Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: Mod Reversal?  (Read 2444 times)

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Mod Reversal?
« on: 22 November 2016, 05:18:56 pm »
Hi all,

Am interested to know if rather than looking to add mods, anyone has decided to remove them all and go back to stock setup?

Just for background, I've got a Fuel silencer (no exup - sounds great), removed flies, high flow filter, AIS blocked, power commander V and autotune, smaller front sprocket, but I don't feel I've gained anything in the rev range I normally ride in.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is a rocket at high revs and I've possibly fallen into the mod trap trying to get something out of an engine that it's not possible to get - i.e. nice low range torque.  After all, an engine's character can't really be changed without serious work, simply tuned for best performance, but essentially same 'character' if that makes sense.

All I seem to have done is reduced economy quite a lot (small front sprocket) and not really improved normal riding for the type I normally do.

I'm actually thinking the bike had better torque when I got it and I'm seriously considering removing everything and setting back to stock (auto-tune etc all going back on ebay I guess) even with original exhaust and exup etc.

Anyone else gone through this, and did you feel you'd done the right thing going back?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Reversal?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 06:57:39 pm »
Maybe the best thing to do is to find a bog standard one and take it for a ride. See how it feels and if it's something you could live with.
Then you'll know if you want to go through all the bother of reverting yours to standard?

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2016, 09:44:36 pm »
It's been said many times, taking the exup out gets rid of the mid range, would appear yours is proof of that.
A well set up gen 1 with ivans and an exup has plenty low/mid range grunt and not many have any complaints about it
« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 09:46:21 pm by Mick-H »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2016, 03:29:42 am »
It's been said many times, taking the exup out gets rid of the mid range, would appear yours is proof of that.
A well set up gen 1 with ivans and an exup has plenty low/mid range grunt and not many have any complaints about it
He has a gen2 according to his profile, exup doesn`t make much difference.
The gen2 only makes about 70 lb/ft torque and that is at about 9000 revs in standard trim, a gen1 makes about 75 at around 7500 in standard trim.
If you want to get the best out of a gen2 with mods then its dyno time and a custom fuel map to suit your mods.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2016, 09:06:28 am »
If you want to get the best out of a gen2 with mods then its dyno time and a custom fuel map to suit your mods.

Thanks, yeah Gen II.

Maybe it's just I've come to the end my mod's then and just have to accept the character of the engine.

Like I say, it's a rocket once the rev's build, but I'm probably trying to get twin cylinder punch that isn't going to happen.  The PC V and autotune have produced a good map, but the normal riding range isn't too far removed from the bike as stock.

I might simply remove it all to get some money back and enjoy the bike as is.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2016, 11:46:04 am »
The EXUP valve is there to give you better low down/mid-range torque (closed) as well as top end power (open) so by removing it, you remove the lower end performance.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2016, 01:44:34 pm »
The EXUP valve is there to give you better low down/mid-range torque (closed) as well as top end power (open) so by removing it, you remove the lower end performance.
As has already been said that only applies to Gen1 bikes the OP has a Gen2 where the EXUP only serves to lower noise and emissions and has no effect on on power delivery.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
I would argue that if your only riding it in the rev range in which the mods aren't effective then would you not be better off with a smaller bike?
If your only riding around the 3-6000 rev range then your not using any of a litre bikes potential regardless of mods.

As you said you were searching for the torque of a twin, maybe look at an MT07? They are very cheap new so I'm sure you could sell a fully modded gen 2 fz1 for a similar price to a the cost of a used standard MT?
Just a thought 😊

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2016, 02:37:48 pm »
I would argue that if your only riding it in the rev range in which the mods aren't effective then would you not be better off with a smaller bike?
If your only riding around the 3-6000 rev range then your not using any of a litre bikes potential regardless of mods.

As you said you were searching for the torque of a twin, maybe look at an MT07? They are very cheap new so I'm sure you could sell a fully modded gen 2 fz1 for a similar price to a the cost of a used standard MT?
Just a thought 😊

This is what I've been debating in my head for the last year to be honest, and with the current price of a Tracer 7 I could flog the FZ and buy brand new with pocket money (well maybe not quite).

The problem is I really like the FZ and when fully loaded makes for a nice touring bike.  I might take it back to stock anyway as I can get some money back on the PC/autotune etc and enjoy as is a bit longer while I have a thing about where to go next.

Just was interested to hear if anyone else had gone through similar thoughts.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
A mate of mine has an 06 or 07 Gen 2 , standard I think, he tootles around, just done his advanced test, seems quite happy with it, seems to have no interest in modding, now I have PC3 and a lot of mods, rode it fast on the roads , using all the revs up to the limiter, now  I use it on track,goes really well, looking forward to some more dry time on track,really enjoying it,
Same bike , two different needs.

Bill
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.