Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:21 pm

Author Topic: North Coast 500 on my Fazer 8 soon.........  (Read 5079 times)

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
North Coast 500 on my Fazer 8 soon.........
« on: 07 August 2016, 09:58:56 am »
Well my fellow Fazer fans, in September I will embark on my road trip of my life time.  I am doing the NC500.

Departing Lincolnshire I will be travelling 340 miles on day 1 to the first camp site near Loch Lomond.  Day 2 from there to Applecross.  Day 3 to Sangomore at the top and day 4 down to Loch Lomond again.  Final day back down to Lincolnshire. 1568 miles in total.  It's always been a plan of mine to ride in the Highlands so I thought I might aswell do the NC500 and get the T-Shirt and mug.

All campsites are just arrive and pitch (no pre-booking) and all look to have great amenities.  I intend to cook boil in the bag rations with the odd fish and chips and some ale of an evening (just one mind :D ) and I am taking a small camping cooker, small tent, airbed and sleeping bag.  I have fitted a USB and 12v charger to my Fazer as well as a case for my phone/satnav.  Oil and filter changed, bike ready to go.

I am doing it on my own because none of my mates could stomach the mileage or the camping but I love it.  Any other Fazer riders fancy joining me?  Road trip of a life time.

Has any one here done this trip and do you have any tips?
[/size]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3185226/Scotland-s-answer-America-s-Route-66-named-six-coastal-road-trips-world.html

Trickie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Re: North Coast 500 on my Fazer 8 soon.........
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2016, 07:50:28 am »
Have a good trip. Looks a good route.  Would join you but can it be possible to get 3 days together with NO RAIN in SCOTLAND? Only like the dry. Sad I know.

R.

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2016, 06:22:53 pm »
Have a good trip. Looks a good route.  Would join you but can it be possible to get 3 days together with NO RAIN in SCOTLAND? Only like the dry. Sad I know.

R.

I know what you mean.  Don't really like rain too much either.  But September is usually the drier of the months.  But this is a bucket list thing for me so I will do it but not if the forecast is bad.  Only if high pressure coming in.
Cheers
Andy

Trickie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2016, 10:21:00 am »
Let me know nearer the time you are going , might come along.

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2016, 05:31:00 pm »

For the whole road trip Trickie?  Where are you located?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2016, 10:23:06 pm »
I might do this next summer + Skye, and take my time. I'll be retired  :)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2016, 10:51:29 pm »
Looks like a good plan. If not already done so you might like to have a look at this web site http://www.scottishcamping.com/ . It has a map on it that shows loads of campsite in the highlands and they also sell a paper map with them shown for people like me that get bye without the internet on my travels. You might find you don't cover as many miles in a day as you had planned, for all sorts of reasons, so it could be handy to know where other camp sites are located.
I wonder what the midges are like in September, maybe someone can tell us. I know the little devils can spoil a good camp.  :'(

Edit:- Just noticed this is posted in the Fazer8/FZ8 section. Might have got more exposure in the Events & ride out section.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2016, 08:23:28 am by limax2 »

Trickie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

For the whole road trip Trickie?  Where are you located?

Walkeringham (Nr Gainsborough)

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2016, 08:58:55 pm »
Not far Trickie. On my way too.  ;)

Megawatt

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2016, 10:12:40 pm »
I'll be on a tour of Scotland in September, but I'll have my van and caravan with me, as well as my Fazer 1000.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2016, 10:44:11 am »
Done this in May, was not bad a tad chilly but majority was dry. If you can do it without setting dates it helps as you can as mentioned plan a decent weekend. Even if you come up and it is pissing down then have a look at some of the bunkhouse accomodation as its pretty decent, wigwams are good too www.wigwamholidays.com or this bunkhouse http://www.invershin.com/ is good too, cheap and really friendly.

I am in Scotland and may come out for a run with you for part of a day, let me know when your coming.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2016, 06:20:51 pm »
Done this in May, was not bad a tad chilly but majority was dry. If you can do it without setting dates it helps as you can as mentioned plan a decent weekend. Even if you come up and it is pissing down then have a look at some of the bunkhouse accomodation as its pretty decent, wigwams are good too www.wigwamholidays.com or this bunkhouse http://www.invershin.com/ is good too, cheap and really friendly.

I am in Scotland and may come out for a run with you for part of a day, let me know when your coming.

I have a 3 week window in September to choose from depending on the weather forecasts.  And I'll be camping coz I like camping and it keeps the costs down.
Cheers
Andy

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2016, 09:02:58 pm »
So did you go ?. how was it ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Andy_J

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - sp1, fireblade, r6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2016, 10:56:57 pm »
So did you go ?. how was it ?
Nope.  Weather was too severe for that period.  But managed a 4 day Tour of Wales instead.