Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:26 am

Author Topic: (Gen 1) Rear Wheel Bearings poss new wheel  (Read 1095 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
(Gen 1) Rear Wheel Bearings poss new wheel
« on: 14 July 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
Hi guys,

So had my gen 1 since last October last year, generally very happy with it but been doing bits and bobs and also finding wee things i'd like to change taking in feedback from the site.

The rear tyre is getting low and squared so thought i better get this done as handling feels pretty shit even with the R6 shock, defo better than standard but still like its sliding about. When i was in today gettin the tyre changed the mechanic said i was to come have a look, the needle bearing at the rear just floats in the wheel, you can move it with two fingers. He said this was not normal and that it should be a comfort fit, this is when i was told it was a new wheel job, would this be correct? There is a breakers nearby but they are looking for £160 or best offer for a wheel. Any ideas on worth?

I have used the link that's in the forum to Marksmen industries and i have ordered a new rear bearing kit and also the sprocket carrier kit so that should save me a good bit money from OEM parts. (Not sure if mechanic will agree to quality of parts over OEM but if endorsed by Mike {Falcon} and the other forum guys then i'm happy)

If the wheel needs changed may also stick a wanted add up in the sale part.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2016, 10:03:26 am by Tefer »

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings poss new wheel
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2016, 06:14:02 pm »
there should be no play in the bearing itself but there is a sleeve in the middle of the main bearings that would be loose..................

Is it definitely the bearing that's loose and not the sleeve???

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2016, 07:28:23 pm »
Yes the needle bearing can be pulled out by hand, and wiggles about in the wheel hub.

Someone i spoke to said the needle bearing is hard to get out and this setup is a bit of a nightmare, mentioned having to crack the bearing or weld on to it to get it out. Had my 600 bearing done last week and that all seemed so easy compared to this?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2016, 02:00:43 pm »
Could you find an engineer that could bore the hub and press in a sleeve to accept the new bearing?

Should be cheaper than replacing the wheel

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!