Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:59 am

Author Topic: Pitted Pots  (Read 1601 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Pitted Pots
« on: 13 July 2016, 08:28:52 pm »
Having a bit of a mare with the blue spots (well one of them) at the moment. I know it hurts but it looks like i'm going to have to spend some money  :'(  Has anyone bought new pistons and seals lately, are the fleabay ones any good? There's a fair variety of prices out there.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

yemisiblake

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Pitted Pots
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2016, 09:19:28 pm »
What's the problem?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2016, 10:06:01 pm »
They look alright to me. Are they moving alright? I doubt the corroded bit would ever touch the seals so you should be alright. If you want to replace them go for Yamaha ones!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2016, 07:59:18 am »
Have used Powerhouse Automotive (Chesterfield) for all things braking for last few years. They have a good reputation & are a whole bundle of £ cheaper than Yamaha OEM.
Also unlike some pattern components eg seals, their products fit properly. For non-mechanical owners they offer a caliper rebuild service. No I am not sponsored to say this but praise where praise is due....

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2016, 11:17:08 am »
The pots have been sticking on one side for a while now, with one pot almost failing to move. Unfortunately I've got the dreaded low speed grabbing. Visually there appears to be no run-out on the discs, so I'm going to explore everything else. The Powerhouse stuff looks good, I think give the pots a good clean and fit new seals to see if it makes a difference. Funny thing, the wheel was reasonably free to rotate when off the ground, but was binding and hard to turn when I tried to rotate backwards.
It took me a good bit of pumping to get all the pots out into the middle position as in the pic.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2016, 11:18:28 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2016, 11:37:32 am »
The pots have been sticking on one side for a while now, with one pot almost failing to move. Unfortunately I've got the dreaded low speed grabbing. Visually there appears to be no run-out on the discs, so I'm going to explore everything else. The Powerhouse stuff looks good, I think give the pots a good clean and fit new seals to see if it makes a difference. Funny thing, the wheel was reasonably free to rotate when off the ground, but was binding and hard to turn when I tried to rotate backwards.
It took me a good bit of pumping to get all the pots out into the middle position as in the pic.

Could that not have been caused by you putting the pads back in on different sides?
May just need bedding in again.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2016, 01:35:46 pm »
That file stuck in the middle isn't going to help things.  :pokefun

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2016, 03:39:41 pm »

These look perfectly fine to me, I'd just clean them up with some very fine sandpaper!

I did have a front brake grabbing problem which was rectified by copper greasing the lever pivot bolt.