Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:24 am

Author Topic: Emigrating to NZ  (Read 1779 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Emigrating to NZ
« on: 14 March 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
me & my lady are seriously looking to emigrate to New Zealand in about 18 months / 2 years time.

I know its along time off but i was after anyones advice, more about biking but other opinions welcomed
I have a 02 600 Fazer,
a) should I export it or try and find one out there?
b) are the roads suitable for it? or should I be looking for a different style of bike?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating to NZ
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
From What I've seen on TV a Fazer is ideal for their roads. They have progessed from single mud tracks now.

I would have a look at how much bikes are in NZ before making a decision. There has to be plenty of sites on the net.

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/UsedItemResults.aspx?Ne=1&N=4294967249+4294966488+0

With the current exchange rate it may cost more to export than it will to sell and buy one when you get there.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
I'm (slowly) wading my way through the application forms at the minute bud.
I got a quote for £800 to ship the bike over there and the inspection process (NZ MOT type test) isn't too bad.
Have a wee read of these and see what you think.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2012, 12:43:37 pm »
thanks for that. it doesnt look to bad to import it then, I know I only paid £1500 for mine n it's probably worth that I do love my bike n rather have it as to getting another out there!

at the moment we still in the stage of yes we want to go, there are a few things we got to sort out over next 12 months or so but its something that we had both thought of independantly
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

ianxreed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200GS, Suzuki DR650, FZ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2012, 01:09:38 pm »
Hey, I moved to NZ just over 2 years ago.  A friend (still in the UK) pointed me at this thread (the only reason I joined this forum) in case I could offer some advice.

800 (~1600NZD) GBP is about what you can expect to pay to get your bike over from GB.  As a new immigrant you can import one vehicle GST (VAT) free.  GST is currently 15%, and will be calculated on the specified market value of your bike on import.  You're allowed to sell your bike at any point once you're here, no restrictions, but be aware that you'll have to pay any outstanding GST at the point that you sell - if your bike is worth $6000 (3000 GBP) on import, you'll save $900 when you import it.  If you sell it after one year, you'll have to pay $450 outstanding GST.  If your sell it after 2 years, you'll have to pay zero GST.

What's it like to ride over here?  The roads are quite literally empty.  NZ is a population of 4 million, 3 million of which live in the North Island.  Even in the North Island, around the Wellington (Capital) region my friends and I can ride for a full day and see maybe 10 other vehicles.  No joke.  And the roads are generally good.

Having said that, once you get off the main drag there are many, many, gravel roads, especially if you want to reach the non-tourist (80%) coast lines, or enjoy most of the country's interior areas.

In the UK I had an FZ6 only.  Here I have a BMW R1200GS, a Suzuki DR650 (used almost exclusively for off-road - and getting there and back) and my imported FZ6.  The ability to ride off-road totally unrestricted is an opportunity not to be missed, as is the opportunity to ride so many gravel roads.

If you ride only a road bike in this country you're 80% wasting your time.  I've used my FZ6 once in 8 months.  Don't get me wrong the road riding is awesome here, infinitely better than the UK, but you'll see a tiny fraction of the NZ you could otherwise see if that's what you restrict yourselves to.

Bikes here, either new or used, cost a good deal more than in the UK, so if you do bring your bike you can easily sell it for more dollars than in the UK (bearing in mind the GST implications), and could easily recoup the import cost.  However it can be a pain in the arse to get the bike here in the first place.  I used James Cargo and that was not without significant problems.  I won't bad-mouth them because they came good in the end, but suffice to say it was more stressful than it needed to be.

Having gone through the process I'd whole-hearteadly say sell your bike before you come here.  Accept the higher cost of bike purchase here, and get a bike that can take you anywhere and everywhere.  You will not regret it, in fact it will be something you celebrate... ...daily.

If you really do want to discuss in detail, let me know.

Ian.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2012, 12:20:17 am »
Welcome to the fold Ian, and cheers for the input.
If Robbie doesn't take you up on the offer, I may just.
I got my letter from Glasgow City confirming my employment history with them, so as soon as I find my Uni academic transcripts that's me good to apply to the NZQA and the NZTC and become a registered teacher over there.
After that it's a case of applying for jobs and hopefully started with the new academic year in January/February...

Looking at Bay of Plenty as the best option for me I think, where about are you based bud?

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2012, 12:43:16 am »
Glasgow city council  jobs Twitter feed sent out a link to a NZ job agency this week, so I registered on the site  :rollin
They were advertising for Asphalt layers, not on Essential shortage Occupations list or what ever they call it on the NZ immigration site. :\

Currently working on seeing if I can get trained and certed as a Plasterer on ILA money, Coz Plasterers can get in apparently on temp work ticket, due to shortages on the Earthquake rebuilds.

Don't hold out much hope. but I'll take a punt at anything  :evil

ianxreed

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200GS, Suzuki DR650, FZ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2012, 11:48:29 am »
Yeah the application process can be a bit of a bind, and gathering up all the info to support your app can be a nightmare.  I had to go back through more than ten years worth of jobs trying to get in touch with old bosses that may or may not have still worked there, getting hold of old job descriptions, or getting them to write to INZ if they didn't.  Pain in the rear!

Was worth it in the end though!

I'm in Wellington, but it would be good to be based in the Bay of Plenty.  Beautiful place, and the weather's just fantastic up there.  Wellington's the best city in NZ though by far.  It has a similar kind of feel to it as Bristol does, and it reminds me of the place a lot.  Though there aren't any beggars on the street corners, and I haven't been asked to buy the Big Issue once in two years!  Bliss!

So anyway, good luck with your apps, and if there's anything I can do for anyone from over here just yell out and I'll do my best to help...