Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:26 pm

Author Topic: gaming TV  (Read 4398 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
gaming TV
« on: 10 December 2016, 07:13:35 pm »
Evening foccers, I need your help ...red98 junior is a big gaming fan and with christmas just around the corner mrs red98 has decided a new TV would be an excellent christmas present....so off to currys we go.....first problem is size, will be going in juniors room which is approx  9 X 11 , iam thinking 26 / 27 mrs red is eying up the 32 in  :rolleyes  and possibly bigger..time to ask the assistant.....helpful guy who says its more about quality than size , hes on my side ive been telling mrs red that for years  :lol ...he shows us a 27in but more importantly its a FULL HD 1080P....which is good for gaming as its about the picture quality....mrs not to happy with 27in and looking at the 32 in they either say HD READY 1080P  or just 1080P  but not FULL 1080

junior currently has a 19in screen but misses out on detail as not 1080...bit confused about it all now and we came home empty handed not wanting to get the wrong one.....your thoughts please gentlemen    :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: gaming TV
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
At least 32 dont think you will see a difference in the hd ready or full, get him a 42 and he will stay away from girls for years
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 09:20:17 pm »
Depends what he's playing on it. If it's a ps4 for example then its output is upscaled so it will still look good even on a HD ready tv were as a ps3 would look crap. Personally I'd go for the full HD regardless of size just because it's a nicer picture

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
HD Ready is normally a 720p telly, but will accept a 1080p and process it to fit the screen.
The more pixels, the clearer the picture, even more so for gaming, so look towards getting at least 1080p or more.
A 4K tv for instance has 2160 vertical pixels so technically  has 4 times a full HD tv's amount of pixels. They can be picked up at a reasonably good price if you look about and you will also future proof it.
For gaming though, a good refresh rate is a definite bonus, you want a set that has at least 100Hz or more.
We're filming stuff at work using 8K cameras so it's a good idea to look ahead.
Right now though for tv purposes they're only broadcasting 720p max for mainstream tv, for now anyway.
BluRay discs are 1080p, although at home i have a 4K BluRay player, but films cost £30-£40, so i doubt i'll ever buy any, i just don't see the point.

As for future proofing again, may i suggest getting a smart tv as well, if your budget allows it, as in one that has built in wi-fi, and catch up tv all included, they really are worth getting and can open up a whole new world as far as tv and films are concerned especially if you have an Android phone or tablet, which you can use to beam content to in HD to the telly (for free).
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 08:09:07 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 10:16:41 pm »
No doubt overkill for what you're after but to give you an example, i bought a refurbed 40" 4K tv, refurbed as new by Panasonic with a full guarantee, for £400, normally worth about £750.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2016, 08:24:32 am »
If he's PS4 gaming then I'd certainly consider at least a 4K TV.  This being based on the newly available PS4 Pro which is uses HDR.  Now, don't get 4K confused with HDR as they are entirely different things but a good amount of 4K TV's will be compatible with HDR.  I've recently upgraded to a PS4 Pro and luckily the TV I bought is only a year old and HDR compatible and the difference in clarity is chalk and cheese.

Just a thought and also reiterant of the above mentioning of thinking ahead :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2016, 10:45:07 am »
WOW....cheers foccers, most helpful   :thumbup .......lots of info there so thanks for taking the time posting and sharing your knowledge  :)

little red plays PS4 , fav game at moment , rainbow 6 , iam not a gamer so means nothing to me  :lol .....going to john lewis shortly and will be looking at ......32in , full 1080p , smart TV .......little red is not really little , age 16 and  near on 6ft , recently started college on level 2 IT , and has also managed to get a student job in tesco's , evenings and weekends....he would choose the 4K in a heart beat on something like a 62in screen......but got to teach him "THE VALUE OF MONEY" and how to budget......bit old fashoned i know but the way i was bought up and has worked for me...iam a saver not a borrower...so going to try and pass that on.........i personaly think the 32in will be too big for his room and would choose a 26/27 but more choice with a 32 In and mrs red has already made up her mind , so to keep the peace and all that  ;) ..

a heads up for anyone else shopping for tellys...currys are doing 20% off all JVC TV's 32in or less at the moment  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2016, 11:04:43 am »
The bad thing about buying a tv is if you go looking for one around the shops you will be sent mad by the choice out there.
Plus you will always get a huge row of tv's with a shitty picture from a bad aerial put into it so you can never judge if it's any good or not anyway.
They'll always have the one in the dark corner though, with ambient lighting behind it, and an animated BluRay film on a loop, so it will look stunning, that's the one they want you to buy!
Best thing to do is decide your budget first, then see what's online, then use Google to read all the user reviews. You can't trust all of them, some people just like to whinge, but it will give you a very good idea of the pro's and con's to sway your decision.
As for sizing, go for as big as you can. I'm not a gamer myself, but i know a few and if you offered them a 26" tv they'd stick it in their toilet.  :lol
4K tv's do tend to come into their own from about 40" and above where tv stuff is concerned, but as games are animated it will just make for a crisper picture.
I used to have a 37" 720p plasma telly in my bedroom which has a beautiful look to it, but since i bought the 40" 4K telly it is quite apparent that the image is much sharper on the new one, as i've put the plasma in the living room now, so i still get to see the difference.

For the record, and this is just my personal opinion, i've always been a fan of Panasonic, i've always found them to have a great picture and be very reliable. Add to that we even use them at work so that speaks volumes as well.
And i know some people will disagree with me, but i'm really not a fan of LG. You might find yourself being swayed towards them because they are generally the best budget tv's about, but i've never been too impressed by the picture quality at all.
Bear in mind i'm a Video Assist technician in the film industry so i look at high end monitors every day, so i'm a lot fussier than most, but i just don't like them. 

32" tv's will be the ones where you get the best value i'd imagine, the prices have dropped markedly over the last couple of years to the point of being nearly the same price as a small tv you'd put in your kitchen.
Another note, you want one with built in HD Freeview channels as well. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 11:11:03 am by darrsi »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2016, 11:13:09 am »
About 5 years ago I brought a 55in smart tv for Sharp Halls entertaining parlour, cost over a grand at the time. It is 3d and at the time that was (being pushed as ) the way forward, even BBC were experimenting on broadcasting some shows and events in 3d, blurays also being released in 3d. I actually didn't buy the tv because it had 3d, I didnt even want 3d but at the time you couldn't buy a 55incher without it.
So I was in currys the other day killing some time whilst Mrs Sharp was buying some Christmas crap in M&S and mooched around the tvs, assistant came and I pretended to be looking at buying a tv 55 or more with 3d and he starts rubbing his chin / thinking, turns out that only a small select few now are including 3d. BBC have also given up on 3d.
So the point to my story is that I feel perhaps 4k could be the next 3d, which was pushed just as a selling point to - well, sell tvs.           

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2016, 01:07:59 pm »
About 5 years ago I brought a 55in smart tv for Sharp Halls entertaining parlour, cost over a grand at the time. It is 3d and at the time that was (being pushed as ) the way forward, even BBC were experimenting on broadcasting some shows and events in 3d, blurays also being released in 3d. I actually didn't buy the tv because it had 3d, I didnt even want 3d but at the time you couldn't buy a 55incher without it.
So I was in currys the other day killing some time whilst Mrs Sharp was buying some Christmas crap in M&S and mooched around the tvs, assistant came and I pretended to be looking at buying a tv 55 or more with 3d and he starts rubbing his chin / thinking, turns out that only a small select few now are including 3d. BBC have also given up on 3d.
So the point to my story is that I feel perhaps 4k could be the next 3d, which was pushed just as a selling point to - well, sell tvs.         

To be fair 4k is an evolution of HD so in theory it will just be replaced with the next sharper image (8k, or super 4k or some other bollocks) where as 3d was just a fad. It was clever but i never really found it comfortable on my eyes. Also most people I know with them just moan because they had to wear glasses all the time.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2016, 01:38:07 pm »

To be fair 4k is an evolution of HD so in theory it will just be replaced with the next sharper image (8k, or super 4k or some other bollocks) where as 3d was just a fad. It was clever but i never really found it comfortable on my eyes. Also most people I know with them just moan because they had to wear glasses all the time.

And there was all the "passive" non "passive" options, mine is a passive which uses polarising lenses, which have no issues, people were having uncomfortable eye problems from the non passive glasses which have to have a battery in them that operates each eye on and off flickering at a high rate to create the 3d, like looking at something close to your eyes and opening and closing each eye in turn and see the object move left and right.

I would also go for a panasonic, mine is an LG which had problems with the BBC i player that was largely blamed on lgs servers after a bbc player update, LG stopped issuing updates - no longer supported after 12 months and their responce was to tell you to buy the latest TV whereas panasonic kept their tvs updated and supported for years.

Also yes go for a HD freeview with smart tv, our TV was "smart" 5 years ago and includes an internet browser (painfully slow) and BBC iplayer/ utube, but other than some other net crap we dont use the only catchup is BBC iplayer so as per my post the other day I have now brought a now tv box so I can get all the other catch ups.
So when buying a smart tv make sure all the catchups are there.         

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2016, 01:45:32 pm »

3D was a gimmick, and there are several reasons why it never took off (again).

But 4K is just a measurement of pixels (horizontally) on your screen, there is absolutely nothing gimmicky about it whatsoever, in fact the more pixels the merrier, for even sharper pictures. It's exactly the same principal as photography, more pixels means sharper quality and more detailed photos, with the added feature that you can zoom out more with less chance of it becoming very blurred.
Hence the reason images on 4K tv's become more noticeable when over 40" in size, in comparison to a 1080 or less.

Bit confusing the way they've advertised the sizing because 1080 and 720 are vertical pixels, whereas 4K (or thereabouts) is actually measured horizontally.
A 4K tv should really be called a 2160, but that doesn't really have that sales oomph to it.  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2016, 01:54:10 pm »
 :wall ...........good old john lewis...had a choice of 2 , both not in stock but "we can order it for you sir ".....yeh, think I can do that online myself and save  few quids   ..... :wall ..., back to currys and I ask about the refresh rate....complete blank looks and a long embarrising silence    :lol ...probs a bit too techy for the shop boys , we had a little laugh at thier expense  :lol
we came home empty handed again  but we sort of know which one we want.....split between JVC or samsung simular spec price etc........mrs red getting a bit fed up now so will dive In and choose one pay cash and bring it home.... :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2016, 02:00:24 pm »
:wall ...........good old john lewis...had a choice of 2 , both not in stock but "we can order it for you sir ".....yeh, think I can do that online myself and save  few quids   ..... :wall ..., back to currys and I ask about the refresh rate....complete blank looks and a long embarrising silence    :lol ...probs a bit too techy for the shop boys , we had a little laugh at thier expense  :lol
we came home empty handed again  but we sort of know which one we want.....split between JVC or samsung simular spec price etc........mrs red getting a bit fed up now so will dive In and choose one pay cash and bring it home.... :)

Without even knowing what they are, i'd side with the Samsung.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2016, 02:43:19 pm »
i wouldn't go for the jvc either.
john lewis i think they have very good customer services and in most cases give extra years guarantee for the same price

Hence the reason images on 4K tv's become more noticeable when over 40" in size, in comparison to a 1080 or less.

We went from a 32inch to 55 and straight away noticed that dvds look crap compared to bluray, also some normal freewview tv channels looked crap at this size, channel 5 and the like, bbc was not so bad but you you could see a difference at 55inch, as more and more free view HD channels are now appearing things are much better.

So if I brought a 4k tv and watched normal non hd free view would that look better or worse than a 1080p tv, im guessing just the same.
Would bluerays look any different on a 4k tv as opposed to a 1080p tv, again im guessing not. 

back to currys and I ask about the refresh rate....complete blank looks and a long embarrising silence    :lol ...probs a bit too techy for the shop boys , we had a little laugh at thier expense  :lol

Yep I get to that stage with almost everything I buy, by the time I am ready to buy I know more about it product than they do

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2016, 02:54:35 pm »
Hi Red :wave:

I've just bought myself a new telly 3 weeks ago (I cashed in on this "black friday" malarkey). Most of the guys have mentioned the main points: refresh rate is key for gaming, the more Hz the better as this is what smooths movement out during fast gaming (same also applies if your watching a lot of footy etc).

if you can get a 4k for what your wanting to spend then go for it as it will somewhat futureproof the TV too. mines has got smart TV functionality which i thought was a bit of a gimmick, but ive already found myself sticking youtube on through it to stick music on a few times :o

size wise just go for whatever seems the best deal, I had a 50" in mind initially, but because of the deals at the time I ended up with 58" because all the other features I wanted were there and the price was good, so dont limit yourself too much to size, just focus on the resolution and refresh rate (i.e. the quality) and the rest will be what it is.

John Lewis do a 5 year warranty on all their TV's and have a price match service... worth bearing this in mind as most TV's only come with a 2 year warranty out the box ;)

Costco (if you have one local and have a card/know someone) also do the 5 year warranty on TV's at no extra cost.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2016, 03:01:17 pm »
About 5 years ago I brought a 55in

I've just bought myself a 58"
Bastard.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2016, 03:08:33 pm »
:lol:thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2016, 04:30:18 pm »
Hi mick...cheers for your advice   :thumbup

well ive gone and bought one......samsung T32E3905X , smart , 32" led tv , full HD 1080p , 400 hz processing rate , freeview HD  all for £279.99 click and collect from currys

what do you think foccers  ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2016, 05:41:54 pm »
i wouldn't go for the jvc either.
john lewis i think they have very good customer services and in most cases give extra years guarantee for the same price

We went from a 32inch to 55 and straight away noticed that dvds look crap compared to bluray, also some normal freewview tv channels looked crap at this size, channel 5 and the like, bbc was not so bad but you you could see a difference at 55inch, as more and more free view HD channels are now appearing things are much better.

So if I brought a 4k tv and watched normal non hd free view would that look better or worse than a 1080p tv, im guessing just the same.
Would bluerays look any different on a 4k tv as opposed to a 1080p tv, again im guessing not. 

back to currys and I ask about the refresh rate....complete blank looks and a long embarrising silence    :lol ...probs a bit too techy for the shop boys , we had a little laugh at thier expense  :lol

Yep I get to that stage with almost everything I buy, by the time I am ready to buy I know more about it product than they do

DVD's are PAL so although touted as 625 lines, the content on view is only 576 lines, that's why they now look a bit ropey in comparison to HD stuff.

As for older standard definition programmes on your HD tv, it is what it is.
What people don't realise is that it also depends on how the programme was filmed and if any alterations were made to the camera.
Without getting too into it, something could've been filmed using a 16mm film camera instead of a 35mm camera, so you have to cram the same detail onto a smaller frame of film.
Also a normal 35mm camera for example would pull down the reel at 4 perforations of film per frame, but we have the ability to adjust our cameras to pull down only 3 perf or even 2 perf's at a time, which again is cramming more stuff into a smaller space. This is simply done if it's a low budget job, a camera that has been adjusted to work 2 perf will obviously only use half the film stock of a 4 perf camera.
As you can imagine that can be a huge money saver, but picture quality will suffer.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2016, 05:45:20 pm »
Hi mick...cheers for your advice   :thumbup

well ive gone and bought one......samsung T32E3905X , smart , 32" led tv , full HD 1080p , 400 hz processing rate , freeview HD  all for £279.99 click and collect from currys

what do you think foccers  ?

Job's a good'un Red, just about ticks all the boxes there matey.  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 December 2016, 06:02:15 pm »
Good to hear mr darrsi   :)   you sure know your stuff...you ever considered a career in retail , i know at least one shop that could do with your services   :lol .......thanks for your help...
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 06:20:06 pm by red98 »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
Just having a foc-u mooch

a bit late on here but I heard ages ago that there is an optimal screen size depending on how close to the screen you are.

don't quote me on it but according to the net I believe it is 1.6 x the diagonal measurement of the screen, TV sizes are measured on the diagonal........so if you have a 32 inch screen then the optimal distance to be sitting is - 51.2 inches...or 1.3 metres.

Moral of the story being that if you are in a small bedroom & then pack a mahoosive TV in it and you end up being closer to the TV than 1.6 times the diagonal then it is a complete waste of money...you wont see it as well as you should & you'll probably burn your eyes out.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2016, 08:53:36 pm »
Just having a foc-u mooch

a bit late on here but I heard ages ago that there is an optimal screen size depending on how close to the screen you are.

don't quote me on it but according to the net I believe it is 1.6 x the diagonal measurement of the screen, TV sizes are measured on the diagonal........so if you have a 32 inch screen then the optimal distance to be sitting is - 51.2 inches...or 1.3 metres.

Moral of the story being that if you are in a small bedroom & then pack a mahoosive TV in it and you end up being closer to the TV than 1.6 times the diagonal then it is a complete waste of money...you wont see it as well as you should & you'll probably burn your eyes out.

Try telling that to a youngster playing a game.  :lol