Date: 20-04-24  Time: 02:36 am

Author Topic: Finding Switched Power For TomTom Rider Installation  (Read 1655 times)

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Finding Switched Power For TomTom Rider Installation
« on: 01 September 2016, 10:00:37 am »
I've just splashed out a ridiculous amount of cash for a TomTom Rider (you would have thought TomTom would have spent a few quid on updating it's ancient interface by now!). It comes with a Ram Mount and power connections.

I've hunted through YouTube, but drawn a blank so I'd like to know the best place to take a switched positive so that the GPS is only powered when then ignition is on? This is for a 2007 FZ6 S2 (SA), by the way.

I have the Haynes service manual if you want to refer to that, but I'd appreciate some detailed instructions and a picture if possible so that I know I'm looking at the correct connection.

Cheers, Rob.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Finding Switched Power For TomTom Rider Installation
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2016, 06:22:55 pm »
Mine is wired straight on batt terminals. The tomtom is fused inside the mount so no need inline. The mount is designed to have constant power.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2016, 06:24:37 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Switched Power For TomTom Rider Installation
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2016, 09:49:51 pm »
As the TomTom has a no-power sleep mode, I'd prefer to make use of it to automatically shut the thing down. I really don't want it draining the battery when the engine isn't going.

I've been doing some running repairs tonight. Had the valve clearences done recently, and they managed to disconnect my Scott Oiler :(

Anyway, I had a hunt around and there's a very easy spot to take the positive from on the S2. The right-hand side-light has a connector just underneath the faring, and it's easy to access. The positive wire is Blue/Red on the S2 (and some other models) and only comes on with the ignition.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2016, 06:07:06 pm »
rear brake light switch is where I have wired my heated grips to. Nice and easy to access as well compared to anywhere near the fuse box.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2016, 08:29:33 pm »
I wired mine through a relay with the switched terminal going to the rear light then there is no increased load on the thin wires to the light 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2016, 02:00:20 pm »
Dave/BBrown - can you send me a pic or something showing where the connection to the break light is please?

Cheers.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2016, 03:11:41 pm »
This video shows how to replace the rear brake light switch on a Trumpet but the FZ6 is basically the same.
This will show you where the switch is and therefore where you can find the cable.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2016, 08:49:35 am »
Thanks BBrown, I'll take a look on my bike when I get a chance :)