Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:32 am

Author Topic: Clutch slip  (Read 2552 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Clutch slip
« on: 26 September 2016, 08:24:51 am »
Never encountered this in a fazer (boxeye) before, and had 4 of them doing well over 100k on em.

When the engines cold the clutch slips at 4k, but gets less and less as the engine oil warms up until there's no slip at all. I've only had the bike a couple of months, but done the basics like adjusting the cable so there's some slack on it.
Gonna change the oil this week, but don't  think it's that.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Clutch slip
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2016, 08:35:24 am »
Sounds like oil to me. OK when warm as the oil is thinner.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2016, 10:04:12 am »
It's got to be heat related and the most obvious thing is the oil. Sounds like it's completely the wrong grade to me.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2016, 11:09:06 am »
with the others on this

BTW, nice to have you back.....was only thinking the other day WTF has happened to Stevie :)
fire never sleeps

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2016, 11:30:47 am »

Mine does the same regardless of oil brand. The clutch springs as standard are adequate, but as they age the free length reduces until they don't quite supply the pressure needed when the oil's cool and has higher viscosity.
The other factor is wear and contamination of the clutch plates. If oil with friction modifiers has been used you might as well change the friction plates and springs, otherwise just change the springs.
Don't be tempted to buy aftermarket springs: they're invariably heavy duty, turn the nice light clutch action into absolute misery in town and overstress the pressure plate and actuator.
If it's the first time the clutch cover has come off you'll need a new gasket, but if you grease one side of the new one (not with moly grease!), you'll be able to take the cover off in future without wrecking the gasket.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2016, 07:31:36 pm »
I'll second the above in relation to the clutch springs. Buying heavier duty springs is the wrong way to go in my opinion - I had a set of EBC ones and they were just impossible to use and I ended up with the original ones I took out

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2016, 09:15:29 am »
Well I changed the oil and filter, and to be honest it really needed it! What came out was pretty minging!!!

As for the clutch slip? Well I went for a 30 mile ride, and it was a little better, but still slipped though. Looks like it'll be a set of springs next, it's all trial and error!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2016, 09:31:04 am »
Possibly clutch plates contaminated. Might as well change the plates and springs now.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2016, 11:44:54 am »
Change the friction plates and springs, use OEM springs. Check the thickness of the steel plates to ensure they are ok. If there is any blueing on them change them also.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2016, 05:36:54 pm »
I would inspect the plates for wear and if they are with in the limits I would clean them with brake and clutch cleaner and a light rub over if fine emery paper. I will wait to hear what others think to this.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2016, 01:19:53 pm »
Just swapped out the clutch springs for a set of 10% uprated ones, and the lever pressure is noticeably stiffer!!! Not so bad for me with my big navvys hands, but it does take away that smooth easy movement of the Fazer clutch.

So the result is, it still slips slightly, but only when you go WOT when the oils not warm. It feels like a step in the power delivery more than anything else! So I'll have to get some new plates later on, she's still useable for my work run for now. Cheers guys!