Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:15 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 257969 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #350 on: 10 June 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
look red?..if you not happy with it?..then i do know someone who would be happy to take a few parts off you?? :b .....no use keeping sumat if you dont get on with it??.............like i keep tellin her indoors!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

good idea crh.......send your misses down ive got loads of housework/ironing/washing/cleaning that needs doing....you know the sort of thing....womens work  ;) ;) ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 10 June 2012, 09:38:13 pm »
Mmmmmmmmm?........sounds like you want a good job doing???.....ile get me coat!!! ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 10 June 2012, 09:41:58 pm »
start with the washing.......iam going down the garage  ;) 

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 10 June 2012, 09:47:18 pm »
typical man???........you go play whilst i do all the fkn housework!!!!!!well if you not in by 10.30 ime locking door and going to bed!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

goose710

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 15 June 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
hi folks been studying this post since page 1 as i too have the same problem wiv a 98 fazer.i bought it last december and its been running the stuttering prob pretty much ever sice :'( the owner before had put a devlvic pipe on it and stainless dwnpipes,standard filter.Never been sure weather it was re jetted he had put irridum plugs new oil filter etc just before i got it.ive followed most of ur checks and everthing seems ok.having left it for a few mnths thought id go throu the checks all again.I found this time no 3 cylinder cold ?checked the plug duff!.changed them today back to ngk and all seemed ok on start up.Grt i thought test ride,stuttering almost instant.I then pulled choke on for ten secs and it pick up again ,i then shut the choke off and it all seemed far much better.Any ideas?wld it be not enough fuel ,and needs re jetting and aftermarket air filter.I was thinking of buying a standard end can and putting that back on?sorry its soooo long chaps....goose

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 15 June 2012, 09:08:44 pm »
hi,goose, reds got a std can on his and its still doing same?....so mabe at this point?..save your dosh!!...keep looking on here because reds going to do some more testing?...some tips given to him off a road racing mechanic!.....ade the blade cured his with a re,jet and his was wearing a aftermarket can?....but he had slightly diffrnt symptoms?.....any way?....ime sure red and ade will be along shortly?.......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 16 June 2012, 01:09:02 pm »
hi goose......... welcome to the club........yes standard can on mine,carbs std as well.ie main jets,pilot jets and needle on factory height settings....crh has helped me out with lots of checks/inspections/changes and probable causes for the stutter,main one being mixture screws,i have a pattern air filter which i fitted just before i noticed the stutted so will check mixture and richen by half a turn....waiting for tyres at moment so wont be able to test ride untill i have them fitted (puncture  :\ )ill do both jobs together and let you know the outcome ..... :)

goose710

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 17 June 2012, 09:25:00 am »
hi folks bit of an up date.,back in march i was 1st thinking my problem cld be either coils or fuel pump so i had bought a set of coils and fuel pump frm flea bay.yesterday i decided to fit them just to elimate them ,so braved the high winds and did the change on me door step,on start up seemed good then stutter and cut out,scratch me head ,oh id forgot to turn the petrol tap under the tank back on  :\ took it for a test ride and its fine .Just hope that maybe the old fuel pump had a problem.I still might junk the patterned standard air filter and go KnN and stage 1 dyno jet ,gona take the bike for a good ride out today and see after a few hrs riding will let you all know ,fngrs x its solved.goose

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 17 June 2012, 10:21:52 am »
not realy looked at the fuel pump...apart from a flush through...lets us know the outcome of the test ride  ;)   

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 17 June 2012, 10:35:31 am »
red!! remember the fuel pump tests we did with ade??.......chk bk to the pulse results?? ...wasnt mine reading alot higher than yours?...at tickover and 5000rpm?????? :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 17 June 2012, 11:07:07 am »
red!! remember the fuel pump tests we did with ade??.......chk bk to the pulse results?? ...wasnt mine reading alot higher than yours?...at tickover and 5000rpm?????? :rolleyes

ah yes......well remembered....results....                 idle          5000 rpm

ade         1              3
                                                          crh          2              9
                                                          red          2.5           7

yes indeed............ade has a low count  :rollin :rollin
ade used bigger jets to solve his problem...figures are interesting though....GOOSE...have you done this test ? posted by ADE THE BLADE on 18 may 2012   

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 17 June 2012, 11:46:22 am »

ah yes......well remembered....results....                 idle          5000 rpm

ade used bigger jets to solve his problem...figures are interesting though....GOOSE...have you done this test ? posted by ADE THE BLADE on 18 may 2012   
.....ade!! that red says you a low c...t  :eek  and i thought you and him where pals!! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 17 June 2012, 08:44:35 pm »

.....ade!! that red says you a low c...t  :eek  and i thought you and him where pals!! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

not heard from ade for a while...........hope hes alright....or parhaps hes been out to buy some more squirty cream  :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 17 June 2012, 08:50:55 pm »
no me niether?....think hes fell out with me anyway red? :( .....cus i slagged off his vera??????? :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes .......or?,,,,,,,hes been deep sea muff diving and forgot to put on his snorkal??????????????????????????? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 17 June 2012, 09:01:15 pm »
had a lazy day today....but did look at the mixture screws on my spare carbs....2.25 turns out....standard factory settings are 2 turns  ;) ....my bikes a very original example that ive owned for ten years,iam expecting the mixture screws to be 2 turns out if they are i will increase to 2.25 to see if this helps ...........still to sort some tyres after the puncture i got the other day so not been keen to work on bike as wont be able to test ride...did order from busters over a week ago,i phoned yesterday and was told would be another 6 weeks  :eek

GOOSE........have you been on your test ride ?  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 17 June 2012, 09:08:53 pm »
busters??...disgstin mate!!...ive spent hundreds over years with them with no probs??.....cant understand why they doing that to people though?.....they should know what stock they carrying?.......yes try them carbs?...lets hope theres an improvement?? ;) .....and if all else fails?? get a gallon of unleaded n set fire to the fkr????? :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil ......just think what goodies you could buy for geni?????? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 17 June 2012, 09:21:57 pm »
yes happy with gen1....have a scorpion end can on and took the baffle out today for a ride to ace cafe...that makes quite a difference to mid range...might annoy the neighbours in the morning though....tick over not quite as smooth with baffle out...have bought a standard can off ebay so might try that....bargain £17 with std screen thrown in  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 17 June 2012, 09:32:45 pm »
bet theres a massive difference from the 6 to the though isnt there??.......whats it like on fuel?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 17 June 2012, 10:51:21 pm »
yeh big difference....real arm puller and not reached red line yet....i think iam quicker and more relaxed...very sure footed on the road and surprisingly stable at low speed.....how you getting on with yours  :)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 17 June 2012, 10:58:58 pm »
dont ask?? :( ......got it running?...sounds sweet as a nut!!!!.....but...wont go in fkn gear will it?? :'( ......crunches when you try?....so i put it in gear first??..then started it??.....took me up me fkn drive at warp speed!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek ......think i have a problem?????????????????????????? :'( think clutch fkd?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 17 June 2012, 11:26:14 pm »
yeh big difference....real arm puller and not reached red line yet....i think iam quicker and more relaxed...very sure footed on the road and surprisingly stable at low speed.....how you getting on with yours  :)
...yes nice int it to have all that power on tap?? ;) ....my fjr wanted to rip your arms out of sockets too!!.....with nearly 100ftlbs of torque to play with certainly makes your ..ring piece protrude a little :b .......although i do sometimes miss the power of a litre plus bike ?..i do find my foxeye realy good for a 600!...far the bestof any 6 ive  either owned or ridden!!!...i dont tour no more so its good enuf for me!!...dont yet know what ime going to do with the thou?....end of day its all down to money?....ile leave it now for a winter project,give me time to sort some good parts out! at winter prices!!....but promised myself next year my nortons coming out the closet??? ;) ...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 18 June 2012, 06:40:21 am »
dont ask?? :( ......got it running?...sounds sweet as a nut!!!!.....but...wont go in fkn gear will it?? :'( ......crunches when you try?....so i put it in gear first??..then started it??.....took me up me fkn drive at warp speed!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek ......think i have a problem?????????????????????????? :'( think clutch fkd?

good and bad then......lets hope its the clutch  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 18 June 2012, 06:45:51 am »
...yes nice int it to have all that power on tap?? ;) ....my fjr wanted to rip your arms out of sockets too!!.....with nearly 100ftlbs of torque to play with certainly makes your ..ring piece protrude a little :b .......although i do sometimes miss the power of a litre plus bike ?..i do find my foxeye realy good for a 600!...far the bestof any 6 ive  either owned or ridden!!!...i dont tour no more so its good enuf for me!!...dont yet know what ime going to do with the thou?....end of day its all down to money?....ile leave it now for a winter project,give me time to sort some good parts out! at winter prices!!....but promised myself next year my nortons coming out the closet??? ;) ...

my 600 has been fantastic in the 10 years ive owned it....never let me down and always puts a smile on my face....future classic me thinks..its going to be a sad day when i sell the old girl  :\ ...a bit mad when riding it on the limit which is why i like the thou,very stable, relaxed and quicker  :D

goose710

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 18 June 2012, 02:11:28 pm »
hi red98 no never got the time for a good test ride yesterday,i did notice on sat 5mile ride thou ,that wen turning on the ignition the old fuelpump only pulsed once ,when i changed it for the replacement pump it pulses alot more times,havent done the test you did thou.Back in feb i paid the local garage avsco to balance the carbs as i havent got a set of gauges,he said he cldnt get number 3 carb screw to move so balanced the rest of them to that carb,100 pound lay out and it wasnt any better.Now on sat when i changed the pump and coils ,i had a good look and i cld turn no3 carb screw ,i suspect that they never touched em ,and certainlly looked like they hadnt been touched.i did check me diaphrams as i know even a pin hole can affect them,but usally if they gone it wont rev over 7thou.While at avsco he said that althou the inlet rubbers were cracked he said they werent leaking,which i found out sat that no1 and no 4 are leaking so for now silconed em up :D ordered a set frm MnP cheapest i cld find at £63 ,so for now running ok altou think i will up the jet sizes to accomadate the devilic pipe.So fngrs x fazer back on the streets of watford :b

goose710

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 18 June 2012, 05:33:19 pm »
hi again guys n dolls.Just took the fazer out for a good 30mile trip,stopped off at a m8s in hemel .The bike rode ok still a bit stuttery at 6/7 thou in 4th 5th n 6th gear.Whilst at m8s he went on the yamaha owners site,a chap  had put a post up with the same problem,he was running a devilic pipe aswell.He states he solved it by changing the main jets dwn frm 115 to 100?,and now he claims runs ok,i thought youd have to go up a size like 120 etc,what jet size did ade change to.I popped to moores of apsley and bought 4 new 115 jets 4 120 and 4 100 as they only £1.80 each ,thought id try the 120s 1st and see frm there ,il let yous all know at week end how it goes :rolleyes goose