Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:14 am

Author Topic: Riding to work  (Read 4615 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Riding to work
« Reply #25 on: 05 December 2016, 11:11:58 pm »
Came close to almost running over a mink last year, definitely not a ferret, could of been a stoat but google tells me it could of been a mink.
Funny how in the car no such creatures choose to leap out in front or dive bomb me, I think in the car that they hear you coming - not from the engine but from the 4 wheels on the road, where as on the bike I think they are startled by the engine and exhaust noise but by the time they have decided to run/scuttle/ fly/ slither/ bounce /hop across the road you are upon them.

Last year was riding along a nice bendy country road and came around a corner to find a grouse in my path, slammed my brakes on expecting the thing to move but nope -- i ended up having to ride around the cocky focer. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2016, 06:45:29 am »
Came close to almost running over a mink last year, definitely not a ferret, could of been a stoat but google tells me it could of been a mink.
Funny how in the car no such creatures choose to leap out in front or dive bomb me, I think in the car that they hear you coming - not from the engine but from the 4 wheels on the road, where as on the bike I think they are startled by the engine and exhaust noise but by the time they have decided to run/scuttle/ fly/ slither/ bounce /hop across the road you are upon them.

Last year was riding along a nice bendy country road and came around a corner to find a grouse in my path, slammed my brakes on expecting the thing to move but nope -- i ended up having to ride around the cocky focer.

"Yesh offisher, first of all a fur coat jumped out on me, then a famous bottle of scotch....hic."  :b
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2016, 11:07:58 am »
On one early ride to work I rode down a narrow lane,  I was only doing 15 or 20mph as it was quite bendy.  I noticed something in the road at the edge of my light beam. as I got closer I realised it was an owl. Getting closer and it decides to take off. It's massive wing span suddenly fills the narrow lane and it attempts to fly directly upwards because of high banks and hedging.  I am slowing but still get a hefty smack in the visor from it's Talons which are holding some poor dead creature. Which itself left blood, entrails and excrement over my lid.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2016, 06:57:03 pm »
Was riding into work one winter, snow was on the ground.
Was doing about 30mph when and arm came out of a van coming towards me and lobbed a snowball.
It hit me right in the chest.
It hurt.
Foccin bastids

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2016, 01:12:31 am »
I used to think marmots were fictional creatures until I watched one cross in front of the biker in front of me.

hooning it over the Stelvio pass in Italy, trying to keep up with two Germans on big sport bikes. This thing seemed to emerge from under his bike miraculously unscathed, although I'm sure I actually saw the moment the rider s*a* himself!.   
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-