Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:20 am

Author Topic: Any Gen1 owners short in the leg?  (Read 4438 times)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Any Gen1 owners short in the leg?
« on: 02 January 2017, 11:18:49 am »
Greetings and Happy new year to you all.

Bit of an odd one this........

My brother, 5'07" 29" inside leg, who is a little shorter than me at 5'09" 30" inside leg, is looking for a different bike to go abroad on for a few days this year, with his wife and luggage. I've offered him the loan of my Gen1 but we're both a little concerned about the height of the bike for him.

I'm able to just about get both feet flat on the floor astride the bike. I'm concerned though that he may struggle. Unfortunately he's down in Plymouth and I'm in Reading, so it's a long way to go for him to just try it for size, particularly with the current conditions.

I know that he can try and find a Gen1 bike at a local dealers to try it for size, but was just wondering if there is anyone on here, with a similar inside leg measurement, that manages to cope with a standard ride / seat height on a Gen1?

I've read a few threads about lowering links on here and elsewhere, but have my reservations. Whilst the links wouldn't be that expensive, there seems to be opposing views on whether dropping the front forks through the yolks actually improves things or makes matters worse.

Any advice appreciated.

Equally, if there happens to be any standard height Gen1 owners located in Plympton or Plymouth that wouldn't mind my brother popping over at some point, to swing a leg over your bike and try it for size, that would be appreciate.

Many thanks

Skid

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Any Gen1 owners short in the leg?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2017, 12:27:20 pm »
Hi, I'm about the same height as your brother and with a 29 inside leg.
On my gen 1 thou I'm on the balls of my feet solo which is ok, not taken my mrs on the back yet but would expect the bike to squat lower with her on it plus luggage, I tried the z1000sx and that was balls of feet but better with the mrs on it.
Still bought a gen1 though. More character.

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2017, 12:29:26 pm »
short legs here as well
ive dropped the yokes slightly and different dog bones to drop the back a bit. it goes down more with pillion

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
Thanks very much Kenbob and Ram for your responses. I'll feed them back to the brother.

I could go the route of fitting some lower dog ones I guess and dropping the forks for him, though clearly, I'd rather not if at all possible.

I'll wait for the weather to clear up a bit and take a trip down to him as and when time permits.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2017, 01:33:20 pm »
i am 5.5 bought fazer 1000 last year I have to do loads of work on it get it thought mot which I done last week and it was my first time on it and it was bit to tall as my old fazer 600 was 790mm and this is 805mm so I bought set of dog bones on ebay 18.00 pound which drop it 25mm down know I can touch the floor lot easier then before . so do I need to drop forks down 25mm ?

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
Hi Topgun,

Thanks for your response. As for the dropping the forks 25mm, that's the million dollar question! Have a search through previous threads on here. You will no doubt find as I did, that there's several different schools of thought.
I personally think, that for the geometry of the bike, it can only make it a little better, if you've already lowered the rear by 25mm.
That said, it will create other issues. Not least of these will be getting the bike onto its centre stand, ground clearance and how upright the bike will be on the side stand, unless you modify it.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

Personally I would be cautious about fitting a lowering kit, purely because having experienced the benefits of jack-up kits (25mm & 50mm) in terms of more responsive handling and firmer feeling rear suspension I can only imagine that the lowering kit would have the opposite affect of slower steering and softer feeling suspension.

Regarding dropping the yokes down the fork legs (pedantic I know but you don't actually drop the forks) having experimented with this quite substantially I can say that this does help quicken the steering but 25mm is probably a little too much, I would suggest starting off at ~12mm. I would definitely recommend all Gen1 owners try this especially if you've fitted a lowering kit as it should help recover some of the responsiveness of the handling. The only exception would be if you have a 50mm jack-up kit as the additional weight on the front with the yokes dropped seems to adversely affect the steering through bends.

For those short of leg I would recommend dropping the yokes and maybe having a look at getting the seat re-profiled and only fitting a lowering kit if absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 02:22:48 pm by PieEater »

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2017, 02:23:21 pm »

Personally I would be cautious about fitting a lowering kit, purely because having experienced the benefits of jack-up kits (25mm & 50mm) in terms of more responsive handling and firmer feeling rear suspension I can only imagine that the lowering kit would have the opposite affect of slower steering and softer feeling suspension.

Regarding dropping the yokes down the fork legs (pedantic I know but you don't actually drop the forks) having experimented with this quite substantially I can say that this does help quicken the steering but 25mm is probably a little too much, I would suggest starting off at ~12mm. I would definitely recommend all Gen1 owners try this especially if you've fitted a lowering kit as it should help recover some of the responsiveness of the handling. The only exception would be if you have a 50mm jack-up kit as the additional weight on the front with the yokes dropped seems to adversely affect the steering through bends.
thanks PieEater ;)

For those short of leg I would recommend dropping the yokes and maybe having a look at getting the seat re-profiled.
thanks for that  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 02:28:21 pm by topgun44 »

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

Hi Topgun,

Thanks for your response. As for the dropping the forks 25mm, that's the million dollar question! Have a search through previous threads on here. You will no doubt find as I did, that there's several different schools of thought.
I personally think, that for the geometry of the bike, it can only make it a little better, if you've already lowered the rear by 25mm.
That said, it will create other issues. Not least of these will be getting the bike onto its centre stand, ground clearance and how upright the bike will be on the side stand, unless you modify it.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
thanks for your that SkidT
well it go on centre stand ok and side stand it still lean right away  :rollin
I will see how it goes when the sun and warm days come back  :'(

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2017, 02:49:36 pm »
I'm a shortarse, Have dropped mine through the yokes by 26mm, no adverse effects, never bottomed out under hard braking. Tried the longer dogbones and lowered the rear but hated the way it felt and reduced ground clearance.
10 mins job dropping the yoke and can be put back just as easily.....And it cost nothing
As long as your brother doesn't weigh 18 stone + I can't see there being an issue.....But saying that, Midden has rode my bike without incident, so that has got to be the ultimate test.  :lol

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
Thanks Dazza.
Can I just check that I have understood you correctly?
You tried but didn't like the lowering kit, so have now gone back to standard dog bones and shock? But HAVE dropped the forks through the yokes 25mm with no real issues?
Am I being stupid by thinking the following:
If I do drop the forks through for him, by the time that it's laden down with luggage and pillion, the extra rear sag "should" compensate somewhat for the front forks? Not very scientific I know.
He weighs in about twelve and a half stone and his wife is quite a bit lighter.
Whilst I haven't ridden with him for yrs, I don't think he's a speed demon?
Clearly that may change when he cocks a leg over my Full Monty'd Gen1. 😄
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 05:09:27 pm by SkidT »

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2017, 04:22:21 pm »
Yes , you understood me correctly, have gone back to standard dogbones although I don't run a standard rear shock. I have an Ohlins with remote preload adjuster which makes adjusting for varying weights a lot easier.
Some on here will advise against lowering the front via the yokes too much but interestingly I've never seen any evidence that any of them have actually done it and had a negative effect. I on the other hand have lowered mine at one time by 30mm with no problems and have now settled for 26mm.
As for your unscientific theory about the extra rear sag compensating, I have no idea, obviously too scientific for me  :lol ...I just tweak and ride them till they feel right for me.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 04:38:12 pm by dazza »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2017, 05:06:06 pm »

Some on here will advise against lowering the front via the yokes too much but interestingly I've never seen any evidence that any of them have actually done it and had a negative effect. I on the other hand have lowered mine at one time by 30mm with no problems and have now settled for 26mm.
Yup your mileage will definitely vary as to how much to drop the yoke down the forks as there are a lot of variables and personal preference to take into consideration, but I've not heard of anyone saying it's not worthwhile doing. It's a really simple job to do meaning it's not difficult to play around and find what works best for you. My top tip is to have the weight of the front of the bike supported on a car jack and use that to lower / raise the bike along the fork legs. Also with more weight on the front the forks will have less travel so keep a cable tie on one so you can make sure it's not bottoming out, and you might want to increase your preload to compensate.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 05:08:40 pm by PieEater »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2017, 05:14:05 pm »
Thanks again Dazza and Pie eater for your valuable input.
I also run an Ohlins with remote pre load, along with Ohlins from springs. I'll have a run down to him at some point and once he's tried it as standard, I can then have a twiddle to suit and hopefully make it fit him better.
Cheers guys.  :thumbup

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2017, 06:09:16 pm »
Im a shortarse as well. 5'7" and just under 29" inside leg. Im a bit heavier though and so the bike sits lower with me on. I manage fine on the thou, and have done the R6 shock with Lukes dog bones which is fine too. I tend to lean it slightly to the left and get one solid foot down though :)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2017, 10:07:13 pm »
I'm 5'10" with a 29" inside leg and I was a bit cautious before I bought mine as I had the 600 and thought it would be a lot higher /wider but in all honesty it's not.
Additionally I was worried about pulling on to the centre stand but it's no harder than the 600

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2017, 10:07:33 am »
You could point him towards a vfr750 or early carbed vfr800 Al. The only fault I could find with mine was that it sat a little low for me ( I'm 6 2) even with an uprated shock, and mine was feeling it's age. You can get really nice ones, a lot of them with luggage, cheap as chips now. They are comfy, plenty fast enough, and 180 to a tank, superb bike really.one of the things I always loved about the fazer thou is the generous leg room and not having to bend my cranky knees too much ( my busas used to kill me)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
Thanks for your responses guys.
I hear you Ogri about a VFR. Too much risk involved buying one of them though, I might want it myself!  :lol

I'm trying to avoid him having the potential expense of changing his bike really. I'm hoping that he'll see the Fazer, feel comfortable with the seat / ride height and borrow it. God knows it could do with a decent run out.
I'm hoping to take it over to the IOM for a long weekend myself this year.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2017, 05:42:26 pm »
There is a custom seat company in Sussex that do a ride In ride out seat lowering service, they can also do a memory foam insert which is supposed to be better than a gel insert.
Thinking of popping there to check them out.
An inch could make all the difference.
Ooh er missus.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2017, 05:43:29 pm by Kenbob »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2017, 05:56:55 pm »
Thanks Kenbob. Unfortunately I sold the spare seat that I had a while back on here. Otherwise I might have considered getting the standard one "lowered" for him. As I've only the one seat now, I don't want to change it because it fits me very well, being a bit taller than him.
Thanks anyway.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2017, 08:01:17 pm »
Thanks for your responses guys.
I hear you Ogri about a VFR. Too much risk involved buying one of them though, I might want it myself!  :lol

I'm trying to avoid him having the potential expense of changing his bike really. I'm hoping that he'll see the Fazer, feel comfortable with the seat / ride height and borrow it. God knows it could do with a decent run out.
I'm hoping to take it over to the IOM for a long weekend myself this year.
lol no chance you will want to swap mate. viffers are great bikes, but they aint no fazerthou..

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2017, 10:49:36 pm »
There is a custom seat company in Sussex that do a ride In ride out seat lowering service, they can also do a memory foam insert which is supposed to be better than a gel insert.
Thinking of popping there to check them out.
An inch could make all the difference.
Ooh er missus.
You tease , telling us of this interesting service and not saying the company name , I'm doing some touring next year and was going to do some research on comfy seats so if you have the details.
Although the mrs says an in and out 1 inch service sounds like me on a Friday night  :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2017, 04:53:58 pm »
Hi graham53,
The company is Sussex motorcycles, website is sussexmotorcycles.com.
Just for ther record this is not a blatant plug as I have nothing to do with them.
Will pop down to see em soon.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2017, 04:56:14 pm »
Top Man , thanks Kenbob.