Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:43 pm

Author Topic: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.  (Read 9627 times)

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.
« on: 17 January 2017, 01:56:35 pm »
OK so I got the thing booked in for mot today. Riding the the test centre a big rattle made itself present and I have a lot of oil being blown down the exhaust. Also a bit of white stuff in the baffle?

Gonna see if they will mot it any way now I am here. Got a big can off oil to top up for ride back.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 11:37:24 pm by rw711 »
Russ :)

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
Re: Big oil leak. Oil coming through exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2017, 02:07:00 pm »
Or decideas to get it recovered?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2017, 02:09:36 pm »
That doesn't sound good: dropped valve maybe?
How many miles has the engine done?

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2017, 02:14:09 pm »
About 53k recorded... assuming original engine?
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 03:54:28 pm by rw711 »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2017, 02:28:59 pm »
Well it'll probably fail the MOT on emissions.
is it a bike garage, can they diagnose the problem? It sounds fairly catastrophic to me and I would advise against riding it home.

it sounds like a damaged piston / ring, conrod, head or valve.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2017, 02:34:56 pm »
It passed! No advisory except the bloody oil leak 😂

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2017, 03:03:22 pm »
But where is the oil coming from? What is the "white stuff" in the baffle? I presume you rode it home, what is the engine running like?
If it was my bike I would be a bit worried.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2017, 03:38:53 pm »
It's not straightforward as I live 100 miles from the test station.   On topping oil up the bike started revving hard. So assuming it is running on the engine oil ? Waiting for recovery.  Wondering if easiest thing to do would be looking out for a second hand engine. Got some pics exhaust and leaks. Will try up load

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2017, 03:50:37 pm »
There's engine rattle and obvious oil consumption but no other obvious performance  decrease (woolly due to carbsome needing done, but it was like that before).  Doesn't make sense to ride it though in case further damage caused. 
I  can't upload pics on my phone.  But will when I get back to pc
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 03:58:38 pm by rw711 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2017, 04:13:31 pm »
Silly question, but why are you 100 miles away from an MOT station?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2017, 04:20:59 pm »
I live in the Highlands our local mot does bikes but  the guy who does bikes works away too. So it's the next nearest as a lot of places only do cars.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2017, 04:21:08 pm »
There's engine rattle and obvious oil consumption but no other obvious performance  decrease (woolly due to carbsome needing done, but it was like that before).  Doesn't make sense to ride it though in case further damage caused. 

Not wanting to be an Ogre, but the word Focced comes to mind.

rw says its white in the exhaust, if its dry white it may point to a valve head or seat, it could possibly be an exhaust valve and the weak fuel mixture is being ignited in the exhaust causing the whiteness. Spark plugs electrode go white if the mixture is really weak.
If its wet and scummy it could be head gasket water/oil mix. Oil and water frothing up, although this is usually found in the radiator cap.

What-ever it is riding it seems a bad idea.

Looking forward to seeing rw's pictures.

Good luck rw  :thumbup . I hope it is neither of the above and it turns out to be an easy fix

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2017, 05:43:32 pm »
Pics on  Facebook page. Will put on here later

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2017, 05:47:56 pm »

Frothy oil, not good, water in the engine, head Gasket or cracked block/water jacket somewhere allowing water into the engine.

Kerching Kerching £££££££.

Compression stroke pressurising the cooling system and induction stroke drawing water into the combustion chamber and exiting it out the exhaust.
Engine full of water/oil foam.

I reckon if you feel the bike is worth it (Condition) a lump from a crashed donner bike might be the way to go ,as you will have all the cases and stuff if any are damaged on the donner lump.

Good luck rw keep us informed.

I hope I am totally wrong but things are pointing that way I'm afraid.
tommy
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 05:56:23 pm by tommyardin »

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2017, 11:36:45 pm »

Pics added....

Here's hoping that it is nothing more serious than the head gasket, it is indeed wet white gunk as opposed to dry : the bike would have passed the MOT without advisories if it hadnt been for the oil leak  :rolleyes  - Everything is pointing to that though I need to check coolant level/condition still as it was well dark and me well pissed off by time we got back here!

The guy who recovered it knew about bikes, had a few of his own and he was reckoning that most of the other symptoms could be explained by it:

The rattling through loss of oil viscosity, oil pressure light coming on even though oil still in

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: PICs now Added - Oil coming through exhaust.
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2017, 12:03:43 am »
Noticed from your earlier posts looks like you've only recently bought the Fazer. Any comeback on the seller?

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2017, 12:17:11 am »
Noticed from your earlier posts looks like you've only recently bought the Fazer. Any comeback on the seller?
Not really, it was very cheap!! - ran and sounded ok , there was a coolant leak at time which was negotiated - I suppose if this coolant leak had been there a long time it could have contributed to the head gasket going but pretty tenuous. The engine otherwise seemed good and sounded fine no rattles or odd noises/behaviour at the time- and sold as seen of course.

Even if I have to get a new head or even engine it will still have been a bargain, but just could do without it as had a good look over the bike and sorted the problem areas, as MOT proved - if it hadnt of been for the oil leaking from the exhaust it would have got a clear pass no advisories. It had only done 300 miles since last MOT (done  may - 2015 exp may 2016) - IN fact mileage has been low right through mot history - as far as can be traced back.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2017, 01:29:47 am »
Not good news.  Pulling the plugs out will probably show which cylinder affected but have to get head off to see what the real problem is whether it just needs a new head gasket but my guess from the amount of stuff coming through the exhaust is it's a bit more serious than that.  My guess would be a dropped valve and subsequent damage to piston cylinder and head.

Real shame after you just getting to know the bike

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2017, 07:41:41 am »
See if you can get hold of a compression tester and check each cylinder in turn fella. With a bit of luck it's just worn piston rings  :) 
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 January 2017, 07:46:56 am »
My guess is a crack in the cylinder head/blown head gasket. The oil light is a level indicator not pressure so loss of oil would bring the light on. What colour is the coolant?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2017, 08:30:10 am »

Just a theory here but if a valve had broken then surely there'd be a drop in power and the engine would be chugging away on three cylinders? You said there was no performance drop so it sounds to me like the engine's still in one piece but it's dumped all it's oil for some reason and as a result of the lack of oil it started making terrible noises. Since you've had the bike did you top up the oil? If you did how much did you put in? It's easy to put way too much oil in these bikes if you don't follow the manual. It's usually done by topping up the oil while it's on the side stand. I'd wonder was the oil level way too high and when you rode the bike the stress created by the extra oil blew seals and gaskets or broke something internally and it dumped all the oil out. Then started make all the noise from lack of oil. These engines really don't burn much oil at all. Any topping up should be a very small amount, never a liter or more.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2017, 10:42:07 am »
As it was so cheap you might want to cut your losses and buy an engine for a couple of hundred £. Then break this one in your own time and repair or sell the good bits to get some money back.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2017, 02:25:05 pm »
My guess is it's nothing to do with the valves after seeing rw's pictures.

Definitely a water issue, I thought to start with maybe valves but the white stuff is not dry but it is wet and frothy.

Looking at the inside of the oil filler cap proves that it is 100% water in oil, just need to find out how/why its getting in there. head gasket or cracked block, could be either.

And for the sludgy foam to be getting onto the exhaust is worrying.

I am amazed that the damn thing even ran with that amount of stuff coming out of the exhaust and not just the foam but oil as well, it had to be passing through the combustion chambers, i can see no other way it could get there as the exhaust is only connection to the engine via the combustion chambers.

Good luck sorting it rw, my condolences mate, I use the word condolences begrudgingly as it a term that is only usually used when speaking of a death or bereavement.
:look
Best case scenario is:
I'm going to stick my neck out here and plump for the cylinder head cracked, (Especially as it sounds like it had possibly been running low on coolant because of the leak) that is the most likely/direct way both oil and water are going to enter the combustion chambers, so maybe a new head and a bit of surgery will have the patient up and about again in no time . Lets hope so and we can forget the condolences.
tommy
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 02:34:55 pm by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2017, 03:02:39 pm »
I am amazed that the damn thing even ran with that amount of stuff coming out of the exhaust

It's a Fazer ...................

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2017, 05:23:09 pm »
This might be looking on the bright side a bit too much but I think it's a bit early to say the head gasket or head is blown. All you can say for sure is that it's dumped a load of oil out the exhaust and started making a racket. The oil filler cap can look like that on a bike that's been parked up for a long time. Also when you burn petrol it creates water vapour so if the bike was over filled with oil and it was pushing oil past the rings and into the exhaust and it was mixing with the water vapour in the exhaust you could get that mayo looking oil coming out the exhaust. Also he didn't say anything about it over heating or running rough which I think you'd expect from a blown head gasket. He'll have to drain the oil and check what condition it's in is it milky and then check the condition of the coolant before any accurate guesses could be made. It could well be that the head or the head gasket is gone but I don't think you could say that yet. To me it looks like the symptoms of over filling the oil but that can knacker all sorts of things and write off an engine. Pull the plugs out too
« Last Edit: 18 January 2017, 05:25:00 pm by His Dudeness »