Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:17 am

Author Topic: Exup plate  (Read 2005 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Exup plate
« on: 08 January 2017, 01:06:24 pm »
Hi,

I have had the Exup valve dismantled for servicing, turned out to be a pig of a job as bolts were seized. I have managed to get them out with help of a friend. I am now looking at building back up, but the plate seems like a really tight fit, like i would need to tap back on?

How loose should the valve plate be?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Exup plate
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2017, 04:32:29 pm »
Not loose but equally, it shouldn't require tapping into place.  Snug fit is fine, should bolt up flush without need for additional assistance. ;)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2017, 04:50:05 pm »
Not loose but equally, it shouldn't require tapping into place.  Snug fit is fine, should bolt up flush without need for additional assistance. ;)

Don'y know anything about Exup valves, but, the plate looks like it is not going on square, or maybe it is just the angle of the picture.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2017, 05:00:40 pm »
Hi,

Thanks guys, i will clean it up a bit more and see of i can get it to fit better. It probably was not squared quite right there but its defo not fitting quite right so will keep trying  :)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2017, 02:04:15 pm »
Ok

The plate is now going on  :D  but on looking at my parts for rebuilding a washer is missing http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/images/exupmaintenance04.jpg, now i am pretty sure it was never there as i was very careful when dismantling. I have also found what looking like heavy scoring to the valve and end plate, could this be due to a missing washer or over tightening?
Does anyone have a washer for dimensions or will i got to Mr Yamaha for £2, I might order the coolant drain screw too.
Almost at the stage if getting it all back together and an end is in sight. Although decided i am going to change the cables.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2017, 05:03:42 pm »
I had to file my plate to get rid of that shoulder where the valve has been rotating as the valve wouldn't move freely when i re assembled it (should rotate easy) the groove in the valve is same as mine when I took it apart   

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2017, 07:26:08 pm »
Looks like the valve has had too much free tolerance and jumped the dog that confines it to its useable degree arc. Possibly because of the missing washer. I'm probably wrong, though, I usually am

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2017, 10:19:12 am »
The washer goes on the outside of the plate.  The end float spring then goes on next, followed by the pulley.  If the washer was never fitted, the spring wouldn't have been able to control end float, which could explain why the valve and the inner face of the plate have worn like that.

Clean up everything as best you can and assemble with a suitable washer in the correct place.  Check how much end float you have and then you can decide whether or not you need to put a shim on the inside of the plate.