Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:44 am

Author Topic: Another Paypal scam  (Read 3619 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Another Paypal scam
« on: 16 November 2016, 11:21:53 pm »
Anyone else get this scam email which is trying to get your paypal login to do a little buying on your behalf  :eek or more

Looks very authentic, but the paypal site login address in the email is not all it appears because the hidden address behind it is the real address www.sisel.co.in/signin and clicking the link will take you to a very good copy of the paypal login.

Hovering the mouse finger pointer over the signin link in the email and you will see the real address behind it www.sisel.co.in/signin

Using a clever bit html coding it is easy to make the real link appear as something else.

Attached is a copy of the email I received again.

If you see something like this in your inbox it is best deleted.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Another Paypal scam
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2016, 11:28:02 pm »
I get these all the time, from 'my' banks, online auction sites and PayPal. The best one I've seen recently was from HMRC asking me all my bank details and identity verification so they could refund me the tax I'd overpaid!!!
How do these people get away with these scams and why is there not a money trail the police can follow?!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2016, 11:49:07 pm »
Yep I get those paypal ones and the bank ones and the tax back ones.
In any case so what if your paypal account will be limited - so focing what, limited how, cant those moron scammers come up with something more realistic.
I have a number of email accounts that I use for different things and so know instantly when its a scam without even reading the text.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2016, 11:52:13 pm »
Yeah, just send me £100,000 to my PayPal account in Africa and i can stop this nonsense. Honest.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2016, 11:55:54 pm »
 :lol :lol :lol

Had one recently looking for me to send on my bank details and take a selfie, to send to the bank for verification :eek   and People are still being taken in by these.

About 3 years ago the fellow rang me "from Microsoft" saying I had a problem with my PC and if I allowed him access via remote login he would resolve the problem.
This was fun since I have been involved in the IT sector since the first IBM PC XT of the early eighties. After stringing him along for a while I finally told him that it was amazing what they could do nowadays and I would love to know how he discovered I had a problem. After he giving a big story how microsoft can detect these things over the internet and other drivel,  I then told him how amazing it was that he found out all this since I did not have a PC or an internet connection.
Phone went dead  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2016, 06:19:55 am »
:lol :lol :lol

Had one recently looking for me to send on my bank details and take a selfie, to send to the bank for verification :eek   and People are still being taken in by these.

About 3 years ago the fellow rang me "from Microsoft" saying I had a problem with my PC and if I allowed him access via remote login he would resolve the problem.
This was fun since I have been involved in the IT sector since the first IBM PC XT of the early eighties. After stringing him along for a while I finally told him that it was amazing what they could do nowadays and I would love to know how he discovered I had a problem. After he giving a big story how microsoft can detect these things over the internet and other drivel,  I then told him how amazing it was that he found out all this since I did not have a PC or an internet connection.

"...and take a selfie..."  :rollin

That's a new one, i've not heard that before.
Would be even funnier trying to hear a central African fella's impression of a white Irishman on the phone as well, whilst a bank teller is looking at your I.D. photo.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2016, 06:24:23 am »
Anything that mentions "we need to confirm" is gonna be complete bullshit.
Same as when someone phones you up and says "Can you just confirm some details so we know who you are?"
"No, you just phoned me, who the fuck are you?"  :rolleyes

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2016, 07:29:31 am »
My bank calls me about every 2 months to try and sell me extra services. They then ask me to verify my mother's maiden name and date of birth!!!
my bank actually do this! And I have to explain to them how irresponsible I would have to be to give this information to an unsolicited caller.

« Last Edit: 17 November 2016, 07:30:45 am by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2016, 08:01:20 am »
My bank calls me about every 2 months to try and sell me extra services. They then ask me to verify my mother's maiden name and date of birth!!!
my bank actually do this! And I have to explain to them how irresponsible I would have to be to give this information to an unsolicited caller.

I do this too, who the hell are they ? could be anyone who has Fished you info
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2016, 08:47:28 am »
I then ask them to tell me my mother's maiden name and my national insurance number.
when in doubt go flat out

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2016, 09:01:00 am »
Regarding Paypal spam, they(Paypal) have an email address where any spam can be forwarded to, which is what I normally do,
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2016, 10:23:48 am »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2016, 01:33:31 pm »

I've had the exact same thing happened to me and I don't own a pc/laptop either but was funny listening to him reeling off wheat I needed to do haha

And I've had plenty of the scam emails from Halifax bank warning me about problems with my account.... thing is I don't even bank with them haha

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
I had a call (well several) from "Microsoft Windows". On one call I went along with everything (only in my mind not on the actual PC) and told them what they wanted to hear. They were getting a little frustrated in the end as my PPC wouldn't connect to their scam website. :pokefun
On another call, I asked them which PC as I have several? They then got upset and called me stupid for not knowing which PC had the problem. :pokefun
On another call they got upset when I asked their name and they said something like "Keith" to which I replied, "I work with a lot of Indians in Mumbai and Bangalore and have never heard one called that before". :pokefun
Other times I just hang up.  :pokefun

I am a wind up merchant sometimes.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2016, 02:40:24 pm »
I get a lot of those from"Keith" also and it depends on what mood I am in as to what my response is, so soon as they say hello and you hear the accent and the noise in the background I know its them, I once answered Houy Houy - al-la Mr Burns in the Simpsons and continued the whole conversation in the voice of Mr Burns "excellent" when he told me he could fix my pc.

Another one I said I dont have a windows pc as it is an apple (its not ) he said "are you sure - go and have a look"

Even when you tell them straight away to foc off cause you know its a scam they still keep saying no no its not, I think that they only get paid if the conversation gos on longer than 10 seconds or something, I had my latest one yesterday.     

Sometimes I really let rip at them especially when I have ran all the way from the lower fields back up to sharp hall only to hear that its "Keith". I actually think that their colleges are having a laugh with the new guys telling them to ring this chap and then they sit and piss themselves watching his face as I verbally smash his head in.     

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2016, 02:53:58 pm »
It's like those bastards that ring you up to tell you that you've been in an accident, what the fuck is all that about???

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2016, 03:10:44 pm »
It's like those bastards that ring you up to tell you that you've been in an accident, what the fuck is all that about???

I keep getting them call me on my work phone. I know its all bollix as I never give that number to anyone. When they call I turn the conversation round.

OK, so what's my name? They usually get that wrong.
If they do get the name then its "Which accident are you referring to? I have been in three recently". I haven't but that usually stumps them.
If I don't use the which accident question, its OK, what reg number and address do you have? They can never answer this as the insurance companies don't provide that data to them.

These ambulance chasing companies are bastards. The Insurance companies are worse though as they are the ones that sell (yes sell) lists of accident victims to them as another revenue stream.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2016, 03:50:21 pm »

I keep getting them call me on my work phone. I know its all bollix as I never give that number to anyone. When they call I turn the conversation round.

If they do get the name then its "Which accident are you referring to? I have been in three recently". I haven't but that usually stumps them.
If I don't use the which accident question, its OK, what reg number and address do you have? They can never answer this as the insurance companies don't provide that data to them.

These ambulance chasing companies are bastards. The Insurance companies are worse though as they are the ones that sell (yes sell) lists of accident victims to them as another revenue stream.

You're a lot more diplomatic than me then.
They either get an instant "Fuck off" or I put the phone by the telly or radio and leave them to it.  :lol

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2016, 12:14:08 am »

When I get these twats I usually keep them going for a while, I then ask them if it was the accident I was killed in they are on about, that usually gets rid of them. The computer ones I usually keep going for ten minutes then tell them they are scammers and anything they say I reply with "scammer" they don't usually stay on the line  long after that, as a side note I have noticed if I have to call BT for any broadband or line problems I always have Keith or Brian on the phone with the your computer is showing problems routine, I often think someone in BT is passing on your details to his cousin.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2016, 02:18:30 pm »
no foccer even tries to scam me :'(

on the accident one......mate hit a deer in the Lakes that nearly wiped the cage out and next thing after he's sorted the cage out......he gets a call from one of these peeps about his accident

I haven't had one he replies......but you can claim off the 3rd party comes the answer........I got hit by a deer love, can I claim off the deer?.........line went dead :lol
fire never sleeps

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2016, 07:01:54 pm »
Re the ppi and accident cold callers , I saw a program ( rip off Britain on BBC ) that had a bloke who got so pissed off with them that he got himself a premium rate (0845 etc ) number and got all the calls diverted there, it cost him about £20 to set up and so far made over 4 grand from it  :eek .   He even kept them talking as long as possible  :lol  there are rules about 0845 numbers re informing callers of the cost and I don't fully know how he did it but got to admit top idea , foccing annoyed I went to the TPS and don't get any nuisance calls now

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2016, 07:19:13 pm »
Re the ppi and accident cold callers , I saw a program ( rip off Britain on BBC ) that had a bloke who got so pissed off with them that he got himself a premium rate (0845 etc ) number and got all the calls diverted there, it cost him about £20 to set up and so far made over 4 grand from it  :eek .   He even kept them talking as long as possible  :lol  there are rules about 0845 numbers re informing callers of the cost and I don't fully know how he did it but got to admit top idea , foccing annoyed I went to the TPS and don't get any nuisance calls now
The tps only works for companies in the uk so the focs from india dont give a shit

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2016, 07:52:40 pm »
 I Didn't know that , I used to get the accident nuisance calls from Bombay and, strung em along for a bit til they asked what my injury was and I used to say I died or my head was amputated then they used to hang up but not long after I went on tps all the calls stopped.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2016, 09:20:06 pm »
Got this in my email at work today, quite a few others got it also. I certainly hope people are not that stupid to believe this crap

From: no-reply@tax-news.com [mailto:no-reply@tax-news.com]
Sent: Friday 11 November 2016 19:57
Subject: Great news ! You are eligible to Receive a Tax return.
 I am sending this email to announce:
After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to Receive a Tax return of:  EUR 820.55
 In order to complete your Tax Refund, we require one proof of identity and one proof of address.
 Please provide a colored copy of your valid ID and proof of address no longer than 3 months (ANY utility bill, bank statement etc). The following ID(s) that we accept are:
 - Passport (full details page and barcode has to be visible)
- Utility Bill (Not mobile phones)
 *  A photo of yourself holding your Passport in your hand (has to be visible) so we can carry out a full identification, this picture it can also be made with a webcam or a smartphone that will be able to take a good photo. A "selfie" with your Passport would be great.

Please send documentation to : IrishTaxReturn@consultant.com
FFS  :rolleyes