Date: 25-04-24  Time: 16:33 pm

Author Topic: Video mirrors  (Read 2364 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Video mirrors
« on: 19 November 2016, 09:39:08 am »
Possibly the most pointless video ever in regards to the story, but check out his wing mirrors.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/563150/GTA-5-biker-police-helicopter-high-speed-chase-thrilling-style-out-runs-video
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Video mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2016, 04:22:07 pm »
I saw something similar to this recently where a guy had mounted a camera onto the tail of his bike linked up to a lcd screen on his dash.
Looked really cool and apparently negated the need for mirrors but I'd like to know how the m.o.t station felt about that?  🤔🤔

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2016, 08:31:47 pm »
I read earlier that wing mirrors are not a legal requirement in th UK.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2016, 12:00:23 am »
I've looked around and nobody that  i can see actually sells video monitor rear view wing mirrors!
There for the taking if somebody wants to make some!!!
Business could potentially be a massive earner.
Don't forget it was me who pointed this out if you take advantage!  ;)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 12:01:10 am by darrsi »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2016, 10:37:18 am »
Would they be road legal?
Is there not some law that says drivers should not be able to see video whilst driving or the screen has to be behind the driver?
Mind you saying that the Police won't do anything as the amount of cars I see with dash cams  permanently on instead of being set so the screen goes blank after a few seconds seems to be on the increase.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2016, 02:03:51 pm »
Would they be road legal?
Is there not some law that says drivers should not be able to see video whilst driving or the screen has to be behind the driver?
Mind you saying that the Police won't do anything as the amount of cars I see with dash cams  permanently on instead of being set so the screen goes blank after a few seconds seems to be on the increase.

But you'll only be seeing the same as if you were looking in the mirror anyway, just a lot clearer and detailed.
If they stop you and notice you're watching a film then that's a different story.  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2016, 02:08:28 pm »
This answers that question then.
Still no mention of bikes though, and you just know it will eventually happen.

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-cameras-to-replace-wing-and-rear-view-car-mirrors/

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2016, 02:11:19 pm »
If you notice one side is a sat nav and the other side is the rear view which gives a better rear view as there are no blind spots like on a normal mirror

And in that case you would not need them to stick out so far to see around your elbows, actually you wouldnt even need them on stalks, do away with them all together and have an lcd dash like some cars do now   
« Last Edit: 20 November 2016, 02:16:44 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2016, 02:16:27 pm »
So what that article would be suggesting is have a monitor in your fairing and a rear camera with a lens that covers both sides of the bike, and ditch the wing mirrors completely which would make the bike more aerodynamic and in turn have less air drag, so it would make it more fuel efficient as well.
Happy days.  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2016, 02:20:30 pm »
If you notice one side is a sat nav and the other side is the rear view which gives a better rear view as there are no blind spots like on a normal mirror

And in that case you would not need them to stick out so far to see around your elbows, actually you wouldnt even need them on stalks, do away with them all together and have an lcd dash like some cars do now   

As undoubtedly helpful as Sat Navs are, i don't think they are wise to look at when riding or driving. Just my opinion, i think that they are a distraction.
Whenever i use mine i put it in my jacket pocket and use an earpiece to listen to directions.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2016, 02:50:31 pm »

As undoubtedly helpful as Sat Navs are, i don't think they are wise to look at when riding or driving. Just my opinion, i think that they are a distraction.
Whenever i use mine i put it in my jacket pocket and use an earpiece to listen to directions.
oh yes dont get me started on them, I hate the things, the only person who ever seems lost and goes swapping lanes or just sits in both lanes is always the one with a shat naf.
Girl in a mini - already a small screen and has some crap dangling from the mirror already and has the phone attached to the screen also has a giant 6inch sat nav right in the centre of the window screen, not that she is paying attention to them because she is looking in the vanity mirror flicking her hair.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2016, 03:46:27 pm »

oh yes dont get me started on them, I hate the things, the only person who ever seems lost and goes swapping lanes or just sits in both lanes is always the one with a shat naf.
Girl in a mini - already a small screen and has some crap dangling from the mirror already and has the phone attached to the screen also has a giant 6inch sat nav right in the centre of the window screen, not that she is paying attention to them because she is looking in the vanity mirror flicking her hair.

How did you know she was wearing a mini?  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2016, 06:08:01 pm »

Oh my goodness! old grumpy is off again LOL! :finger

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2016, 07:35:47 pm »
If you could set them to record they would give some great footage, not sure if anyone else has tried this but if you make sure your pointing in the right direction before looking at the mirrors you get a great impression of speed as the corner disappears into the distance

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2016, 10:40:31 am »
The new V4 Norton,which is featured in this weeks MCN has a rear view camera built into the 7" full colour instrument display.The dearer SS model has a limited run of 200 at £44k a pop,and they're all sold.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2016, 02:45:05 pm »

Indeed, they do not form part of the UK MOT test :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2016, 04:36:59 pm »

Indeed, they do not form part of the UK MOT test :)

We're all good to go then  ;) :thumbup