Date: 29-03-24  Time: 04:54 am

Author Topic: aberfan  (Read 1378 times)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
aberfan
« on: 20 October 2016, 07:12:38 pm »
such a sad disaster and the government (coal board),   gave them next to nothing,,       so sad.            looking at what we got today,     to what they had  then   we all live like kings.        rest in peace.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: aberfan
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2016, 09:27:55 pm »
I remember it as a kid and it was even more poignant since many who died were the same age as wife and I at the time.
I remember at the time the teacher getting us all to stand and have a minutes silence after a short prayer for all the families.
The following day he brought the local paper to the school and showed us the horrific pictures of the disaster.
After many visits to Wales over the years my wife and I finally managed to get to visit the Memorial in July this year.
Not the easiest place to find since it is poorly sign posted, but is well worth the visit.
A beautiful tribute to a totally avoidable disaster, it was spotlessly clean and so well maintained. It was sad walking through the garden remembering what happened and we sat for a few moment reflecting on the sadness and shear scale of the disaster
Such a shame the rest of the village is so run down, as it does not encourage any body to stop there. :(

May the families caught up in the disaster rest in peace and those who allowed it to happen rot in hell.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2016, 05:39:22 pm »
lovely pics,   you are correct anything north of Cardiff is under funded,       prob the conservatives in power in London trying to make welsh labour look shit.        fifty years doesn't time fly.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2016, 05:56:31 pm »
Which was why I was so surprised they voted out of the EU where they probably had a better chance of getting funding to help revamp the areas.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2016, 06:20:11 pm »
probabily right,    what I gather is all the eu money just seems to go on roads etc etc which suits me fine.        but they all seem to want jobs in there areas,        which aint going to happen  in wales to work  you need to travel.    that's my view.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2016, 12:21:22 am »
Interesting comment Taylor,  I had to move 200 miles from home to get work 40 years ago as did my wife.
My son moved to Wales to get work almost 3 years ago and returned home 2 weeks ago to a new job in Cork .  :)
I went to Wales to help him move all his stuff home and met a few of his very good Welsh friends. Over the course of the evening one of them said that my son was an inspiration to some of his friends because he moved to a different country where he knew nobody to seek work and had integrated well with those he met. He then said that this was the problem with many of the unemployed in the Valleys, they were not willing to move away from home to seek employment even though there was no employment in the Valleys.  :wall
Maybe it's a throw back to the mining community as everything was on the doorstep and they needed little else outside the mining area.

I like Wales and really like the areas around the valleys plus I feel a connection to the Valleys due to the Aberfan disaster.
When will the people there wake up to the fact that the work is not coming to them in the short term, they will have to move to get it and maybe it will change in the future with their help.
Riding through the towns and villages around Aberfan and Merthyr Tydfil, it felt like I was back in time to Cork 40 odd years ago when it lost a few major employers in the city. :(

There are many EU funded projects structural and otherwise in the valleys, which will dry up when Article 50 is triggered and I for one cannot see the powers that will be in London restoring the funded from within to continue the projects despite the comments by the chancellor on the 4th of October. :'(

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2016, 10:00:39 am »
Pat the Irish as a race be it North or South have always followed the work, we have had to , that is the difference. That is not meant to come across as a political statement it is just fact.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
saying that I am working with men from Merthyr, and aberfan at the moment,    so it is not everyone.        we had a minutes silence on the building site on Friday.     just before they all legged it to the pub,       they couldn't take there cars because of trackers lol.           I live in Cwmbran a modern town.          I don't know many people not working.       just a jammed motorway everyday.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2016, 06:15:10 pm »
Taylor

I did say many of them not all of them  :thumbup