Date: 26-04-24  Time: 08:48 am

Author Topic: howdy  (Read 16702 times)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Re: howdy
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2017, 03:02:44 pm »
Cheers Tommy, the previous owner has very kindly to provide a new battery so I think he knows he has stiffed me over this one, hence me getting straight onto the phone with him :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
Talking about the ignition switch on the Fazer FZS 600, which we weren't.
I have noticed of late that my key is becoming more and more difficult to turn, sometimes having to wiggle it in the lock for 5 or 10 seconds before it relinquishes it hold.
So Iv'e been on EvilBay trying to find a replacement, and there are lots on there for the 1998, 1999, 2000 and some for the 2001 model by nothing definitely for the 2002-2003 Foxeye model.
One buyer I looked at said that their lock fits all the FZS 600's from 1998 to 2003.

Does anyone have any info that they can share on this?

One other thing is that I start the old girl up every 3 or 4 days and let her run until hot/warm (10-12 minutes)

Starting process this time of year, 1/4 to 1/3rd choke, I do not touch the throttle quick dab on the starter button and it bursts into life and she is running smooth,instantly, 45 seconds and roll the choke completely off. Jobs a Gud-Un.

Today I went out to the shed went through the usual process 1/4 to 1/3rd choke, throttle a no-go zone as usual, quick dab on the starter button she burst into life but then faultered and stopped, dab number 2 on the button she burst into life again and ran OK!!! but did not sound quite right, 3 down pipes warm, 1 down pipe cold, second one in from the throttle/front brake lever side of the bike is cold, whilst kneeling down burning my fingers on 3 of the pipes I noticed a faint ticking noise from under the fuel tank, I'm suspecting I have an HT breakdown on that plug/lead. A couple of blips on the throttle had the bike running with it's usual dulcet tones, and then I burnt my finger on the offending down pipe.

The ignition key and the misfire I am convinced are not related.

I have read and sympathised with Darssi's issues with his recent misfire and failure on the startup front, Tank off tomorrow and remove all the caps, clip HT leads by 10mm and reattach all the plug caps/suppressors. I feel fairly confident this will cure that problem because of that electrical ticking noise I heard, and, the fact that when that ticking stopped I pretty much instantly burned my fingers again on the other down pipe.

So as requested earlier any advice on the ignition switch/lock would be much appreciated, attached is a link of the ones on EvilBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Switch-Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-5DMC-2001-/361676497758?hash=item543599635e:g:dTEAAOSwnQhXpDvY   

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
Cheers Tommy, the previous owner has very kindly to provide a new battery so I think he knows he has stiffed me over this one, hence me getting straight onto the phone with him :)

Great that's what we all like a positive result  :thumbup

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2017, 09:30:09 pm »
Well I've learnt 3 things this evening, 1. It is the battery that's fucked, 2. I need to by the uprated sprocket but as the old one is on (luckily its tight with no play) and 3. I need to find my winter gloves, feck me its coldcout, only did about 2 miles and can't feel my fingers, face, legs, balls. Best get winter clothes shopping. Any recommendations for decent winter gear?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2017, 09:49:11 pm »
Well I've learnt 3 things this evening, 1. It is the battery that's fucked, 2. I need to by the uprated sprocket but as the old one is on (luckily its tight with no play) and 3. I need to find my winter gloves, feck me its coldcout, only did about 2 miles and can't feel my fingers, face, legs, balls. Best get winter clothes shopping. Any recommendations for decent winter gear?

Yep put on a nice 2 door sports car until the end of Arpil, then get on the Fazer.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12 January 2017, 09:49:53 pm »
Another quick question, after taking the front sprocket casing off I could see there was a gasket around this casing and it was knackered, dies anyone know the name or part number of this so I can purchase another. Cheers

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2017, 09:54:03 pm »
The Alpinestar Andes Drystar is worth a look. Around £270 for the suit and was RIDE recommended in 2015. It's not Rukka, but then it's not around £1k.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2017, 10:33:10 am »
Another quick question, after taking the front sprocket casing off I could see there was a gasket around this casing and it was knackered, dies anyone know the name or part number of this so I can purchase another. Cheers

Hi Darren my FZS 600 has never since I owned it had a gasket in the joint its is not an enclosure of any sort and of course it is open ended both bottom and back for chain access/exit why would you need a paper gasket here?

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2017, 05:23:50 pm »
I'm only asking because there was already a gasket in place so weren't sure if if needed one or not, maybe just so it seats tightly and stops vibrations of the Allen key bolts coming loose??? I know the gasket serves no purpose in terms of stopping stuff getting in/out with it being open ended. I have some liquid gasket seal, might just clean it all up take the old knackered gasket out and pop some of that on :)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2017, 05:26:33 pm »
Robbo picked up a fleabay bargain, for the full alpinestars Andes suit for £92 (second hand of course but like new) just need some decent gloves now, the Richa cold protect gtx get some good reviews and are reasonable price so might have to invest in them

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 January 2017, 08:42:18 pm »
You've had a touch there Darren , well done. If you're new bike is going to be a regular commuter, I'd go for heated grips and bar muffs. I know the muffs score zero on street cred, but having been at this motorbike lark for a real long time, they do work and save having to use thicker winter gloves. You can fit or remove them in 10 minutes. For heated grips Dr. Bike for cheap reliable and cheerful, or Oxford if more sophisticated are needed. Some muffs and the Dr.Bikes would be cheaper than a decent pair of winter gloves. Well done again on the suit. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.