Date: 16-04-24  Time: 09:01 am

Author Topic: Someone was asking about cheap Go-Pro alternatives  (Read 1084 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Someone was asking about cheap Go-Pro alternatives
« on: 10 January 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
Hi guys someone was asking about cheap/sensibly priced sports cams suitable for recording trips and ride outs.
I saw this little beast in Robert Dias this afternoon in Petersfield, (See Picture) I'm sure all stores can get them.
Don't know anything about them but from a store like Robert Dias you will certainly be able to take it back if it does not do what it claims, worth a look anyway if your thinking about one.
I noticed also that in Alton, Hants, that 'Aldi' also have one for £39.99 that they claim is 4K  :eek

I personally have no knowledge of either of these cameras, but fitness for purpose and merchantable quality laws must come into play, if you are unhappy with your purchase you can always take it back and get a refund if it fails to perform as stated.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 05:25:31 pm by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Someone was asking about cheap Go-Pro alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2017, 05:21:27 pm »
I got an Eken H9R for Xmas. 4K, WiFi and with a remote control. Superb. Also about £45.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2017, 05:35:05 pm »
wish I had taken a picture of the 'Aldi' one but did not think about it at the time.
I have a Go-Pro Hero 3 Silver that I purchased about 4 years ago, it is very good, but, when I come to replace it I certainly would not want to be spending 300 quid plus again.
I will go the alternative route myself
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 05:37:43 pm by tommyardin »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2017, 07:13:06 pm »
These cheap action cameras are OK on paper, but they've kept the price low by using a tiny sensor and lens so the low light performance will be poor.
They also use a very small battery... it'll give perhaps 90 minutes recording time (in warm conditions) when new, but after it's been flattened a few times will be useless. I bought something similar a while back and after recording my commute 3 times a week for a few months the battery life was down to about 20 minutes.
If you only want to have a rough record of brief daytime rides (or can arrange a power feed through the waterproof casing) then it's worth considering, otherwise you'll probably find it a disappointment.