Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: Faulty speedo  (Read 3754 times)

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
Faulty speedo
« on: 04 July 2016, 06:13:18 pm »
So the last time I got my front tyre changed, a dealer broke off the speedo drive cog. I recently put a new one in, thinking the speedo would be working now. It's better but still drops to zero very often.

Recently I saw the speedo jump whilst stationary, so it appears I have an electrical problem with the wire as well.

Presumably I just follow the wire and look for where it is damaged and then solder if necessary and put some heat shrink over it?

Has anyone else had this problem?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Faulty speedo
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2016, 06:16:54 pm »
Speedo or rev counter jumping?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2016, 07:48:05 pm »
Speedo not rev counter. It's not trying to send me a message!

jackw96

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2016, 08:36:27 pm »
Had a similar problem with mine. Only had the bike a couple of weeks and while riding the speedo dropped to zero and the Rev counter worked intermittently. Turned out the plank who had it before me had put front pads in. When he removed the calliper he routed the speedo cable incorrectly and it was rubbing on the disc. It had snagged and ripped the wires out the drive. So this sounds extremely similar. Just look for any damage on the wire. It runs up underneath the tank into a loom. I replaced the full drive and cable and it fixed it. Although I payed £70. Hope this helps

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2016, 08:37:30 pm »
If the cable hasn't been routed properly the disc can wear through the insulation on the wires.  Route it correctly and heat shrink or just insulating tape should fix it

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2016, 10:41:57 am »
What they said
Some say...

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2016, 12:27:24 am »
I had very similar issues, but before it dropped to zero the needle starts jumping to crazy speeds, according to the Speedo I was going round a roundabout at 145mph but then it would drop to slower and slower indicated speeds untill nothing. It sometimes go's up when I slow down, I've checked all connections, wiring and sensor, can't find any problems. Seems to have stopped doing it now but have become very good at judging speed from the rev counter, if that plays up I'm buggered.

If anyone finds a solution I'd be right interested.
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2016, 08:36:26 am »
Check all the wiring that leads from the back of the clocks to the sensor on the front wheel as thare might be a break in one of the 3 wires, this does mean you will have to cut open the "protective tubing" to view clearly all of the wires. Once checked and repair fixed (if there is damage) re cover the wires with at least 3 layers of insolation tape as to be honest that will be more protective than that tubing they use any way.

had to do this to my bike.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2016, 08:38:16 am by Fazer99 »
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Albert Herring

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2016, 08:59:54 am »
The symptoms are definitely what you get when the cable rubs on the brake disk and it starts slicing into the wires. It seems that when the front wheel or brake caliper is removed and replaced it's very easy to miss something that holds the cable away from the disk; I now have mine routed round the outside of the caliper to be on the safe side, since finding replacements for the cable is a bit of a mare.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
So I just took the whole cable out from the wiring box under the tank, there are no cuts in the wire; to be sure I triple span round it with insulation tape, connection on both ends are clean, I don't have a multimeter to check how the connection really is though.

I replaced the front wheel a couple of days ago, my replacement ceramic piece is in there fine, the two lugs have not broken off.

Does anyone have any more ideas?  :'(

Check all the wiring that leads from the back of the clocks to the sensor on the front wheel as thare might be a break in one of the 3 wires, this does mean you will have to cut open the "protective tubing" to view clearly all of the wires. Once checked and repair fixed (if there is damage) re cover the wires with at least 3 layers of insolation tape as to be honest that will be more protective than that tubing they use any way.

There were 3 wires, but they did not go into the back of the clocks.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2016, 08:36:46 am »

There were 3 wires, but they did not go into the back of the clocks.

Where did they lead to then?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2016, 11:32:08 am »
They don't go direct to the clocks.  I think they go to the black box of connectors under the tank and from there to the Ignition unit in the tail piece and the speedo gets its signal from there. 

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2016, 11:46:35 am »
They don't go direct to the clocks.  I think they go to the black box of connectors under the tank and from there to the Ignition unit in the tail piece and the speedo gets its signal from there.

I will double check when I'm on my lunch but that doesn't sound right to me, as I'm sure mine go direct from the sensor on the front wheel to the back of the clocks.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2016, 02:12:58 pm »

I will double check when I'm on my lunch but that doesn't sound right to me, as I'm sure mine go direct from the sensor on the front wheel to the back of the clocks.

Just checked and you are correct, I think I must have got the cables mixed up as i was tracking them. I think when I get some free time I might have to see it I can tidy it all up as it's like a bowl of spaghetti under my clocks. I think one of the previous owners must have had loads of gadgets fitted to the bike at some point as I'm sure there are more wires there than are actually needed.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2016, 03:54:05 pm by Fazer99 »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2016, 02:37:43 pm »
What they said

But forget the insulating tape, cut it, solder it and heat shrink it.

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2016, 10:14:04 pm »
I would do that, but the cable is not damaged.

I'm really stuck here, damn I hate electrics.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2016, 08:15:58 am »
Have you checked all the wiring and connectors feading from the black Spaghetti box under the tank to the clocks as well as the wires from the front wheel?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2016, 11:32:17 am »
If it's messy under the clocks my guess is that's where the problem connection is

Pike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Tisdall
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2016, 10:22:20 am »
I'll have a good look between the spaghetti box and the clocks! Is it easy to get the clocks off?

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2016, 09:35:27 am »
they are easy to remove once you have removed the front fairing