Date: 18-04-24  Time: 06:08 am

Author Topic: Any good and trustworthy mechanic in London please?  (Read 1847 times)

VasMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Any good and trustworthy mechanic in London please?
« on: 20 November 2016, 03:36:05 pm »
Hello everyone![/size]I am in a real need to find a good mechanic because I just had a pretty bad experience, by following Google's "expertise"... so I am hoping that one of you maybe you could guide me better based on your experience.Just to give you a little bit of a background story. I purchased a used FZ6 Fazer (2006) in July with around 30.000 mileage. It was very well maintained by the previous owner and since then I travelled almost all Europe and 12 countries. Everything looked fine. When I came back in London and I started using it to commute to work it started to behave a bit strange when the engine was off after a small trip, and I was trying to start it again. It wouldn't start straight away.Basically the problem got worse in 2 weeks time when the engine wouldn't start. The bike was giving me the error with number 12. With a quick search the problem seemed to be the crankshaft position sensor, which is not a big deal. It is an electrical problem and not mechanical. Yamaha dealership wouldn't accept to get it fixed since it is more than 7 years old, which I still find very strange, and even rude but that is another story. Since I couldn't start it I looked if a garage was nearby, and actually there was. When I called the guy he told me that he is not my area anymore and that he moved. But since we had a good discussion and he looked knowledgable I decided to hire a van, get some friends with me and get it to him. He was very confident that will be a quick fix. 2 days later he called me and he said that is a much bigger job since "the timing is out camchain has jumped a tooth on camshaft sprocket"I told him to hold and that I would come over to check, cause some of the things did not make sense... 2 more weeks passed, (while the bike was out in the rain uncovered) and I went there I realised that he based his above diagnosis without even opening the engine...! Long story short he told me that he would open it and check. Almost a month is now passed... And yesterday he calls me and basically he gives me the following report..."Engine does not startFirstly fuel pump, fuel pressure and injectors were checkedI suspected cam chain tensioner failure causing the timing chain to jump a tooth on the sprocketsChecked timing it was all ok, my initial diagnosis was wrongChecked ignition coils and crank shaft position sensor Sparks but after inspecting the actual spark plugs they were showing signs of overusage furthermore the spark was a thin light brown colourSpark plugs were replaced but no improvementFurther investigation was requiredNoticed petrol in the crank case I suspect it is caused by low compression Valve clearance needs to be checked as not fully closing valves are a very highly probable causeChances are low but also worth mentioning that worn piston rings are also not an unlikely cause of the low compressionThese are purely speculations or educated guesses at bestRecommendation is to strip top end check valve clearances replace valve shims accordingly reassamble check compression if no little or no improvement replace piston rings"As you can imagine I did not receive the service I would expect, and basically he told me that it is not worth doing the repair... but the bike overall behaved perfect apart from this, so I would not trust that it is not repairable...So, could you recommend someone that you would trust to do a good job? I would extremely appreciate that!Thanks in advance!![/size]

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Any good and trustworthy mechanic in London please?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 06:10:06 pm »
Sorry Vas I can't help as I am not in London, no one else seems to want to help either, obviously all the London Mechanics are not not recommendable :'( ]
Anyway Bro welcome to FOC-U, hope you get a few that can help, I am really surprised that no one had responded, everyone on here are very friendly and usually only to willing to help or advise.
Come on you foccers! some one out there must know a reliable man to help out.

Anything mechanical I have that needs doing that I feel is beyond my capabilities I take to a small company in Aldershot  (A Force Motorcycles) run by two brothers, Darron is one, the others name I have forgotten, but they are really helpful and seems always willing to go out of their way to help.
Plus they are only about 18 or so miles from me.

As an example, I had a leak in my front tyre when I first got my bike (FZS 600) I phoned a large motorcycle dealer/garage not that far from where i live and asked if they could sort it for me, they answered yes so I asked when I should bring it in, I was told hang on a minute I will look at our jobs list, I hung on for 5 or 6 minutes and the guy came back to me and said bring it in on such and such a date, the date I was given was 5 weeks ahead, this would have taken me into middle of May.

A mate of mine said to give A Force Motorcycles a bell.

I phoned up A Force that afternoon and explained what needed doing and Darron said drop the wheel out and pop it over which I did and within 45 minutes of pulling up in my van with the front wheel the job was done. it was a leak between the valve stem and the rim, I was really impressed with the care that was taken the wheel wiped over before starting, great care was taken cleaning the inside of the rim and the whole job was completed as Darron was chatting to me, most don't want you anywhere near them while they work on your bike. Darron had nothing to hide he is good at what he does.
Anyone in the Aldershot, Hants area I would thourghly reccomend 'A Force' are the Bogs Dollocks.Darron rides a black FZS 600 boxeye, he knows them inside out.  Aldershot 01252 334151 
Tom
[/size][/font]

davebike

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - C90 CUB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2016, 12:02:06 pm »
I a pro based in SE20
I hate taking over a job that someone has had a go at 
If the guy that has the bike says low compression what figures is he giving ??

I can be reached on 07860 215638 or 020 7249 7940  ( may get buisness partner Simon)
Phone not answered after hours  :-))

Fazer FZ6 2004 Honda C90 cub
Professional mechanic  IAM member
Davebike1@gmail.com

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2016, 11:25:33 pm »
Thanks for the response Dave, :thumbup  hope VasMan gets to see you post

davebike

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - C90 CUB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2016, 08:46:01 am »
Always happy to advise I been a pro since 1976 and feel it is my due to pass on what I have learnt as those that guided me did !

With me advice is always free as long a s it dose not take me away from earning a living for too long !

Fazer FZ6 2004 Honda C90 cub
Professional mechanic  IAM member
Davebike1@gmail.com