Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:42 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 258128 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #800 on: 30 September 2012, 01:47:23 pm »
morning all.........swaped the carbs this morning  :D  checked diaphrams,sliders and jets,all good with standard size jets  :)
started the old girl up and...................no change :\ [size=78%]................stutter at 6000 rpm just like hitting a rev limited [/size] :\ :\ :\
going to check the valve clearances when the engines cooled down,probs this evening and then
....................................................................dont know  :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes ........might go with ADE THE BLADE idea and go up a size on the jets.....but dont understand why this would work  :\ :\ ........................
 its very sudden when it hits the stutter almost like throwing a switch.........so iam thinking electrics ;) ive swoped ecu,coils,and tps and am now thinking.............REGULATOR/RECTIFIER............your thoughts please peoples :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 30 September 2012, 04:24:26 pm »
...am now thinking.............REGULATOR/RECTIFIER............your thoughts please peoples :)
It's a possibility, a voltmeter across the battery terminals should indicate whether there's a problem there. I'm sure you'd have noticed low battery if the rectifier wasn't doing it's bit, if the regulator side had failed then the voltage could rise: maybe high enough to upset the CDI unit, but usually a high supply voltage just tends to kill things like that. And you might have noticed lights getting very much brighter as the revs got higher. So, have to say it's unlikely.
Did you try the suggested plug chop after holding it at max revs for a while? That should indicate if it's a mixture problem.
Otherwise, try a timing light... that might give some clues.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 01 October 2012, 09:58:10 am »
Disappointing.

Can u find a fellow FZS owner who can leave his bike with you for 24 hours while you swap over all electrical parts until you find the culprit? Would save you spending another small fortune replacing the wrong parts.

Beers usually do the job

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 01 October 2012, 10:14:08 am »
Disappointing.

Can u find a fellow FZS owner who can leave his bike with you for 24 hours while you swap over all electrical parts until you find the culprit? Would save you spending another small fortune replacing the wrong parts.

Beers usually do the job

that would be nice KEBAB......not spent too much upto now...ecu and carbs i can sell on  :D  £30 on head gasket and same on air filter :\  everything else service items  :D
 going to check the valve clerences next and probs re-fit the origanal carbs with larger jets,(YOU STILL WATCHING ADE THE BLADE)also re-check everything i`ve done so far  ;)
 after that i might have a word with the guys at pdq in taplow  ;)

10,000 views today  :eek :eek :eek  ...so time for me to thank all you watchers and posters who have helped me out and at times kept me going............CHEERS FOCCERS  :D :D :D :D :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 01 October 2012, 11:28:26 am »
red. sorry to here it didnt do the fix?....i will take off my fuel relay and post it to you if you want?...mabe yours faulty ??...not giving it the fuel it needs at higher rpm,s...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 01 October 2012, 11:40:56 am »
hi crh  :D ......yeh ahame it did`nt fix it :\ ......nice offer of the relay :D  but i could`nt take advantage of you like that........as iam not welsh,.....boyo  :rollin :rollin ...........might try ades suggestion and change jets,going to find his old post and see what he used.....relay sounds plauseable aswell  ;) .......need to tidy the garage and fit a new roof in readyness to get my classic bmw back in there before the bad weather comes so might have to put it on hold for a little while :\ .....got a weeks holiday left so might take it before the end of the month and have a good old sort out/tidy up  :D  .......thanks for you help with the carbs,thats a big favour iou  :D .......que ade  :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 01 October 2012, 11:47:39 am »
hes been very quiet hasn,t he?...ya dont think hes been abducted by a fellow queen on one of his satday nights out do you>>> :b

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 01 October 2012, 11:52:18 am »
ps, whats bothering me is? why you cant pull a decent vacume?....paul recons you should be able to acheave between 200-240 easily?? :rolleyes

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: 01 October 2012, 12:02:24 pm »
afternoon....early lunch today (mid top end stripdown ) . Red mate, jets are now 2 sizes up ( stock 115 now 120). tend to just read posts now
rather than comment, especially after that cctv farce with poor old Clive. possibly getting too cliquey for my liking ( been on other forums that have gone that way. pity really :rolleyes ) keep at it matey....rest assured, i`m watching from afar from time to time ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 01 October 2012, 12:13:26 pm »
afternoon....early lunch today (mid top end stripdown ) . Red mate, jets are now 2 sizes up ( stock 115 now 120). tend to just read posts now
rather than comment, especially after that cctv farce with poor old Clive. possibly getting too cliquey for my liking ( been on other forums that have gone that way. pity really :rolleyes ) keep at it matey....rest assured, i`m watching from afar from time to time ;)

hi ade....good to see your still with us  :D .....yeh getting very nasty that cctv post  :eek  all quite now  ;)
 was going to pm you regarding jet sizes  :D  so good timing....think i`ll put origanal carbs back on with the bigger jets and see what happens....if it works..........................................i think clive might be paying you a visit :D .............did you keep the wifes fazer or move it on  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: 02 October 2012, 08:59:42 pm »
working in leicester today so popped into yamaha dealer while i was up there ;) ,was going to buy 4x120 jets,2 sizes bigger ;) .......helpful chap behind the counter asked why so i went through the whole story :\ :\ :\ :\ .....told me i was wasting my time but agreed on what i had already checked and said he would have gone down the same road :D
 asked if i had tested crank position sensor but i could`nt remember if i had or not :o :o  and then he mentioned fuel pump and relay :D  which CRH has also just mentioned,rocker covers off at the moment so i can check the valve clearences just to make sure they are correct now that i have fitted new shims ;)  then i`ll bypass the fuel filter and pump and see what happens  :D
  i advised someone on here a few weeks back to try this but it did`nt occur to me at the time to try it on mine  :o :o :o

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 03 October 2012, 08:51:37 am »
offer still there mate if you want to try it?....not using mine at the mo so you welcome to try it?...been looking for a link between yours and ades ?.....did you say you changed your headers??, cus ade as stainless on his hasn,t he?....some aftermarket headers are a diff bore internally ?..and can make your engine run very weak causing top end fuel starvation!! :rolleyes .....and as ade said he never did find out why he had to re-jet??....whats been throwing me is the fact you only changed ,your filter and headers .....then the stutter>,,,,,worth a thought mabe?...cus if it is that you now need bigger jets and that solves the problem?,...thats the ...only....link between yours and his.....HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 03 October 2012, 09:40:56 am »
hi matey.......yes been thinking about the headers  ;)  it is a big stutter :\  and i think to big for the headers alone to cause it....ive welded the origanals up and can refit to see  :) ....thanks for the offer of the loan :D ,i`ll bypass both the pump and filter at the weekend and see what happens......as for the jets ,this is what the dealer in leicester was getting at....there is no reason to change them,its worked on ades but we dont know why :\ ....mines standard,as you know,with exception of stainless headers and k+n filter,which should not need a re-jet  :\ ......once again thanks for your input :D :D :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: 03 October 2012, 10:49:52 am »
The stainless headers that  red has came from my bike which ran fine when it had them. At the time it was running a standard air filter and standard end can as well - so practically an identical setup to red

Unfortunately I don't know what make / brand they are as they came with the bike - I'll have a rummage in the old paper work and see if the previous owner kept the receipt but I don't think so :(

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 03 October 2012, 03:42:05 pm »
The stainless headers that  red has came from my bike which ran fine when it had them. At the time it was running a standard air filter and standard end can as well - so practically an identical setup to red

Unfortunately I don't know what make / brand they are as they came with the bike - I'll have a rummage in the old paper work and see if the previous owner kept the receipt but I don't think so :(

thanks for that DEADEYE  :D  iam fairly certain its not the headers thats causing the stutter ;)  see what happens at the weekend when i by-pass the filter and pump :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 04 October 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
think the only diff that ade had was a aftermarket end can?....dont know when he fitted his headers though,ie, before his trouble or after?...but he never did find out why he had to re-jet? did he?......see how you get on red?  i now know of someone with a spare fuel relay if it is that at fault?...and will let you have it cheap!!
« Last Edit: 04 October 2012, 08:52:46 pm by CRH »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 05 October 2012, 06:44:06 am »
think the only diff that ade had was a aftermarket end can?....dont know when he fitted his headers though,ie, before his trouble or after?...but he never did find out why he had to re-jet? did he?......see how you get on red?  i now know of someone with a spare fuel relay if it is that at fault?...and will let you have it cheap!!

hi crh.........be out in the garage this weekend :D ...now the weathers changed iam not to keen to get out there  :( not used the thou for a couple of weeks now  :\ :\ :\ :\ .....i will however by-pass the pump and also check the valve clearences...i`ll let you know what happens......i also need to re-roof the garage before the weather gets really bad,so a big clear up this weekend  :) :) .....ill let you know about the relay,cheers mate  :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 07 October 2012, 11:00:02 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o senior moment :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

just checked the valve clearences again,not checked since i adjusted them a few weeks ago ;) gaps are way too small :eek so look back through my notes and i can see where i went wrong :b exhaust clearences were too small,so i replaced the shim with the next size UP  :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek ....SHOULD HAVE GONE DOWN  :o :o :o :o

[size=78%]the phrase dumb ass springs to mind[/size] :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes ....i took [size=78%] note of the shims i fitted so easy to change but i will check the clearences again this afternoon just to make sure[/size]

[size=78%]not done that before.......must be my age [/size] ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 07 October 2012, 07:06:49 pm »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o senior moment :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

just checked the valve clearences again,not checked since i adjusted them a few weeks ago ;) gaps are way too small :eek so look back through my notes and i can see where i went wrong :b exhaust clearences were too small,so i replaced the shim with the next size UP  :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek ....SHOULD HAVE GONE DOWN  :o :o :o :o

[size=78%]the phrase dumb ass springs to mind[/size] :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes ....i took [size=78%] note of the shims i fitted so easy to change but i will check the clearences again this afternoon just to make sure[/size]

[size=78%]not done that before.......must be my age [/size] ;)
....fkn knew it?..i was right you did get your date a birth wrong!!! :rolleyes :rolleyes ...you are fkn 60!!!!!...why you didnt let atb sort it out for you i dont know?.... :b ... he,d do owt for a pair of your other halfs stockings? ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 09 October 2012, 09:31:56 am »
hi, matey!...did you get it sorted then?....you dont think it was a touch of alzimers do you? :lol :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 09 October 2012, 02:46:30 pm »
hi, matey!...did you get it sorted then?....you dont think it was a touch of alzimers do you? :lol :lol :lol :lol

you could be right crh  ;) ....early stages parhaps  :eek ........need to sit down and work out what shims i need,probs do that later today and order the correct shims tonight (wemoto)  :D ...........you made any progress with your thou  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: 09 October 2012, 02:59:42 pm »

you could be right crh  ;) ....early stages parhaps  :eek ........need to sit down and work out what shims i need,probs do that later today and order the correct shims tonight (wemoto)  ;) ;) :D ...........you made any progress with your thou  :)
..no mate done nothing to it since we last spoke?...have had a offer of a 1976 honda 750 four as a swap though?....with a spare bike to go with it in bits?....very,very, tempted!!!!!!!!!! ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 09 October 2012, 03:22:35 pm »

you could be right crh  ;) ....early stages parhaps  :eek ........need to sit down and work out what shims i need,probs do that later today and order the correct shims tonight (wemoto)  ;) ;) :D ...........you made any progress with your thou  :)
..no mate done nothing to it since we last spoke?...have had a offer of a 1976 honda 750 four as a swap though?....with a spare bike to go with it in bits?....very,very, tempted!!!!!!!!!! ;)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D ....getting very collectable the  750s ;) .....is it up and running  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 09 October 2012, 07:31:20 pm »
yes it runs, sounds sweet as a nut"...according to fella thats selling it?...ive yet to hear/see it?...all i know is?,its original paintwork, gold and black", 4 into 4 original pipes",and get this?,..the mileage he says he can prove!!..is only......14000.. :eek .....and the one for spares is all there apart from tyres!!..also a good runner""....to be quite honest ive never been happy with the sound of the thous engine?..ive heard 2 others and they no where as noisy as mine and they both had higher mileage??....ime viewing it friday night so will let you know what i decide? ;) ....he also tells me he has a 750 norton commando fastback but not for sale!!!!....dammmmmmmmmm :\

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 10 October 2012, 06:49:36 am »
yes it runs, sounds sweet as a nut"...according to fella thats selling it?...ive yet to hear/see it?...all i know is?,its original paintwork, gold and black", 4 into 4 original pipes",and get this?,..the mileage he says he can prove!!..is only......14000.. :eek .....and the one for spares is all there apart from tyres!!..also a good runner""....to be quite honest ive never been happy with the sound of the thous engine?..ive heard 2 others and they no where as noisy as mine and they both had higher mileage??....ime viewing it friday night so will let you know what i decide? ;) ....he also tells me he has a 750 norton commando fastback but not for sale!!!!....dammmmmmmmmm :\

the 750s sound very good  :D ...if that mileage is correct the pipes will probs be origanal honda,very rare , expensive and look great  :D [size=78%]......iam on my way with trailer and a wad of cash [/size] ;) [size=78%] would look great in the garage next to my 400/4 [/size] :rollin :rollin