Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:24 pm

Author Topic: Spot lights  (Read 26172 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Spot lights
« Reply #100 on: 16 August 2017, 02:26:15 pm »
Took the board out of the spotlight and it is the LED that's blown.  :'(

Also not only is it extremely difficult to remove because of the way it's obviously been manufactured by machine, we couldn't source any replacement LED's that were guaranteed to be the same sort of light, so I've just ordered another pair of spotlights and i'll get the board swapped over when it arrives, plus have a spare one in case it happens again.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 20 November 2017, 08:30:22 pm »
Had a look at the spotlight unit at lunch time, there is power going to it so it's not the wiring.
One of my electronic engineers is gonna take the board out by unsoldering it tomorrow and give it a once over. I'm hoping it's just a dry joint or something simple.
If it's fooked i'll have to buy another set and replace it, plus then have a spare.
I've found them to be invaluable out on the road, night or day, so really want it sorted asap.

Yesterday the spotlight on the other side stopped working as well, so a pair lasted around 10 months.
Not impressed by that at all, but will still replace it as without them now i feel like i have no lights at all.
The headlights are just shit.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2017, 09:26:23 pm by darrsi »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 22 November 2017, 07:53:37 pm »
Could be a bad batch - both sets of mine still going strong over a year later. Even if they did only last a year each time, I'd happily pay £15 a year for the benefits. £200 -£300 variable output LED spots might last you longer................
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 22 November 2017, 08:50:29 pm »
Could be a bad batch - both sets of mine still going strong over a year later. Even if they did only last a year each time, I'd happily pay £15 a year for the benefits. £200 -£300 variable output LED spots might last you longer................

That's the thing, when i rode home the other night without them i realized how useful they really are.
And i said the same the other day that i wouldn't mind paying £20 a year either.
On this latest light i put bullet connectors on it rather than soldering it so i can do a quick and easy swap next time if necessary.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 22 November 2017, 09:30:29 pm »

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/darla-1
 I had these on my BMW and had them removed before I sold it. I'm going to fit them onto the Fazer when I work out how to fix them to the engine bars. They're incredible and were still working perfectly after 3 years but they're not very cheap.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 22 November 2017, 11:03:25 pm »

I had these on my BMW and had them removed before I sold it. I'm going to fit them onto the Fazer when I work out how to fix them to the engine bars. They're incredible and were still working perfectly after 3 years but they're not very cheap.

Feck me.........that's 20 - or so pairs (or 20 yrs) compared to the ones we use.......but like I always say, you pays yer money etc,
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 11:04:32 pm by Frosties »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 23 November 2017, 01:10:26 pm »

Feck me.........that's 20 - or so pairs (or 20 yrs) compared to the ones we use.......but like I always say, you pays yer money etc,

Yeah, for the price of two pairs of them i’d just buy another bike with spotlights already fitted.  :lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 24 November 2017, 12:35:14 am »
you can get 3 of these for a pound, I jusrt need to work out how to fix them to the bike ?!?

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #108 on: 12 August 2018, 02:54:42 pm »
Sorry to bring back up this thread, but how have you found the longevity of these lights?

I had some fitted for just over a year now, same as tommyardin and slappy, much lower down mounted on top of the standard Yammy low engine crash bars. In that time, I've had no end of hassle with the bolt that goes through the supplied mounts and threads on the the alu body of the lights giving up leaving me with spinning lights that just fling to side to light up hedge row... Tried lock tight and all sorts, but ultimately the threads on the light bodies are shite. Swapped with longer bolts now with a nut on inside - bit of faff to tighten up, but held much better.

I've also had hassle with water ingress into the lenses, with moisture on the inside taking ages to dry out. Have to pop them open to clean and dry them out.

Mine also came with a handle bar mounted switch, and loom with relay. The switch has recently given up ghost, only turning them on if the rocker is in some half way state, where it never stays whilst riding.

They also have some weird flashing mode that you can activate by flicking them on and off quickly. But this always seems to get activated when you don't want it. Especially when the above switch was playing up and power was being cut intermittently.

I have to agree to think they do help with filtering, especially through winter and dusk/dark conditions. Definitely get the impression of more people noticing me, though these things are always hard to confirm, it could just be my perception. Now I'm in two minds as to bin them, try bypassing switch and hooking relay to side lights instead, or splashing out on new, better ones.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2018, 02:58:00 pm by Arfa »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 12 August 2018, 07:03:28 pm »
My lights and switch are still working perfectly, even after being removed from my old FZ1s and now refitted to my MT09.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 27 August 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
The ones I fitted to the Bandit (same as ones on Fazer - 2nd post) are still going strong. Ride all year round and bike used to London and back each day so nearly 2yrs at 3hrs a day.

The ones fitted to the CBF - 30w jobbies let water in and tarnished the lense. The CBF failed just like my 1st CBF so outed it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #111 on: 24 September 2018, 10:46:39 am »
The CBF failed just like my 1st CBF so outed it.

You broke L'Bob?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 24 September 2018, 10:55:39 am »
Didn't kill him Bob...he committed suicide.

The 1st CBF had the dreaded tps/ECU issue. Still have bike and need £1800 to fix.

L'Bob wouldn't charge the battery so checked it out and found the rectifier shot. Replaced it and then found alternator shot....wtf!! Replaced alternator and then the battery went. Replaced battery and the feckin rectifier went again.

Found after that on these CBF's and other Hondas that you need to replace alternator, rectifier and battery all at the same time if the rectifier or alternator go. If you only replace one part then the new good part screws the others.

After all that I was waiting for the dreaded tps issue to raise it's head on L'Bob. Couldn't feel that it was not going to let me down so had to sell it even though I loved it to bits.

SORRY BOB  :'(

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 24 September 2018, 11:00:07 am »
Sorry to bring back up this thread, but how have you found the longevity of these lights?

I had some fitted for just over a year now, same as tommyardin and slappy, much lower down mounted on top of the standard Yammy low engine crash bars. In that time, I've had no end of hassle with the bolt that goes through the supplied mounts and threads on the the alu body of the lights giving up leaving me with spinning lights that just fling to side to light up hedge row... Tried lock tight and all sorts, but ultimately the threads on the light bodies are shite. Swapped with longer bolts now with a nut on inside - bit of faff to tighten up, but held much better.

I've also had hassle with water ingress into the lenses, with moisture on the inside taking ages to dry out. Have to pop them open to clean and dry them out.

I have to agree to think they do help with filtering, especially through winter and dusk/dark conditions. Definitely get the impression of more people noticing me, though these things are always hard to confirm, it could just be my perception. Now I'm in two minds as to bin them, try bypassing switch and hooking relay to side lights instead, or splashing out on new, better ones.

I had the same ones as Tommy had fitted to my 1st CBF - whilst they were good they let in water and misted up.

The smaller ones as per earlier posts are still going fine on 2 bikes after nudging 2 yrs riding 100 miles a day in all weathers.

Might be worth a go with these 10w jobbies that mount straight onto the top rad side plate bolt using original bolt.

None of mine have moved an inch and don't let water in.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 11 November 2022, 04:30:21 pm »
Just gonna add to this, my spotlights kept blowing every so often but then I realised that because I have them mounted on both sides of the radiator the wires were getting hot and pegging out the lights.
I solved this by adding "heat resistant cable sleeve" over the wires, which looks a bit like heat shrink (before shrinking it) and and it has worked wonders.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221641380934?hash=item339adb1446:g:LE4AAOxyDEVSbsET&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8IRsA3yeG4C%2BuPEABQkgwMz3voILY7sAdEt2Czhr2hIFCB4ijKmvJ5fiEHFqR0rPLcZ4qPK8lKwXNwMOIlDPMR%2BohCDn0bYVU7c%2BCj6mhqreGxGGV7POD7wXRG6K2XtRpr541E5xhz%2FS8%2FXnNtRu4pELfj7EJady4OeI8uIfM4xxcuyekdfsJOlE7%2BBCVxcHSskS5bu8jSF8ca8pYcQnf%2FuCpuEYFDnQd9LKxtU3BVgRuef4qs35CNSoQKBGSZ9uo9cIU5FF%2BgsckJq4KFWiMak%2FciEHHAax3JaL9fD4pymJVto2m07AmWTivRhtpo%2BX6Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-6GyYSOYQ
« Last Edit: 13 November 2022, 09:20:39 am by darrsi »