Date: 23-04-24  Time: 21:14 pm

Author Topic: Spot lights  (Read 26410 times)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Spot lights
« Reply #25 on: 13 December 2016, 11:19:34 pm »
I've seen a bike with green spots on the front.  What a twat I say, they're like giving the green light to be hit
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2016, 01:26:38 pm »
I've seen a bike with green spots on the front.  What a twat I say, they're like giving the green light to be hit

Ba-dum dum.....tsssss

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2016, 11:07:40 am »
Hiya fella,

I've bought and fitted these to my boxeye and they make a hell of a diffence. Will get a pic up asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-ATV-Motorcycle-4WD-Boat-UK-SHIP-/331903321625?hash=item4d46fac619:g:BMsAAOSwbYZXf0sF

Used a fuse tap to link into a switched circuit on the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/151973106702?hash=item23624d940e:g:3HQAAOSw3ydV5lbw

I've bolted them straight to the top bolt of the radiator side plate. I know what you're thinking but a damaged rad is the least of my worries if the bike goes down hard.

That's the wrong link for the fuse tap isn't it?  :groan

I'm waiting for it to turn up but just noticed it says "mini blade".  :'(

That's put a proper spanner in the works as I need it for tomorrow morning, anyone know of a shop that sells them?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 December 2016, 11:58:45 am »
Hi Darrsi,
I made exactly the same mistake a few weeks back regarding the mini blade taplink.It's a pisser when you wait for the delivery, you're all set to get on with the project and the wrong foccing thing drops out of the envelope.I feel for ya bud.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 December 2016, 12:30:57 pm »
Hiya fella,

I've bought and fitted these to my boxeye and they make a hell of a diffence. Will get a pic up asap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-ATV-Motorcycle-4WD-Boat-UK-SHIP-/331903321625?hash=item4d46fac619:g:BMsAAOSwbYZXf0sF

Used a fuse tap to link into a switched circuit on the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pc-Add-A-Circuit-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Splice-Holder-ATM-APM-Piggy-Back-Fuses-Tap-12V-/151973106702?hash=item23624d940e:g:3HQAAOSw3ydV5lbw

I've bolted them straight to the top bolt of the radiator side plate. I know what you're thinking but a damaged rad is the least of my worries if the bike goes down hard.

That's put a proper spanner in the works as I need it for tomorrow morning, anyone know of a shop that sells them?

Glad I read your post first, as I was just about to load up evilbay and order everyting.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 December 2016, 04:22:23 pm »
Hi Darrsi,
I made exactly the same mistake a few weeks back regarding the mini blade taplink.It's a pisser when you wait for the delivery, you're all set to get on with the project and the wrong foccing thing drops out of the envelope.I feel for ya bud.

Paid £3.50 for two of those mini blade ones, now gonna have to go and pay £7.99 for one at Halfrauds.

I only need one as well, luckily.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/autoleads-blade-add-a-fuse

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 December 2016, 04:26:43 pm »
Hiya fella,

Glad I read your post first, as I was just about to load up evilbay and order everyting.

I've got the lights, cable and everything else I need, the fuse taps were posted to me on the 11th December, obviously from Outer Mongolia, still not got them, not that it matters now anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 December 2016, 10:32:37 pm »
FROSTIES.....I think you may need to change that link, maybe with a little note that it's been altered correctly.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 December 2016, 10:51:23 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap - really sorry fellas. Yup....I am a complete tw@  :wall :wall :groan

Correct link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170709632237?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If it's any concellation, it does look good and is very effective when done  :look

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 December 2016, 11:36:27 pm »
No worries fella, spotted it in time, so all is good.  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 December 2016, 05:01:44 am »
What size fuse are you meant to use for these 10w LED lights?

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 December 2016, 12:43:57 pm »
What size fuse are you meant to use for these 10w LED lights?

Just asked the same question to my electrician friend and he said a 2 or 3 amp should be fine.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 December 2016, 02:46:07 pm »
All fitted now, but for some unknown reason my indicator beeper now only works with the spotlights switched off?
Dunno what's going on there?
All i know is that it was bloody cold outside.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 December 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
All fitted now, but for some unknown reason my indicator beeper now only works with the spotlights switched off?
Dunno what's going on there?
All i know is that it was bloody cold outside.

Have you wired them in with the headlights so they work off the headlight switch or have you wired in a aux switch and run direct from the battery?

And yes it is a tad chilly out there  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 December 2016, 04:17:04 pm »
I bought a handlebar waterproof on/off switch, and the only place the fuse tap would fit was on my air horn wiring.
I don't wire anything direct to the battery, it's generally a bad idea in case you forget to switch off.
My mate did the wiring for me, i'm shit at electrics, but he never went near the beeper wiring.
It did all work correctly if the lights were wired directly to the battery though.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2017, 07:12:57 am by darrsi »

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 December 2016, 04:23:23 pm »
I just wondered as I'm crap with electronics too and I'm just looking for the simplest way to wire it all up. I think I'm going to just wire up directly to the battery and hope I don't ever forget to turn them off  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 December 2016, 05:52:45 pm »
I just wondered as I'm crap with electronics too and I'm just looking for the simplest way to wire it all up. I think I'm going to just wire up directly to the battery and hope I don't ever forget to turn them off  :lol

You gotta be realistic about these things, YOU WILL forget, for whatever reason, it's just one of those things.
How long for will then decide on whether you have any juice left in the battery to start the bike, probably in the middle of nowhere, when it's cold and raining.  :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 December 2016, 10:15:49 pm »
I bought a handlebar waterproof on/off switch, and the only place the fuze tap would fit was on my air horn wiring.
I don't wire anything direct to the battery, it's generally a bad idea in case you forget to switch off.
My mate did the wiring for me, i'm shit at electrics, but he never went near the beeper wiring.
It did all work correctly if the lights were wired directly to the battery though.

Where's the piccies then - rules are rules  :deal

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 December 2016, 10:20:02 pm »

Mate - with a fuse tap it's a piece of piss. Will happily post up a how to. If you can wire a plug you can do this and ignition off will mean ALL off  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 December 2016, 10:54:53 pm »

Mate - with a fuse tap it's a piece of piss. Will happily post up a how to. If you can wire a plug you can do this and ignition off will mean ALL off  :thumbup

Out of curiosity which fuse did you share with the tap, and where?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 20 December 2016, 11:10:25 pm »
The photos don't really do it justice.
Bear in mind these are spot lights, and they are aiming downwards, they don't really spread the light like the headlight (should).
So apart from daytime running lights, i wanted them for more light on the floor in front of me so i can have a better chance of seeing pot holes.
I was gonna get brighter but these are just the 10 watt ones in Frosties link and they have proved to be more than good enough, plus after looking about i noticed they had an easier chance of movement for direction, plus fitted nice and easy on the radiatior on the top side screw, whereas most others needed a bar to be clamped to.
Turns out the radiator bolts could be used again without the need to change them.
And by pure luck i got the distance set spot on, without the need to adjust them again when it turned dark. The light distance is good but you'll note it's nowhere near the top of the drivers seat to dazzle or blind anyone.
Think i have Philips Xtreme bulbs in my headlights, which are not cheap and highly recommended, yet the 2 spotlights still outperform them due to the crappy reflector housing in the headlight unit.
This is a great mod for older bikes with naff lighting.

First picture is with spotlights and (both) headlights.
Second is just with (both) headlights.
Concentrate more on the floor lighting, which as you can see is much "whiter and brighter",which is appropriate as my name is Daz.  :D
« Last Edit: 21 December 2016, 05:28:11 am by darrsi »

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 December 2016, 07:48:00 am »

Yes please  :thumbup However I have been known to even wire up a plug wrong so don't be suprised if you see a post with me stating "I got my mate to wire it up as I focked it up"  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 December 2016, 06:48:37 pm »
FROSTIES, i'm still curious as to which fuse you tapped into with the splitter gadget?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 December 2016, 07:47:09 pm »
Wire then directly into the side light circuit, when the side lights are on so are the LED spots, also the side lights stay on with the headlights, so LED light are still on with the headlights.
Switch the headlights off ,side lights and LED's still on, switch all light off LED's off.
Leave all the lights on and switch the ignition off and all the lights go off anyway.
It's impossible to leave them turned on wired this way. One less switch to go wrong, less clutter on the handle bars, less to wire up.

Easy peasy.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 December 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
Oh! and another added bonus, no fused tap needed.