Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:01 pm

Author Topic: Spot lights  (Read 26178 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Spot lights
« Reply #75 on: 02 January 2017, 04:09:25 pm »
Frosties......I got a Bandit, can you pm me with the ins and outs of how and where you fitted them......my pooter doesn't open some of the links ppl post on here...especially pics
cheers
Hiya fella, sorry for the delay........booze etc  :lol . Wired these the same as Slappy - Quote "I tapped into sidelight circuit , put an inline 3 amp fuse, not sure if it was necessary then a switch  to turn them on separately, But if I forget to switch them off they go off  when I switch ignition off anyway."

1st pic is mount the same as Fazer on the top side mount of rad side plate. 2nd pic headlight only. 3rd with spots and 4th with spots and hazards on so you can see how much the indicators are not affected.

]As said before, the pics really don'y do them any justice - especially as it wasn't dark at the time of taking pics.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 03 January 2017, 11:45:27 am »
cheers mate, looking good
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 03 January 2017, 06:59:11 pm »
First time out tonight in the dark with the new lights.
Makes a big difference, i've got them aiming right down, giving me about 35 feet of extra light on the floor but they're not in anyone's eyes at all in oncoming vehicles.
I went down a few dark side roads and switched them off then on again and the difference was very noticeable compared to just the headlights, even though i've got Phillips Xtreme bulbs in the headlights the new sidelights gave off a much whiter and brighter light on the floor. But even in daylight they are really bright as well.
Well worth doing, job's a good'un.  :thumbup

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 03 January 2017, 07:13:51 pm »
Finally got the last of my order, now I just need to find some time to get it all fitted and during daylight as I don't have power in my garage.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Pandy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 17 February 2017, 08:37:04 am »
Guys,

I didn't find any infos about the waterproofing of both options of lamps. Did anyone had problems?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 17 February 2017, 11:00:25 am »
Guys,

I didn't find any infos about the waterproofing of both options of lamps. Did anyone had problems?

They're waterproof already.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 17 February 2017, 12:40:32 pm »
Looking at the pictures I'm thinking do they make seeing the indicators difficult for drivers especially in daylight. I see some cars with DRL that turn off the side that is indicating so there must be an issue.
If its seeing better in the dark that is needed if you only ride in the city then there is no need, so maybe and on off switch that is connected to the high beam switch ? And I suppose that you will need to disconnect them for the MOT too.
If it is for beeing better seen by others then what about a couple mounted in that little gap under the MK fairing - seems made for it, not sure on the MK 2 but either way better under the fairing than next to the indicators.
What about in an insurance claim the driver says he did not see your indicators because of the spots next to them.
Discuss   

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 17 February 2017, 01:25:53 pm »
Looking at the pictures I'm thinking do they make seeing the indicators difficult for drivers especially in daylight. I see some cars with DRL that turn off the side that is indicating so there must be an issue.
If its seeing better in the dark that is needed if you only ride in the city then there is no need, so maybe and on off switch that is connected to the high beam switch ? And I suppose that you will need to disconnect them for the MOT too.
If it is for beeing better seen by others then what about a couple mounted in that little gap under the MK fairing - seems made for it, not sure on the MK 2 but either way better under the fairing than next to the indicators.
What about in an insurance claim the driver says he did not see your indicators because of the spots next to them.
Discuss   

Question's already been discussed on Page 1 of this thread.

I use the headlights and spotlights at night, the spots light up the road ahead for me probably 5 times more than the headlights ever did, plus they have a much nicer white light. And the headlight stays on, probably because it's the law, but gives me a wider and more general beam, albeit in a shitty colour in comparison..
In the daytime i now only use the spotlights, without need for the headlights, which also takes unnecessary strain off the battery.

There is no problem with the indicators, the spotlight beam aims down on the road, so isn't dazzling peoples eyes, and they don't really have a wide beam like the headlights do.
Even when you pull up behind a car in traffic you can really notice how bright they are by looking at other cars headlights beaming on the car in front of them.

I bought a separate waterproof on/off switch for a few reasons, like plod, MOT (won't be a problem) and starting the bike with all lights and accessories switched off.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 24 February 2017, 09:03:21 pm »
Fitted my spot lights a while ago but just not had the chance to get pics until now, so here they are.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 24 February 2017, 09:57:21 pm »
Looking good fella  :thumbup . You reckon people see you more now?

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 24 February 2017, 11:40:33 pm »

Too bloody right unless they are in a BMW, Audi or a new styled Land Rover because they just don't FOCCING look  :lol  people are really shocked at how bright they are when I tell them that they are only 10watt. The only problem I have with them is I'm still trying to work out how how to wire them into the ignition switch, I know it's probably easy but it takes a few attempts to just wire up a plug socket  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 25 February 2017, 07:39:36 am »

Too bloody right unless they are in a BMW, Audi or a new styled Land Rover because they just don't FOCCING look  :lol  people are really shocked at how bright they are when I tell them that they are only 10watt. The only problem I have with them is I'm still trying to work out how how to wire them into the ignition switch, I know it's probably easy but it takes a few attempts to just wire up a plug socket  :lol

You need a mate called Steve, i've had one for years, he's not colour blind, thinks outside the box, and is basically a thoroughly decent bloke to ever wish to have the pleasure to ever know him as a true friend. He probably classes me as a nuisance, but we can't all be perfect.  :thumbup

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 25 February 2017, 10:11:06 am »

You need a mate called Steve, i've had one for years, he's not colour blind, thinks outside the box, and is basically a thoroughly decent bloke to ever wish to have the pleasure to ever know him as a true friend. He probably classes me as a nuisance, but we can't all be perfect.  :thumbup

I've got a few friends that have the skills, knowledge & tools to do the job but none of them seem to be able to spare the time to help me out. I'm not panicking about getting it done as I have breakdown cover if the battery goes dead plus I have a bit of OCD when it comes to making sure everything is turned off when parking the bike up  :lol

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 12 March 2017, 09:36:43 pm »
 I went a bit mad with my money when I had my last bike and bought a pair of Clearwater darlas. Outrageously expensive but unbelievably bright and dimmable for daytime use. They can be varied between 10 to 50% brightness on dipped beam and go to full power on main. I know it's an old cliché but they turn night into day, Riding along the A75 from Cairnryan to Carlisle in the pitch dark and pouring rain they showed up the cat's eyes and road signs for miles ahead. They're only about 2'' in diameter so are quite inconspicuous on the bike and really well put together. I took them off before I sold the bike and plan to have them fitted to my Fazer at some point soon. Awesome lights.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 12 March 2017, 10:26:07 pm »
Vinny - for that 'kin price I'd want more than night into day....I'd want God riding in front with his arse facing forwards to light up the road.

They look great with the variable output etc but I can't think of anyone who'd pay that much - were doing it for £25 all in.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/darla-r1200gsaw

Buuut you pays your money........

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 12 March 2017, 10:47:13 pm »
  :lol  Oh well your only here once. They really are brilliant lights but maybe slightly on the pricey side. Not thinking of buying yourself a set then I take it?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13 March 2017, 08:14:31 am »
Discuss   

My understanding is that they must to be able to be switched off to do the headlight and dipped beam test for the mot. I have a spade type push on connector on mine under the right hand side fairing infill panel
that I unplugged for my mot last week. 1 minute job to re-plug after mot done.
My spots are wired through the side light circuit on my foxeye. So lights off all off, ignition off all off.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 13 March 2017, 09:43:08 am »
Discuss   

My understanding is that they must to be able to be switched off to do the headlight and dipped beam test for the mot. I have a spade type push on connector on mine under the right hand side fairing infill panel
My spots are wired through the side light circuit on my foxeye. So lights off all off, ignition off all off.

You can see the indicators very clearly with them on so any driver that states they couldn't see the indicator are telling porkies, the only way they wouldn't is if you have the beam too high like a lot of GS riders that I've seen and it that situation I would be slowing to stop as I would be being blinded and I'm not going to make a turn if I can't see.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 13 March 2017, 10:38:10 am »
Discuss   

That's why I put an extra switch on mine, even though they are wired to come on with the headlight because the separate on/off switch is there it passes mot. Doesn`t make the indicators harder to see either.

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21 May 2017, 08:41:10 am »
Hiya fella,

I've bought and fitted these to my boxeye and they make a hell of a diffence. Will get a pic up asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-ATV-Motorcycle-4WD-Boat-UK-SHIP-/331903321625?hash=item4d46fac619:g:BMsAAOSwbYZXf0sF

Used a fuse tap to link into a switched circuit on the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/151973106702?hash=item23624d940e:g:3HQAAOSw3ydV5lbw

I've bolted them straight to the top bolt of the radiator side plate. I know what you're thinking but a damaged rad is the least of my worries if the bike goes down hard.

Thank you very much... I'll get them

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21 May 2017, 09:26:59 pm »
Nice one Nick. We do however have to apply forum rules and demand pics of them when fitted lighting up somewhere dark  :thumbup . We like pics we do  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15 August 2017, 08:41:40 am »
Hiya fella,

I've bought and fitted these to my boxeye and they make a hell of a diffence. Will get a pic up asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-ATV-Motorcycle-4WD-Boat-UK-SHIP-/331903321625?hash=item4d46fac619:g:BMsAAOSwbYZXf0sF

Used a fuse tap to link into a switched circuit on the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/151973106702?hash=item23624d940e:g:3HQAAOSw3ydV5lbw

I've bolted them straight to the top bolt of the radiator side plate. I know what you're thinking but a damaged rad is the least of my worries if the bike goes down hard.

This morning before leaving to go to work I noticed that one of my spotlights (same as above link) has stopped working.  :'(

I've not had a chance to check it out yet, but does anyone know off the top of their head if they have changeable LED bulbs or do I need to buy another set to change the whole light unit?

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 15 August 2017, 08:56:05 am »
The ones I bought were a fixed bulb, not replaceable without soldering capabilities.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 15 August 2017, 09:06:43 am »
The ones I bought were a fixed bulb, not replaceable without soldering capabilities.

I have soldering equipment at work, plus electronics engineers to give me a hand if needed too so that's not an issue.
I'll have it apart in my lunch break and see what I can find. Bit annoying though, I expected them to last a lot longer than 6 or 7 months.  :(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 15 August 2017, 03:39:26 pm »
Had a look at the spotlight unit at lunch time, there is power going to it so it's not the wiring.
One of my electronic engineers is gonna take the board out by unsoldering it tomorrow and give it a once over. I'm hoping it's just a dry joint or something simple.
If it's fooked i'll have to buy another set and replace it, plus then have a spare.
I've found them to be invaluable out on the road, night or day, so really want it sorted asap.