Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

The dreaded first exup service..

(1/5) > >>

ogri48:
30 k up but the valve was serviced two years ago..so will it be ok or will I get a snapper...I think you know the answer to that..:-(

ogri48:
The metal spacer/ bush at the other end of the valve is very loose and rattles like a bugger when it's cold, so I'm thinking plenty of copper slip either end and clean/ re grease the whole thing every 1000 miles or so. Sound about right? As for the snapped bolt, I have some decent worth timeserts, would you suggest drilling it out to fit one so I can keep the same bolt size as before, or just going up with the next size so it's beefier. And finally, oe cap heads or swap for stainless? Cheers fellers, best I get me makita out and find a sharp drill bit...

robbo:

Hi ogri48,
Definitely change for stainless steel. The necessary sizes are M6x10mm (3) for the outer cover, M6x16mm(3) for the valve, M5x12mm for the pulley centre and M4x6mm for the bush end cover. Shame you've had a snapper, I was lucky with mine and got them all out with no problems. Personally I'd try and keep the same size bolts, but that just me.
Good luck.

ogri48:
Cheers Robbo, I was thinking just the same mate, theres not a lot of meat left on the edge if I drill it out bigger..so spent a lot of time fiddling about drilled a small hole, lots of plus gas around the snapped bolt, and heat applied to the exhaust casting and decent quality easy out - 2 hours later I'd got it out, used wurth 3 stage taps to clean up the threads, wire brushed the valve and back together with stainless.. had some in me box just gotta get some smaller ones for the cover and spindle, cheers for the sizes feller :-)

mtread:
Ironic 'Fragile' notice behind the Exup ?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version