Date: 25-04-24  Time: 00:14 am

Author Topic: Carole Cash!  (Read 6988 times)

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Carole Cash!
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2016, 09:24:14 pm »
[size=0pt]Sounds like Carol Cash are as bad as Deshitt.  When I passed my test last year and sold the 125, I had a look around the price comparison websites to see how much a new policy would be on a Fazer.  Rang my insurer Devitt (badged as RAC) and the cost to change the policy for the remaining 2 months (After the usual admin scam) was only slightly less than a new policy.  I’d already sold the YBR at this point so didn’t need to keep the policy.[/size]
[size=0pt]Anyway, when I bought the Fazer I told them I wanted to cancel the YBR policy and I would renew elsewhere – all done and dusted (or so I thought). Then I get an email asking for £61.35 extra due to “cancellation fee and additional premium for time on cover”, with the usual threat of debt collection if not paid.  I rang up for clarification and the reason given for the increased premium was that I'd paid for a 12 month policy but as I’d cancelled early I wasn't using it for the full 12 month term, so they had the right to charge more money.  Theory is that because it is a shorter term-policy, it would  be more expensive (if I’d taken it out for 10 months rather than 12). I asked if they would just reinstate the policy and I’d see it out, but the adviser said that even if I hadn't told them I'd already sold the bike "DVSA would have notified them anyway” so they would still have come to me for more money. [/size]
[size=0pt]Try working that out with a logical brain: you end your policy early, you haven't claimed, and yet they ask for more money! Taking shorter term insurance might mean you are a riskier prospect when your details are fed through a computer, but in the real world when you've already 100% sold the bike there is 0% chance of having an accident! I didn't expect a premium rebate from the thieving barstewards, but to be told to pay more really p*ssed me off.[/size]
[size=0pt]In the end I managed to get them to waive the administration fee because unbeknownst to me my new policy was also underwritten by Devitt (so they classed it as if I hadn't left) but I still had to pay extra to them.   It’s criminal.  [/size]
[size=0pt]Needless to say that at renewal time this year I went with a different company, though they are no doubt just as crooked!  [/size]
[size=0pt]It’s not just motor insurance it’s across the board in the industry.  I work in travel and travel insurers will happily see someone die in a hospital waiting room whilst they drag their heels over what’s covered.  [/size]

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 August 2016, 03:41:31 am »
[size=0pt]Sounds like Carol Cash are as bad as Deshitt.  When I passed my test last year and sold the 125, I had a look around the price comparison websites to see how much a new policy would be on a Fazer.  Rang my insurer Devitt (badged as RAC) and the cost to change the policy for the remaining 2 months (After the usual admin scam) was only slightly less than a new policy.  I’d already sold the YBR at this point so didn’t need to keep the policy.[/size]
[size=0pt]Anyway, when I bought the Fazer I told them I wanted to cancel the YBR policy and I would renew elsewhere – all done and dusted (or so I thought). Then I get an email asking for £61.35 extra due to “cancellation fee and additional premium for time on cover”, with the usual threat of debt collection if not paid.  I rang up for clarification and the reason given for the increased premium was that I'd paid for a 12 month policy but as I’d cancelled early I wasn't using it for the full 12 month term, so they had the right to charge more money.  Theory is that because it is a shorter term-policy, it would  be more expensive (if I’d taken it out for 10 months rather than 12). I asked if they would just reinstate the policy and I’d see it out, but the adviser said that even if I hadn't told them I'd already sold the bike "DVSA would have notified them anyway” so they would still have come to me for more money. [/size]
[size=0pt]Try working that out with a logical brain: you end your policy early, you haven't claimed, and yet they ask for more money! Taking shorter term insurance might mean you are a riskier prospect when your details are fed through a computer, but in the real world when you've already 100% sold the bike there is 0% chance of having an accident! I didn't expect a premium rebate from the thieving barstewards, but to be told to pay more really p*ssed me off.[/size]
[size=0pt]In the end I managed to get them to waive the administration fee because unbeknownst to me my new policy was also underwritten by Devitt (so they classed it as if I hadn't left) but I still had to pay extra to them.   It’s criminal.  [/size]
[size=0pt]Needless to say that at renewal time this year I went with a different company, though they are no doubt just as crooked!  [/size]
[size=0pt]It’s not just motor insurance it’s across the board in the industry.  I work in travel and travel insurers will happily see someone die in a hospital waiting room whilst they drag their heels over what’s covered.  [/size]

It defies all normal logic!
Seeing how insurance is compulsory its about time customers stood up to these robber barons & the whole industry came under official scrutiny.
Now it is easy to list examples of poor treatment -unfortunately many of us have been fleeced one way or another by insurers-so how about a mention for any companies that have treated us in a fair manner(if any such exist!)?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 August 2016, 09:08:14 am »

It defies all normal logic!
Seeing how insurance is compulsory its about time customers stood up to these robber barons & the whole industry came under official scrutiny.
Now it is easy to list examples of poor treatment -unfortunately many of us have been fleeced one way or another by insurers-so how about a mention for any companies that have treated us in a fair manner(if any such exist!)?
I've had too many run ins with insurance companies over the years, this is one thing I think the government could help with, similar to Australia have a ctp (compulsory third party) insurance included when you tax the vehicle every year,  insurance companies make so much money the government profit could be put into the roads, if any one wants a fire and theft or compulsory policy they can then go to the private companies and pay extra for this!
Some say...

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 August 2016, 09:55:13 am »
I've had too many run ins with insurance companies over the years, this is one thing I think the government could help with, similar to Australia have a ctp (compulsory third party) insurance included when you tax the vehicle every year,  insurance companies make so much money the government profit could be put into the roads, if any one wants a fire and theft or compulsory policy they can then go to the private companies and pay extra for this!

This is the way I'd like to see it done as well.  Fewer uninsured driver problems, and insurance working for your benefit rather than for their profits. The way it would probably work over here though is that you'd end up paying a fee to the government, then the private insurers would still charge the same amount that they do now for fire and theft/comprehensive cover.

I've gone fully comprehensive this time, but you really have to think about the maths. I paid £1150.00 for the Fazer and it's been well looked after with loads of pictures and documents, but I know that if Ineed to claim they will only give me £600.00.  Maybe increase to £700.00 if I kick off about it (people on here probably have experience of this) and spend months arguing.  My excess this year is only £100.00 compared to previous years, so I'd be looking at £5-600 to buy a new bike with.  If you've paid £100.00 more for a fully comprehensive policy over 3rd party, then you've lost another £100.00 (increases by £100.00 for every year you don't claim).  If you do claim, you're likely to see an increase of 25% on your premium the following year from what I can tell, which -coupled with the excess- means you'd only really want to claim for significant damage (you'd repair anything less yourself) .  You see more and more on forums nowadays that insurers aren't interested in repairing bikes, it's far easier to write it off and sell it on - the market for CAT C and D bikes is strong.  And as I understand it: if you have an accident and they decide to write if off, the bike becomes the property of the insurer if you're fully comp.  Whereas if you're only 3rd party, you can keep the bike and repair it yourself.

Because my premium (and excess) has come down quite a lot as I've got older, being fully comprehensive makes more sense. But as a newer or younger rider with higher policies and higher excesses on a lower-value bike/car (my excess in my first year's riding would have been £800.00!), you'd really only need to have one year of accident-free riding on a 3rd party policy to put you on a position where you'd be better off than you would be if you were fully comp (with my old Golf, I only ever paid 3rd party for that reason, and after one year claim free you're winning the game).  Of course, the robbing swines know this, and hence why nowadays you often pay more for 3rd party insurance than fully comp (as a new rider).

« Last Edit: 10 August 2016, 09:56:10 am by Adam2201 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2016, 11:06:33 am »
Yes the TP insurance in with the tax is a very good idea. We already pay tax on insurance which is creeping up and up.
My bike insurance last year was £78 fully comp incl the tax but that is with a £250 excess but to get the excess down I would have to be paying a lot more.

Its woth messing around with the voluntary l excess because they may start you at £250 (voluntary) in a quote but getting it down to £100 may cost less than £20 extra premium. BUT then watch out for the compulsory going up to compensate. 
Just done the car and gone through the dance, did some compare sites and found the cheapest but it defaulted at £200 excess and £0 compulsory but my old one I had £100 compulsory and £0 vol. So I put the
£200 vol down to £0 but that then put the compul up to £75 and increased the cover price by £60
Then I put the vol to £100 and then got a £0 compul and it was only £20 extra for the cover.
Something like that because to be honest I spent far too much of my riding time playing the stupid quote game. 

Just counted and I have got 19 emails that have been sent to me confirming quotes  :eek although I was also doing some seperate ones for my daughter.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2016, 11:19:03 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 August 2016, 03:10:39 pm »
If I'm doing numerous quotes just to get an idea I put a fake email address down as I don't want all those emails !
Some say...

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2016, 04:44:08 pm »
Well the renewal notice arrived from Carole CashCow-Basically they want to UP the premium by £100 and the excess by £200. Really they are saying "F**K OFF we dont want you-weve taken your premiums for the last x years so go away now :eek  (My NCD is at maximum & I havent had any claims/losses).

So started to look at the price comparison websites-what a fiasco-trying to get "like for like" comparisons-every one of them quotes a "cheap" basic then loads all the extras as add-ons.
Phoned LV ( Their blurb says 10% of new customers only pay £199!) Quoted me £400 plus-I said its only a Fiat Panda not a Lamborghini and I am not exactly driving like "The Stig". I ended call.
Tried Direct Line who want roughly what I paid last year for less cover. Website asked did I want a Telematics Box- for a possible £7-50 a quarter refund-no thanks!
Had enough this week I am off to Wales for the weekend-dont have to renew til 23rd so have still got a few others to contact but be warned-it looks like they are the real scammers now. Time for Government intervention in this morally questionable industry.

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2016, 06:48:40 pm »
This week I had to get quotes for the first car I've owned in twenty years (company cars etc), did the usual comparison sites and got some reasonable quotes, then tried Direct Line and they were cheaper than the cheapest deal on the compare sites, plus the policy didn't change even when I put the voluntary excess to zero, had to phone them to clarify my no claims (as it was just a letter from my employer) and they were very easy to deal with, even reducing my premium without asking as I had ticked an irrelevant box.

Told me on the phone that they don't charge if the policy is ended early, they just give a pro rata refund. So far I would recommend giving them a go.....but they don't do bike insurance so probably irrelevant  :D

Jonesy