Date: 25-04-24  Time: 22:09 pm

Author Topic: What exhaust ??  (Read 5467 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What exhaust ??
« on: 27 September 2016, 02:44:07 pm »
Hi guys , need some help with what zorst to buy for the thou , I'm planning on ivanising in the future with the full monty but don't want a race system as planning to do a bit of touring in the future and after having an art race can on my 600 which was way toooo loud and got on my nerves after a week I don't want another.
what I'm hoping is available is a can that is road legal , suitable for a full monty,not as quiet as standard , a nice sound that's not too loud and won't get on my tits on a 500 mile + ride, not as huge as the standard.
I know a lot of cans have a db killer but are they effective at killing dbs? I had a pipe werx on the 600 after the art can and although quieter it seemed the db killer didn't make much difference.
If you look on flea bay there seem to be a million different makes some named brands some unknown and I don't want to shell out £2-300 and it's too loud.
Im sort of taken with mivv gp or scorpion at the mo not sure how loud they'll be anyone know or recommend something
Thanks

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What exhaust ??
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2016, 03:00:55 pm »
The EXUP valve keeps the noise down a fair bit sub 6000 rpm with any can.

In general, assuming a 2" or 2.5" bore, the larger the cans volume the quieter it will be. A small can may look better but will be very noisy or more restrictive with the DB killer in, do a bit of research and listen to cans on youtube (the ones that have with and without DB fitted).

I run a Akrapovic full race on mine (2.5" bore) and it makes good power with full monty, passes the MOT without issue and doesn't annoy me on long rides, it also sounds great on the throttle at higher revs.

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2016, 04:45:09 pm »
I used to have a Quill T3 on my old Fazer 1000, but I am not sure whether JB Racing/Quill are as good as they used to be. The can tho was excellent and ran very well withthe Full Monty.

My current bike has a Delkelvic but I am not sure I would recommend it.

BW

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2016, 05:17:26 pm »
I'm happy with my Fuel stainless oval can. I don't find it too obnoxious with the baffle removed especially at low revs. There is a power difference of about 7BHP with the baffle removed (127 vs 134) and the fuelling is also better without it. So it's probably better to have a larger volume can which you can run with the baffle out than a smaller one that you have to restrict.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2016, 06:56:47 pm »
Thanks guys , it gives me a few more ideas I like the idea of the Akra but not sure I've got Akra money , I've done some you tubing and I'm leaning towards the scorpion it sounds ok with the killer in and not too noisy out unless I can find an Akra at reasonable money , I'm unsure about the delkevic as heard some not impressed stories.
im not in a great rush so if anyone else has experiences/knowledge of cans I'd appreciate the feedback

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2016, 08:18:30 pm »
I'm a Blue Flame disciple - got their oval, stainless, twin spout, road legal (but with removable baffles - 4 in/out options for various tones & loudness) cans and link pipes on our Fazer 1000, Fazer 600 and the Aprilia RSV Mille. Quality and durability on all of them is excellent - oldest is the RSV exhaust, which we bought in '05 (or '04) and which has done 20k miles, with a lot of track time.

The systems are quiet enough with baffles and caps in that they annoy no-one, but give a deeper tone. On all 3, we've now drilled a 12mm hole in the lower spout blanking cap, and run with the top baffle fully in place (they both come out or go in, in about 10 seconds each) - nice noise, but not too loud and never been picked up at MOT or at track noise tests.

We also think they look great (photos posted already here on other exhaust threads) and to cap it all off, the most expensive (most recent) one was I think about £170 direct from Blue Flame - oh and fitting's a doddle.

There's a few more Fazers on here with them and I've seen no bad feedback yet.

All in all, we can't fault them.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2016, 09:01:35 pm »
put a delkevic with removable baffle on my 1000 last week sounds nice with baffle in just a bit beefier than stock not taken baffle out yet..very reasonable price ,,not too dear

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 10:16:33 pm »
If you take the baffle out does it alter the fueling on a standard bike , and does it change how the bike makes power. I ask because on my old KTM supermototo with the baffle out with a akro on a tuned bike it lost a lot of mid range but gained it at the top, or does the EXUP help?

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2016, 10:49:27 pm »
I'll look into the blue flame and twin spout sounds interesting
Thanks

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2016, 05:26:16 am »
If you take the baffle out does it alter the fueling on a standard bike , and does it change how the bike makes power. I ask because on my old KTM supermototo with the baffle out with a akro on a tuned bike it lost a lot of mid range but gained it at the top, or does the EXUP help?

Fitting an aftermarket can to a Thou with stock jetting tends to alter the fueling, yes.  Because the main jets are a bit large as stock, you might gain a couple of bhp at the top end.  However, at part throttle it can make the already lean standard fueling even leaner.  Not lean enough to cause damage but you'd probably feel it. 

The shorter MotoGP-style cans tend to lose a bit of mid-range over the more traditional length cans but give slightly better peak power.  The EXUP helps with back pressure and scavenging in the low-mid range but running without the baffle usually will rob a bit lower down to give a bit more further up. 

Take a look at Fuel and MTC Exhausts.  Both makes are well-made and reasonably priced.   

Peasy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kawasaki ZX-6R Trackbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
I have a FUEL Oval Titanium on my full monty'd....

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2016, 05:47:08 pm »
Of the 2 you mention I'd go for the Mivv, not a clue as what either really sounds like but have seen both makes and the Mivv looks better quality.
Saying that, I'm happy with my Staintune

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2016, 05:56:21 pm »
Better pic

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2016, 07:25:01 pm »
I'm a Blue Flame disciple - got their oval, stainless, twin spout, road legal (but with removable baffles - 4 in/out options for various tones & loudness) cans and link pipes on our Fazer 1000, Fazer 600 and the Aprilia RSV Mille. Quality and durability on all of them is excellent - oldest is the RSV exhaust, which we bought in '05 (or '04) and which has done 20k miles, with a lot of track time.

The systems are quiet enough with baffles and caps in that they annoy no-one, but give a deeper tone. On all 3, we've now drilled a 12mm hole in the lower spout blanking cap, and run with the top baffle fully in place (they both come out or go in, in about 10 seconds each) - nice noise, but not too loud and never been picked up at MOT or at track noise tests.

We also think they look great (photos posted already here on other exhaust threads) and to cap it all off, the most expensive (most recent) one was I think about £170 direct from Blue Flame - oh and fitting's a doddle.

There's a few more Fazers on here with them and I've seen no bad feedback yet.

All in all, we can't fault them.

Can I ask which tracks these were and (if you can remember) what were the noise limits please?

I've just done a track day at Castle Combe (105db) and literally just scraped through. I'd prefer a slightly larger safety margin, in case there's a different tester next time, who is perhaps a little more rigid in his interpretation..

Been before with others who have passed the noise test and then gone back six months later with the same bike and failed?

Last time around I put the standard can back on to be safe, but now I've had it Full Monty'd that's not really an option.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2016, 08:31:27 pm »
Was once checked at Rockingham (or it might have been Donnington, did a few different tracks all around the same time), once at Mallory, both a few years back and lots of times at the Nurburgring (mostly the Aprilia, but the Fazer 1000 was checked on the only time it did any laps there).

Never had any comments or failures - seen plenty of bikes turned away at the Ring (Akra's mainly, but I think that's because they're so popular), but the Aprilia's always just been waved through even though it's not especially "quiet" 😀

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2016, 09:34:51 am »
Thanks Millietant for the info. I think maybe I'll invest in a Blue Flame to replace my current aged end can in due course.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 September 2016, 12:49:18 pm »
After previous post re blue flame , I've been trying to look them up online but no one seems to sell them  :'(
Not sure if they went bust but none on fleabay and there is a website but it all seems a bit vague , like no phone number only an address and no suppliers/ stockist details
Anyone know more ???
Akra been discontinued so it seems only used ones now and they're  like rocking horse doo doo .

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
this the the phone number and address for blue flame on their fb page but it hasnt  been updated since dec 2014
01695 733100
Unit 9 Mitton Mill
Mill Road
DY139BL
« Last Edit: 29 September 2016, 01:06:02 pm by ram »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2016, 01:57:54 pm »
Blue flame performance address on website I got is Hixon,staffs but also says phone number coming soon , they got email address only , don't know if that's same blue flame but it's only one I can get on Google
So unsure if they gone bust or not

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 September 2016, 10:00:04 pm »
Blue flame performance address on website I got is Hixon,staffs but also says phone number coming soon , they got email address only , don't know if that's same blue flame but it's only one I can get on Google
So unsure if they gone bust or not
its the same people. if you on the website, its got a facebook link which shows the address i posted

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 September 2016, 06:16:59 am »
MTC Exhausts do a twin-port oval can just like Blueflame's.  In fact, I recall MTC were started by guys who used to be in Blueflame's bike department.

B6_Dolphin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: What exhaust ?? Hindle from Canada
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2016, 04:43:08 am »
Don't know about shipping or import fees to the UK, but Hindle in Canada still offers a full 4-into-1 header, with the option for either a high- or low-exhaust mid-pipe.  The header and mid-pipe are stainless steel, and offered through their blow-out inventory sale for $299 USD for low-exit, and $319 USD for high-exit.

As for the silencer, the FZ1000 Mid-pipe takes a 2" diameter silencer, which Hindle offers in 14"/18"/20" lengths, and in either Stealth or Supersport packing.

As for the sound, I chose a Stealth 18" can, and had the header & mid-pipe ceramic-coated black.

I used Ivan's MB Full Header Jet Kit and a BMC Filter with this exhaust.  :evil

Low mid-pipe (prior to cermaic coating):

Silencer:

Sound clip (click for video):

« Last Edit: 01 October 2016, 07:03:27 pm by B6_Dolphin »

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2016, 02:44:45 pm »
Sounds good , I noticed that it looks like it's not got a baffle in it ( db killer ) does it come with one or is it a race can ?

B6_Dolphin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2016, 07:02:26 pm »
Sounds good , I noticed that it looks like it's not got a baffle in it ( db killer ) does it come with one or is it a race can ?

Neither the Stealth or the Supersport use db killers.  Both canister designs are straight-through, however, the Stealth has more internal baffling.

Since you can pair any of the current canister options with the mid-pipe, if you wanted to pick the quietest configuration, it would most likely be the Evolution in Stealth.

I've been riding with the Stealth canister for 4 years on my '05 FZ1, and while it doesn't objectionally drone during highway cruising (usually around 4-5k rpm), throttling it to pass a cager let's them know you're there.