Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:32 pm

Author Topic: Riding to work  (Read 4584 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Riding to work
« on: 22 November 2016, 10:37:29 am »
I had an epic blast this morning,  half 4, empty ish motorway and the wind blowing so hard I could barely stay in my lane. Suddenly a leaf, a big 🍁 type thing splats me right across the visor. I nearly pooped myself,  the thing would not come off. Proper stuck on and my thick winter gloves were useless for clearing the crud away. 
Proper scarey moment

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Riding to work
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 01:50:52 pm »
Certainly is a shite day for biking!  Luckily I only have a 5 mile commute but about 3 miles of that is along the seafront which was scary enough!

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2016, 11:34:11 am »
I had a crow hit me in the chest riding across Blackheath last year almost had me off  :eek fuking crapped myself  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2016, 11:55:26 am »
Remember years ago I was riding back from the coast on a motorway and was following a Porsche which was probably 100 metres ahead of me, then I saw something fly up in the air from it's wheels.
So, still paying attention to riding, as I'm doing about 80mph, I watched it......and watched it.....and watched it.....until it literally smacked me dead centre of my visor!!
Luckily I think it must've been a piece of lightweight wood, 'cos if it had been anything harder it would've hit me like a bullet.  :eek
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2016, 12:29:48 pm »
[touch wood] I've not had many scaries.
I watched a door panel emerge from under the car in front of me while buzzing down the motorway. I didn't have time to avoid it so pulled my weight back, thought a happy thought, hit it square on and luckily went straight over it.

I had a rock break the thumb lip off my visor and also had a fist size bird glance off my front fairing and distribute itself across one of my shoulders.

I don't much fancy being out in this weather unless it's in town cruising.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2016, 12:50:27 pm »
Pigeons, none have quite managed to get me but I swear they hear me coming and say "lets get him" its got to the stage now when I even duck down when one flys over when I am in the car. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2016, 01:43:54 pm »
[touch wood] I've not had many scaries.
I watched a door panel emerge from under the car in front of me while buzzing down the motorway. I didn't have time to avoid it so pulled my weight back, thought a happy thought, hit it square on and luckily went straight over it.

I had a rock break the thumb lip off my visor and also had a fist size bird glance off my front fairing and distribute itself across one of my shoulders.

I don't much fancy being out in this weather unless it's in town cruising.

Wood touched me.....then i nearly touched cloth.  :lol

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2016, 02:34:56 pm »
Had a crow dive bomb directly towards my face, managed to duck my head but it still clipped the top of my lid.
That was my first twitchy bumhole moment on a motorcycle  :lol
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2016, 03:08:41 pm »
A pigeon almost almost snapped my back (sort of )
I exiting a roundabout that I know very well  ;) after going straight over, so having just banked right and then flipped over left at that point I ducked an incoming pidgin and the extra ducking movement was one too many directions for my spine   

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2016, 03:42:54 pm »
Once had a nob car driver flick a cigarette out of his window as I was filtering through slow traffic ,got me under the eye , that foccing stung and the dick didn't think he did anything wrong, I'm sure he always wondered what the ashtray in the car was for 😡
And had a wasp go up under the front of my lid ( long time ago not very expensive lid ) and buzz around in front of my eyes 👀 shit me pants , panicked and forgot I could lift the visor for about 10 seconds , the longest 10 seconds of my life , although my missus tells me I think 10 seconds is ages  :lol

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2016, 03:58:40 pm »
Once had a nob car driver flick a cigarette out of his window as I was filtering through slow traffic ,got me under the eye , that foccing stung and the dick didn't think he did anything wrong, I'm sure he always wondered what the ashtray in the car was for 😡
And had a wasp go up under the front of my lid ( long time ago not very expensive lid ) and buzz around in front of my eyes 👀 shit me pants , panicked and forgot I could lift the visor for about 10 seconds , the longest 10 seconds of my life , although my missus tells me I think 10 seconds is ages  :lol

Had a similar cigarette issue myself but it hit my chest so manaed to stop and pick it up (after checking that I wasn't on fire) and politely gave it back to the driver, the look of confusion on his face was priceless but he still took it back and but it in the ashtray  :lol

As for the 10 seconds, it's not your fault they can't keep up  :rollin :rollin :rollin
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2016, 03:58:52 pm »

Oh, I had a bee go down my collar once when leaving work and it stung me, I started feeling my shoulder going numb so turned back and went back into work in case I had a dodgy reaction to it. Was fine half hour later though.  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2016, 04:32:17 pm »
Yep had a bee hit me in the neck and drop down my collier, it stung me around the throat area, ever since then I have worn a buff scarf. 

Its also surprising how much a 70mph bee can hurt when it hits your neck. --- Actually it could of been 90mph, 70 me and 20 the bee. 
« Last Edit: 02 December 2016, 04:34:28 pm by fazersharp »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2016, 06:19:47 pm »
When I was younger and lived in Spain I used to ride around with no visor in my helmet (if I wore one at all) and in 5 or 6 year never got hit by anything.
About 3 weeks after moving back I was riding with my visor open and got hit in the nose by a bit of gravel..... have never lifted it while riding since haha
And I have so many 'scars' on my current helmet from multiple things hitting me at speed. I swear to god an insect managed to crack one of my vents 😲😐

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2016, 08:09:56 pm »
After 30 + years in the saddle, I've had some scaries as well, from the time a scaffold pipe slid off the back of the truck in front of me (on a 1983 Kawa Z750) to being just off the rear quarter of an artic when one of his tyres blew (1980 GS1000S). Birds, dogs, & rabbits have all tried their luck, but it was the fucking deer jumping out of a hedge that got me (2006 FJR) - broken collarbone, written off bike and a substantial amount of venison to deal with! :eek
You never know what is going to happen, how your going to react and I think that's what makes riding a bike, that more memorable than a car journey. Majority of car drivers wouldn't have seen that leaf which destroyed your vision for that split second and therefore won't appreciate the humour that exists on forums like these.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2016, 09:07:14 pm »
Going round a very nice right hander (already cranked over enough) right in my path was a wheel trim, to this day I do not know how I leaned over even further and ducked under it.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2016, 07:44:35 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2016, 09:10:53 pm »
Thinking about it forget other road users 50% of riding near misses have been from shit laying in the road or all manner of kamikaze creatures.
You city boys have got it easy. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2016, 10:53:39 pm »
Going round a very nice left hander (already cranked over enough) right in my path was a wheel trim, to this day I do not know how I leaned over even further and ducked under it.

Just thank your lucky stars it wasn't raining......your bike would've got wet.  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2016, 11:44:56 pm »
Years ago I blasting up the road that was then called the A3 (Before the bypass was built) which at that time went right through the centre of Liphook in Hants, well just before reaching Liphook going Northbound heading towards Guildford there is a railway bridge that is on a sharpish S bend by the Golf Course I was entering the first element of the S bend(its a sharp flick left then instantly right and under the bridge) and had a rabbit run right through the front wheel of my BSA 650 Super Rocket that had wire spoke wheels.
I did not realise a rabbit could spread so far and make so much mess all over my legs, it was like 3 pound weight of blood and mince meat all over me, stop, turn around and back home to change.   :'(

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2016, 01:39:38 am »
On the bikes over the years I've been hit in the shoulder by a pheasant, but managed to stay on despite a massive tank slapper, was hit in the visor by a pigeon, thought my neck was broken, it was sore for a week,  killed a small dog, hit a boar which tossed me under a truck, managed to walk away from that one with 2 cracked ribs, truck driver nearly had a heart attack :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2016, 06:46:08 am »
On the bikes over the years I've been hit in the shoulder by a pheasant, but managed to stay on despite a massive tank slapper, was hit in the visor by a pigeon, thought my neck was broken, it was sore for a week,  killed a small dog, hit a boar which tossed me under a truck, managed to walk away from that one with 2 cracked ribs, truck driver nearly had a heart attack :lol

Pigeon was obviously mistaken identity, saw the Fazer on a dry day and thought it was Fazersharp.
But then you say "hit a boar"?
I live in Harrow, school place of Winston Churchill, and i don't recall him, me, or anyone else ever having issues with rampant boar's causing traffic problems!
Some small dog's are just too big for their boots and need to be put in their place occasionally. Normally terriers or the like with Napoleon syndrome that have a bark and a bite not quite as big as my size nines.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2016, 08:48:19 am »
I remember watching a piece of gravel flick up off the back of my friend's R1 and hit me in the visor, didn't crack it but certainly left its mark.  It's like it happens in slow mo, despite us nipping along rather quick.

Another time I was following another friend on his VFR and a bunny ran out in front of him, he ran it over and cut it in half, I then got 2 bits of bunny flicked along the road towards me.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2016, 07:41:37 pm »
Got hit in the face by a pheasant while on the motorway once. It jumped out of the way of a lorry in the slow lane and into me....that hurt.
Bumble bee hitting my chest then going up inside my visor while banked over at 90mph was a buttock clencher, especially as I had one of those Roof helmets where the visor never opened. I screamed the whole time it took to stop, park the bike, remove my helmet and chuck it into a field....took me ages to climb that fence to get my lid back.  :rolleyes
I have had a few near misses with scaffolding poles, bricks and planks of wood aswell.

While filtering through traffic someone threw their McD's bag (which included their drink) out of their window which I promptly caught and with a single arm motion chucked it back through their window.......unfortunately I never hung around long enough to see the reaction.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2016, 08:16:38 pm »

I have had a few near misses with scaffolding poles, bricks and planks of wood as well.

I can see what the problem here is ,and, i know the answer.
KEEP OUT OF THE FOCCING BUILDING SITES.   :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2016, 10:51:07 pm »

Pigeon was obviously mistaken identity, saw the Fazer on a dry day and thought it was Fazersharp.
But then you say "hit a boar"?
I live in Harrow, school place of Winston Churchill, and i don't recall him, me, or anyone else ever having issues with rampant boar's causing traffic problems!
Some small dog's are just too big for their boots and need to be put in their place occasionally. Normally terriers or the like with Napoleon syndrome that have a bark and a bite not quite as big as my size nines.

:lol :lol

Was on the way home and the boar had broken out of a local pig farm.  :rolleyes