Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:15 pm

Author Topic: Guy Martin  (Read 4417 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Guy Martin
« on: 22 November 2016, 12:32:44 pm »
I see  Guy Martin has said he is done with the TT now, great rider and competitor and I for one do not blame him for saying he has had enough.
Respect.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Guy Martin
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 01:46:45 pm »
He's got no more bones left to break, that's why  :rollin

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2016, 03:39:04 pm »
I think he realised his chances of winning a TT  were getting slimmer, and with all his tv work he still gets his kicks with a lot less danger and a lot more money.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2016, 04:43:50 pm »
One of the nicest blokes never to win a TT, who deserves total respect for the effort put into trying to achieve his dream. Top,bloke.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2017, 12:11:06 am »

Well never say never. Guy has just signed for Honda racing UK teaming up with John McGuinness competing at the NW200 and the TT hopefully they will do the UGP as well.
I really do wish though that Guy had stayed retired . Riders who retire and then come back !!!!!!!!! well I am sure you get my drift. Just look  how that worked out for Ryan Farquhar he is a very lucky man to be still alive.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2017, 09:59:59 am »
Totally get where you're coming from Lew, I did have the same concern for Mike Hailwood, all be it a long time ago, and in Mike's case, racingwise, it worked out ok. I've come to regard Guy in recent years as a sort of a motorbiking Fred Dibnah who has become very popular with the non-biking public. We can only trust his judgement, and wish him safe racing. :thumbup :thumbup
« Last Edit: 19 January 2017, 10:01:55 am by robbo »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2017, 07:14:22 pm »
I think the fact that he is probably the best rider not to have won a TT is the reason why he's come back and or a channel 4 TT speed special to boot !! I really hope that the new blade is up to beating Michael Dunlop who whilst not my favourite is probably the quickest on the roads at the moment Plus as I'm going this year I'd really like to be there to see it.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2017, 09:25:02 am »
As much as i like Guy Martin, i've read both his books and he has always spouted on about the TV career very much being secondary to his motorbike racing. That being said i have seen him on telly a lot more than i have seen him on the track lately. I dont think he will do anything at the TT to be honest, i know in the past he has been plagued with bad bikes/crashes etc but Dunlop, Hutchinson and a whole raft of others will be well in front for a podium finish before Martin will.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2017, 09:32:35 am »

Well never say never. Guy has just signed for Honda racing UK teaming up with John McGuinness competing at the NW200 and the TT hopefully they will do the UGP as well.
I really do wish though that Guy had stayed retired . Riders who retire and then come back !!!!!!!!! well I am sure you get my drift. Just look  how that worked out for Ryan Farquhar he is a very lucky man to be still alive.

Yeah was reading about that on 'Bugsplat' cut and pasted below from Visordown/Bugsplat 

Guy Martin has signed a deal with the official Honda Racing team to ride the new CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2 at this year's Isle of Man TT.
In a surprising comeback, Martin will make his return to the international road races for the first time since a serious accident at the Ulster Grand Prix in 2015.
The 35-year-old has cut ties with Tyco BMW in his switch to the official Honda effort and joins alongside 23-time TT winner John McGuinness.
Martin will ride Superstock and Superbike machinery at the TT and is also set to return to the North West 200, Southern 100 and Ulster Grand Prix meetings.
It represents a huge U-turn for the truck mechanic and television presenter with his future in road racing cast into doubt after his back injury at Dundrod in August 2015, while he opted to skip last year’s Isle of Man TT in favour for the ultra-endurance mountain bike event the Tour Divide.
The Grimsby rider admits after considering the Honda offer he felt it was too good a deal to turn down and is relishing the challenge of the new Fireblade along with working alongside McGuinness.
"Neil Tuxworth has been talking to me for a while about joining the team, but I had a lot of thinking to do before I committed and said yes," Martin said. "I spent a lot of time on my push bike to and from work, thinking about what to do.
"I didn’t want to grow old regretting not giving the Honda a go, and the more time passes since making the decision, the more time I’ve thought it is the right decision. Honda is a great team and the Fireblade has always been a weapon on the roads, so with the new bike, I'm keen to give it a go.
"We’ve got a busy testing schedule coming up and I’ve put some other stuff off to make time. John [McGuinness] is the man, I’ve got massive respect for him and I’m looking forward to racing on the Fireblade against him."
Martin previously raced Honda machinery at the TT for the Hydrex Honda team and Wilson Craig Racing.
McGuinness is duly targeting a return to the top step at the TT with the new Honda and has welcomed Martin with open arms.
"I’m excited to have Guy as my new team-mate," McGuinness said. we’ve enjoyed many a racing battle over the years and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can both do."
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 09:36:01 am by tommyardin »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2017, 10:48:45 pm »
Roll on the NW200 where we can many of the TT riders in action. It is turning in to a TT shakedown :woot

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2017, 12:31:49 pm »
It is just a shame the NW200 falls before the UGP. The UGP is a far better race and Guy always goes well there. Okay I know he had a bad off at Dundrod two years ago but his record round there is much better than the NW200. The NW200 is just boring even I could get in a decent lap time there, straights, brake chicane, straights, brake chicane. Guy himself says it is shite.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2017, 05:55:54 pm »
It is just a shame the NW200 falls before the UGP. The UGP is a far better race and Guy always goes well there. Okay I know he had a bad off at Dundrod two years ago but his record round there is much better than the NW200. The NW200 is just boring even I could get in a decent lap time there, straights, brake chicane, straights, brake chicane. Guy himself says it is shite.
I have to agree ( except doing the lap time myself ) whenever I watch the NW it don't give me the same goosebumps that the TT or Ulster gives, but as previously posted it is turning in to a TT shakedown even more so this year with getting accustomed to the new blade and tuning set up , add to that you'll probably see a few TT riders doing BSB round this year as well

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2017, 09:02:51 pm »
Guy will no doubt do all the Irish road events and maybe something here as I'm sure he needs something like 6 events under his belt to qualify for a TT race license.

Edmund

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kz750Twin G1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 11:55:11 pm »
I've read that as well somewhere that he needs events before they will let him race. Go Guy!!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2017, 06:21:05 pm »

If guy needs 6 race events before doing the 2017 TT he will be hard pushed to get those in certainly on the roads.
He has only missed 1 year ? 2016, surely his licence will still be valid?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2017, 07:31:02 pm »
Pretty sure the article was in MCN about the 6 races to get his TT license as there's a possibility of even racing in classic and national events here on the mainland to get the number up to six. It does seem a bit odd for Honda to hire him without knowing he can definitely ride.A case of watch this space I suppose.

King Orry

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 650 Vstrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2017, 10:53:22 am »
He needs to decide what he wants, he lacks focus, and without that he'll never win a TT. (He focuses for the first couple of laps and is as fast or faster than any, then slips away).
He's been entertaining fer sure, but now I think he's a bit of a wally.
I Marshall at the TT, and my bro is a paramedic, often up in the chopper, while It'd be great if he could finally win one, as has already been pointed out, it could easily end badly.
But, especially as he lives not far from me (I see him out on a pushbike every now and again) I really hope he finally nails it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2017, 11:50:19 am »

I agree, the UGP is probably the best pure road race, but the NW200 is a great shakedown for the TT.
Guy was unfortunate last time out in the UGP but it was a electronics issue with the TCS rather than a rider error.

Would like to see him do well at the TT but I just hope he gets through the week in one piece.

The Honda didn't do to well in WSBK today :eek

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2017, 11:02:18 pm »

Well Guy has not got his comeback of to a great start, he crashed out on the first lap taking another rider with him. Thankfully both riders escaped injury.
There is actual footage posted on Facebook, TT warriors group what the hell Guy was doing was just plain bloody stupid. He pulls a stunt like that on the Island they will scrape him of some wall.

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript