Date: 18-04-24  Time: 21:54 pm

Author Topic: Clutch mod FZ6 S2 2009/ GIPRO gear indicator  (Read 2033 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Clutch mod FZ6 S2 2009/ GIPRO gear indicator
« on: 08 November 2016, 05:38:48 pm »
Wow. Cant believe its been that long since Ive been on here. Anyhow, apologies for that. Ive completed the clutch mod that involved making and fitting a longer lever at the case end, and it works a treat for me, meaning the clutch action is a lot lighter and does not cramp me hand when in traffic. Ive also fitted a GIPRO X Type gear indicator, which once the installation was finished, has worked fine. A word of caution though for anyone wishing to undertake the same, there is VERY little room in the loom for splicing in the connectors, so only tug at the wires VERY carefully. Incidentally, took the bike to Donington Park beginning of October for a trackday. Went with the novice group, what a hoot, great fun, counldnt fault the bike

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Clutch mod FZ6 S2 2009/ GIPRO gear indicator
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2016, 11:00:35 pm »
Ive completed the clutch mod that involved making and fitting a longer lever at the case end, and it works a treat for me, meaning the clutch action is a lot lighter and does not cramp me hand when in traffic.

How much does this affect the distance the handlebar lever has to move?

I thought about getting this done ages ago, but I'd read some comments elsewhere that it means your left hand has to span a greater gap between fully out and fully in, so you need long fingers to get it to work properly.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2016, 12:18:04 pm »
No difference at all at the bar end, apart from being lighter to pull.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2016, 10:37:39 am »
I must be missing something here, If the pull is lighter, then the leverage applied must be over a longer distance which means the cable has to move more.

Either the mod does not fully disengage the clutch like before or the original setup disengaged the clutch with a massive gap meaning no bite until late in the travel on the way back out.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2016, 08:28:15 pm »
Correct. The leverage is slightly longer at the engine case end, due to the fixing point for the cable being further out from the pivot point than the original. There is no slip, therefore your second observation must be correct