Date: 16-04-24  Time: 07:31 am

Author Topic: howdy  (Read 16580 times)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
howdy
« on: 10 January 2017, 04:02:21 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Darren and I've just picked up a nice 03 Fazer today ready for my daily commute. After some deliberation on what to buy I settled with the Fazer for its bullet proof engine and reliability. I look forward to receiving the bike on Thursday and taking it for a spin at the weekend.

Apart from the front sprocket but (which I have get to check) is there anything I need to worry about?

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
Re: howdy
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2017, 04:03:38 pm »
And here she is

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2017, 04:16:22 pm »
Looks a goodun. Foxeyes are the best. Not much else to look out for - downpipes collector box rotting (if the black originals) - rear brake caliper seizing - knackered rear suspension (if original) -  being overtaken by red ones 😉

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2017, 04:23:50 pm »
hi and welcome
It looks like the rear shock has been changed and if the sprocket done by a yam dealer there should be a punch mark on the headstock near to the frame number.
Regular balance of carbs is quite useful
And as will find out blue is the fastest colour for the 600 and silver storm for the 1000
Good choice and happy riding

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2017, 04:56:30 pm »

Hi Darren and welcome,
Hope you enjoy your new ride, which looks real pretty. With the current weather it might not look that good for long. I see plenty of cleaning happening in the near future.
Ride safe :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
Thanks all, I've been advised both the rear shock and front springs haven been upgraded to yss ones. I'm quite happy with the purchase if I do say so myself, I will take a peek at the headstock for a stamp. Failing that I will just pop the sprocket casing off and take a peek. Better safe than sorry as I have read a few horror stories on here about the sprocket coming off and causing some expensive damage.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
very nice Darren and welcome,  lots of decent people on here mate.  is that your probust cart I see through the window. ?
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2017, 07:12:34 pm »
Not sure what a probust cart is ;) the pic was taken at the place I'm buying it from which was a power tools hire shop, it was the owners bike I were buying.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2017, 07:41:48 pm »
Thanks all, I've been advised both the rear shock and front springs haven been upgraded to yss ones. I'm quite happy with the purchase if I do say so myself, I will take a peek at the headstock for a stamp. Failing that I will just pop the sprocket casing off and take a peek. Better safe than sorry as I have read a few horror stories on here about the sprocket coming off and causing some expensive damage.

I noticed the YSS sticker on the swinging arm, and as far as I know they are only available when purchasing a YSS product, it would be interesting to know what has been done to the front forks upgrade wise. YSS are manufacturing the cartridge fork emulators now and are available at a very reasonable price from a number of outlets Wemoto.com being one of them.
a quick glance at the rear shock will tell you if its a Yamaha pogo stick or something a little bit special. I have placed a pic of the Yamaha one in here for comparison with yours.
I hope you find it is an upgraded shock cos that will save you a big spend out.
I know Hagon do one for the FZS600 as do YSS and Nitron, I sure if you look you will see a name on it.
plus pic of emus and one of sprocket nut

« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 07:44:10 pm by tommyardin »

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2017, 07:46:38 pm »
Its not the pogo stick up back, its a yss shock, it has a black spring and looks a lot meatier the the stock pictured one. As for the front shocks not sure how I can identity what as been done. Once I get the bike on Thursday I will take more pics and stick them on this post.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2017, 07:47:59 pm »
Oh! By the way Darren welcome to the group.
But is that a big black boil on the back of the seat?     :eek  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2017, 07:58:45 pm »
Its not the pogo stick up back, its a yss shock, it has a black spring and looks a lot meatier the the stock pictured one. As for the front shocks not sure how I can identity what as been done. Once I get the bike on Thursday I will take more pics and stick them on this post.

Well the YSS shock has likely saved you 300 quid or more and the fact that the springs in the yoyos have been replaced. she should ride nice.
Do you know the previous owner might have hi name in the log book might be worth trying to get in touch with him to find out about front end and any other stuff he can tell you, IE: when were the tappets done and other relevant stuff.

As was pointed out earlier Yamaha Dealers put a centre punch mark on the frame label by the head-stock to indicate that the front sprocket nut has been upgraded but if centre punch is not there it does not mean its not been done, I have not punched mine but thinking about it I will at the week end.

Your bike looks tidy and I am sure you will be really pleased with the performance, they go like a cat on steroids.

Good luck.
tommy  :thumbup

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
Cheers Tommy, I'm hoping it should all be sound, its only covered 13k miles which is backed up by MOT history and a vehicle check I ran on it. If sprocket but hasn't been done then I will do it myself ad it looks a piece of piss job ;) just struggling to find the 12mm but easily anywhere other than eBay where they all tend to be in the bloody states and have a ridiculous shipping charge

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2017, 09:10:22 pm »
You can get them on eBay from this country about £6-50 with a new washer.
I will see if I can find the link and post it in here or if someone else has it they could post it.

« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 09:11:33 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2017, 09:17:43 pm »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2017, 09:20:06 pm »
Damn none available will try again :'(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-YAMAHA-YZF600R-THUNDERCAT-FRONT-SPROCKET-NUT-AND-WASHER-KIT-/131182167337?hash=item1e8b110529:g:r8UAAOSwRLZT4V5i

This one say for the Thundercat but it is the same nut and washer, I have it on good authority.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 09:22:55 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Yeah just checked out the part numbers and they are the same

90215-21290  Washer
&
90179-18006  Nut

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2017, 07:22:12 am »
Why not order the 12mm nut & washer from Yamaha-I paid £2-44 for the pair.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2017, 08:01:10 am »
The voice of reason. I always, wrongly as it seems, think that anything bought directly from Yamaha is going to cost ten times as much from elsewhere. I guess as it is/was a Yamaha factory agency free repair the parts are still going to be subsidised, hence the reasonable price.
Thanks for posting :thumbup :thumbup

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2017, 08:51:54 am »
The voice of reason. I always, wrongly as it seems, think that anything bought directly from Yamaha is going to cost ten times as much from elsewhere. I guess as it is/was a Yamaha factory agency free repair the parts are still going to be subsidised, hence the reasonable price.
There arent many things cheaper from Yamaha than ebay alternatives-in fact if anyone knows of anything else I would like to know(being an old scrooge pensioner type! :lol )

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2017, 11:53:38 am »
OK so not a great start to receiving the bike. Despite the bloke telling me it had a new battery its failed to start, I can only assets he'd had it on charge when I went to view it. Now its sat in my garage and the battery is as flat as a fart( I viewed and started it on Tuesday) so one can safely assume the battery is knackered. Any recommendations on a new battery as I need this bike to start on the click of a button and I don't want to be pissing round when it comes round to commuting in a few weeks.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2017, 01:56:51 pm »
There arent many things cheaper from Yamaha than ebay alternatives-in fact if anyone knows of anything else I would like to know(being an old scrooge pensioner type! :lol )

With saying that though Dave the upgrade sprocket/washer set I bought was sold through eBay but was in fact a genuine Yamaha part/parts.

Not 100% sure if this was the Tab Washer package or the 12mm Nut package
« Last Edit: 12 January 2017, 01:59:06 pm by tommyardin »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2017, 02:33:21 pm »
Any recommendations on a new battery

You'll get more opinions than tonight's snowflakes http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21338.msg244959.html#msg244959, but Motobatt or Yuasa seem to be the favourites.

Shame about the dud. Sounds like he's had the bike stored for some time. You might want to check over a few other things before you rely on it daily.

Personally my Varta has lasted me 5 years without problem, although I do put it on charge regularly. Make sure you get the right model. Thundercat and FZS1000 batteries are not suitable. The Yuasa is YT12B-BS

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2017, 02:35:29 pm »
I phoned the previous owner straight back and he has very kindly offered to buy a replacement battery, can't say fairer than that. I just hope there are no more gremlins hiding in the bike, at 13212 miles I would hope not and it has just had a MOT today with no advisories.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2017, 02:50:28 pm »
Not sure about the Ignition switch on the 1K Fazers but on the FZS600 2002-2003 there is a ignition position that will allow you to remove the ignition key and leave the side lights on, it might be worth trying to charge the existing battery over night to see if this has whats happened and flattened the battery, could save you a few quid if that is what happened.