Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:46 am

Author Topic: Clock Lighting  (Read 2454 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Clock Lighting
« on: 01 November 2016, 10:38:33 am »
I have a problem with my 1999 FZS600 clocks. The right hand side (Right of Rev Gauge and Petrol Gauge) goes off when the bike goes over 4k, this then comes back on about 6k. If i drop below 4k again it comes back on and when changing gears it goes of and back on.

Not sure if this is related to revs or if its just the vibration of the bike at these ranges, any ideas? I have tried wiggling various wires and no help. Weird that its only the right side and not the whole unit.

Do i need to remove fairing to get to clocks?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Clock Lighting
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2016, 11:29:34 am »
Sounds very much like a blown bulb with a dangling element that comes loose at those revs as those revs give the most vibes.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2016, 11:56:20 am »
How many bulbs are there, might be worth investing in new bulbs, does that require fairing removal?

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2016, 12:21:48 pm »
if you're taking it the clocks apart to change a bulb - may as well swap them for capless LEDs.
You can change colour if you want, but i didn't bother, just plain white and looks brighter and better than stock.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2016, 12:22:13 pm »
Yes there's a bit of dismantling to get at the instrument cluster, but nothing too challenging.
From memory there are about half a dozen, I bought a bag these.
The only tricky part is getting them the right way around. They give a better look than the old yellowish bulbs and are perhaps fractionally brighter, they seem to last OK as well.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2016, 12:36:31 pm »
Not too difficult to do, done it a few times now, trying different bulbs.

No need to remove the fairing, just the screen.  With that out you can unplug the wiring going into the back, and get the access you need to the 3x 10mm nuts holding the cluster to the frame.  With the cluster out, theres about 8 cross head screws to open it up.  There are 3 bulb holders that 1/4 turn to remove, then you just pull the bulb out and put the new one in.  I recommend that you plug the harness back in and test all the bulbs before you re-assemble anything.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2016, 08:09:54 pm »
Hi,

I have bought these ([size=78%]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360445836373?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/size])

Found the guide on the forum and will get this done over the weekend, looks like i should be capable even with my lack of skills.

Cheers guys.

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2016, 09:38:25 pm »
good effort... but yellow?!?!

post pics when it's done! can't believe there's "LED upgrade kits" for £20 on ebay, when this is all you need.

it's impossible to get wrong, apart from bulbs the wrong way round. Deffo test before re-assembly... I changed the fuel low light too... didn't do the indicator warning, can't remember why. Wish i'd done the high beam blue one as well, coz that's near invisible in daylight (when I've flicked the switch by accident thinking I've turned the choke off! :o)

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2016, 08:12:13 am »
Swapped mine for the LED type bulbs too. Easy to mistake that there are 4 panel bulbs and not 3.. I now have a very bright low fuel warning light  :D
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2016, 09:49:55 am »
I changed the fuel low light too... didn't do the indicator warning, can't remember why. Wish i'd done the high beam blue one as well, coz that's near invisible in daylight (when I've flicked the switch by accident thinking I've turned the choke off! :o )
I would do the indicator one if I was doing it as on a few occasions with my flip down dark visor I have missed that they were on.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2016, 12:10:36 pm »
Personally, I'd advise against doing the High beam one.   I did, due to the aforementioned comment of it being too dim during the day.

The problem is, when you actually use it when it's needed (i.e. it's dark), the LED light is so bright it's distracting.  I swapped back to the standard bulb.