Date: 18-04-24  Time: 05:20 am

Author Topic: Front Sprocket Nut  (Read 2635 times)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Front Sprocket Nut
« on: 19 January 2017, 03:21:20 pm »
Ok i know this topic has probably been done to death by now but mine is more of an "in your opinion" kind of question. So heres the situation, my 2003 Fazer has the 9mm old style nut on, however upon checking this there is no play what so ever and it seems tighter than a ducks arse. Me being a paranoid son of a bitch and now having to totally rely on my bike for commuting have ordered the uprated 12mm nut and lock washer. My question is should i leave the 9mm one on until such time it is causing issues or should i replace it straight away?

I have read many a horror story about the 9mm nut but also some about the 12mm one also coming astray??  Any advice or info from you seasoned foccers would be much appreciated

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sprocket Nut
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2017, 03:28:13 pm »
I found myself in the same position. Ended up having it changed alongside chain and sprocket set when became due. But if it bothers you when on bike then get it changed, no fun otherwise. Andy

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2017, 04:56:35 pm »

The original fitting seems to stay put OK, certainly for earlier models, due to the excessively strong threadlock (aka superglue) Yamaha use.
There seems to be a suspicion that later models (i.e. yours) may have an undersized threaded section on the shaft. It might be worth measuring diameter of the exposed tip to see if it's less than 17.8mm. This would be useful info for everyone since with 13,000-odd miles on it it sounds very likely yours is one that's never lost the nut and is in the same state as it left the factory.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
I seem to remember someone saying that the later models were not affected. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to put me right.

mines a 2000, with the old nut on and I have a new one ready to fit. I really should get around to changing it, as it never 'starts becoming an issue', it'll just go catastrophic fairly quickly.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2017, 06:02:13 pm »
When my bike was 10 years old, CMC at Clay Cross changed the nut free of charge.
Worth asking a Yam dealer the question.

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2017, 06:24:55 pm »
if its not fell off by now its unlikely to suddenly just fall off  if its be torqued on properly with some locktite i would doubt  it will come loose

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2017, 06:31:50 pm »
OK, well you know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I now have the 12mm nut so I will periodically check the sprocket nut and if its knackered I will replace with the 12mm. Am I correct in thinking the nut works its way loose as opposed to a sudden catastrophic failure?

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2017, 06:35:20 pm »
i would think so as it has a locking washer so i would think it would need to chew its  way  through that i no when i changed  my sprockets i  had a hell of a time trying to get it off never even bothered to see what one it  was i just buzzed it back on no problems so far although i do have the up rated one i will prolly fit at some point

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2017, 06:59:47 pm »
Mines a 2003 with around 17k on it and mine had a little bit of play so I changed it to the upgrade nut.
If anyone's looking at this and want more info I made a video when I checked the nut and when I changed it:
https://youtu.be/tkeH9n2E02w
https://youtu.be/QrC0P-VtOmE

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2017, 07:21:27 pm »
... Am I correct in thinking the nut works its way loose as opposed to a sudden catastrophic failure?
No. Earlier models have a "damper plate" attached inside the sprocket cover. when the nut comes loose it can't fall off but just rattles about on the shaft destroying whatever was left of its thread. The thread on the shaft can survive this reasonably well as its a much harder steel.
Yours probably doesn't have the plate, this gives enough clearance at the end of the shaft to allow a loose nut to fall off the end. The sprocket is then free to wander along the shaft wrecking the thread and depriving you of drive.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2017, 07:33:04 pm »
Here is the extra noise damping that the very early ones have screwed on to the inside of the cover - the thing with the X on it the nut gets to the end of the shaft and hits the X so cannot fully drop off.
If its all good then keep a close eye on it until you need to replace the sprockets then fit with the wider nut.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 07:36:15 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2017, 07:37:33 pm »
so the erlier ones  you would hear it before it would become a problem ? mine is a 99 and according to fowlers mine has the damper and plate

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2017, 07:39:50 pm »
mmmmmm with the above in mind I will keep a watchful eye on the but, I'm guessing there are warning signs of free play and movement in the sprocket such as noise etc. Also for reference I have posted pics of the kit I ordered as I know there is lots of confusion over part numbers etc so from left to right we have firstly the kit (this is the overall package containing everything) then in the middle we have the but and finally on the right we have the retaining washer. So to be 100% clear order the kit (far left) which comprises of everything you need. I got this from www.wemoto.com at a reasonable price.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2017, 08:19:42 pm »
mmmmmm with the above in mind I will keep a watchful eye on the but, I'm guessing there are warning signs of free play and movement in the sprocket such as noise etc. Also for reference I have posted pics of the kit I ordered as I know there is lots of confusion over part numbers etc so from left to right we have firstly the kit (this is the overall package containing everything) then in the middle we have the but and finally on the right we have the retaining washer. So to be 100% clear order the kit (far left) which comprises of everything you need. I got this from www.wemoto.com at a reasonable price.

They have ripped you off as they have sent you empty bags
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
:) thought the bag was light

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2017, 09:27:18 pm »

They have ripped you off as they have sent you empty bags

Some people are so gulable. I bought an air spanner a while ago and on opening the box found it to be empty, I complained to the retailer and he asked me if I had opened the box and I replied of course, his reply was well what do you expect then.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2017, 09:13:56 am »
Some joker told me the other day he needed an air ambulance. You should have seen his face... it was blue.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

doug1e

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - BMW R1200RT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 02:59:19 pm »
Mine is a '99 model, 20k miles and having seen the horror stories decided to upgrade with the 12mm nut recently. When I opened the lock washer I didn't need a socket I was able to take the nut off with my fingers!!!

daviee

« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2017, 05:06:03 pm »
was it still on the original sprockets or had they been changed ?