired Electra Glide Harley, but again I know it's all in the mind. It's a very laid back ride compared to the STR but can turn it on when it needs to. I haven't noticed the lull in power at around 5000rpm that I've read about, but maybe that's just my riding style.

In terms of mods/ upgrades I'm considering crash bungs, engine protectors, radiator guard & a rear seat cowl. Anyone know a good place to get one at a reasonable price? I'll probably get these in bits & bobs rather than all at once to spread the cost.

No regrets yet on my change of bike. Is it a better bike? Well I can't answer that yet. It's certainly a different bike & I think more suited to me & what I need/ use a bike for.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2017, 06:01:44 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this old topic, seemed more fiiting to what I'm saying than starting a new one.

Had my Fazer 8 for a few days now. Initial thoughts, having come from a Street Triple R, is it's far less frantic, power delivery although still there is far smoother & comfort wise it's like being back in a favourite old armchair. Compared to the STR the bike feels huge & bulky but I realise that's just my imagination as it fits up the alley at the side of the house easier. The half fairing to me makes me feel like I'm on a big faired Electra Glide Harley, but again I know it's all in the mind. It's a very laid back ride compared to the STR but can turn it on when it needs to. I haven't noticed the lull in power at around 5000rpm that I've read about, but maybe that's just my riding style.

In terms of mods/ upgrades I'm considering crash bungs, engine protectors, radiator guard & a rear seat cowl. Anyone know a good place to get one at a reasonable price? I'll probably get these in bits & bobs rather than all at once to spread the cost.

No regrets yet on my change of bike. Is it a better bike? Well I can't answer that yet. It's certainly a different bike & I think more suited to me & what I need/ use a bike for.

Sounds like the beginning of as long and happy marriage.
 :lol