Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Author Topic: Best tyres Sports Touring Tyres for the Old Girl  (Read 12682 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Best tyres Sports Touring Tyres for the Old Girl
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2018, 08:10:53 pm »
just ordered a set of 3dxm storms from bikespeeduk.com for the cb13, they are doing any combination of a pair for 140 quid, had em on the last cb, perfectly good tyre for grunting about and last well
« Last Edit: 05 October 2018, 08:15:45 pm by ogri48 »

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 October 2018, 03:18:07 pm »
Well, I got a pair of the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres fitted a few weeks ago and yeah, like them. The most remarkable thing about them is that they felt so good from mile zero - like, as soon as I put the wheels back on they felt planted with good grip. They did feel a little bit high (increased ride height) but that might have been my imagination. Or maybe my old tyres were flat, ha!

One thing I have found very nice is that they seem to complain in a very civilised manner when they're pushed hard. In a straight line under very heavy braking the front starts to slowly shimmy/weave when it's getting overloaded which puts a smile on my face. And coming out of corners the back also gives a little squirmy warning that says it thinks it's working hard enough, thanks.

So yeah, happy with them. Now if they'll just do 20,000 miles that would be great...
« Last Edit: 27 October 2018, 03:37:47 pm by roxburd »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 October 2018, 05:48:25 pm »
Well, I got a pair of the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres fitted a few weeks ago and yeah, like them. The most remarkable thing about them is that they felt so good from mile zero - like, as soon as I put the wheels back on they felt planted with good grip. They did feel a little bit high (increased ride height) but that might have been my imagination. Or maybe my old tyres were flat, ha!

One thing I have found very nice is that they seem to complain in a very civilised manner when they're pushed hard. In a straight line under very heavy braking the front starts to slowly shimmy/weave when it's getting overloaded which puts a smile on my face. And coming out of corners the back also gives a little squirmy warning that says it thinks it's working hard enough, thanks.

So yeah, happy with them. Now if they'll just do 20,000 miles that would be great...
Good choice, I've been more than happy with mine. To get 20,000 miles from them will be a bit like Triggers broom. You'll only need 2 new fronts and 3 new rears. Or maybe 3 new fronts and 4 new rears depending on how sporty you are. The latter methinks :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2018, 08:12:06 pm »
I'm going to have to try some of these recommendations out of curiosity as only one person has said about the Bridgestone BT30's which I have on my Gen.1 Fazer, no Valentino Rossi but no slouch either and I can't fault them other than a little low on mileage. 4000 miles out of the 1st rear, now a 1000 miles into that and the front whilst not down to the limit it's getting fairly low and just moving a little on damp roads.

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2018, 06:34:15 am »
Best tyres I’ve had are the angel st. I let my mate have a go of my bike and he got them fitted to his srad 750 a month later as he was so impressed

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 December 2018, 11:29:45 am »
Storm 3D-XM.  Met a guy whilst waiting for my MOT on a 1200 bandit that carries roughly the same combined weight I do when the wife's on board.  After 2K of heavy use they looked fine. Have been very impressed with the older Storm ST's in the past. Getting them fitted Monday.
just ordered a set of 3dxm storms from bikespeeduk.com for the cb13, they are doing any combination of a pair for 140 quid, had em on the last cb, perfectly good tyre for grunting about and last well
How are you guys getting with these, I ask because they are cheaper than any of the other big brands atm.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 December 2018, 11:35:42 am »
Also regarding expiry dates, found this link but I now have more questions -

https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2017/09/26/do-motorcycle-tires-expire-a-guide-to-tire-date-codes/
« Last Edit: 03 December 2018, 11:36:56 am by b1k3rdude »

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2018, 08:55:34 am »
Storm 3D-XM.  Met a guy whilst waiting for my MOT on a 1200 bandit that carries roughly the same combined weight I do when the wife's on board.  After 2K of heavy use they looked fine. Have been very impressed with the older Storm ST's in the past. Getting them fitted Monday.
[/quote
How are you guys getting with these, I ask because they are cheaper than any of the other big brands atm.
So far they have been excellent both two up & a 1000 mile scratch following boy racers on race bikes.  I did the same trip 10 years ago on some Avon Azaros that had about 3K on them & where destroyed when I got back. The 3D’[size=78%]s are so solid under braking, rain & the centre header section has no signs of squaring off.  Top tire.[/size]

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 December 2018, 02:21:32 pm »
And how are they in the wet, as a few people online have complained about this and about 10yrs ago I tried Avons (cant remember the model) on my ZZR1200 and they were so bad I got them removed after 500 miles.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 December 2018, 01:36:19 pm »
I normally only do dry weather trips unless a weekend away comes up however, The 3D-XM’s worked well in the wet but I never tested the limit, they spun up quite easily over white lines in the wet in a straight line without hardly any throttle.  Not sure if any others tyres wouldn’t.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 December 2018, 04:28:47 pm »
  • The 3D-XM’s worked well in the wet but I never tested the limit,
  • they spun up quite easily over white lines in the wet in a straight line without hardly any throttle.
  • So would you say no oh F*** moments going around corners or leaning over in the wet?
  • hmm, Ive not had a tyre do that in a very long time. And in the wet I am very gentle with the throttle and cant remember the last time that happened.
I might contact Avon and see if there is a time period that they can be returned if they arent suitable.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 December 2018, 06:16:48 pm »
Bridgestone Battlax BT021R on the rear and Bridgestone Battlax T30F on the front, love the combination of the two.
I had a BT021 on the front before and found that it feathered quite badly, and, it was a bit twitchy powering out of corners when the bike was riding high on the suspension, the T30F is a completely different beast, it inspires confidence.
The BT021 on the rear is fine, when powering out of fast bends the back hunkers down and is sure footed.
Only ever had Battlax tyres on my bike since returning to two wheels about 5 years ago.
The tyres i used many years ago were Dunlop TT100's, compared with modern tyres and compounds the TT100's were shite, lots of miles out of them but limited grip, quite hard rubber compound if I recall.
I guess most well known modern tyres are much of a muchness, it just down to rider preference.   

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 December 2018, 06:51:30 pm »
  • The 3D-XM’s worked well in the wet but I never tested the limit,
  • they spun up quite easily over white lines in the wet in a straight line without hardly any throttle.
  • So would you say no oh F*** moments going around corners or leaning over in the wet?
  • hmm, Ive not had a tyre do that in a very long time. And in the wet I am very gentle with the throttle and cant remember the last time that happened.
I might contact Avon and see if there is a time period that they can be returned if they arent suitable.
I’ve had about 4 sets of 3dxms they are very good in the wet, like any tyre if you take the piss with the throttle they will slip but they are my go to tyre. I’ve done a trackday on them as well on my gen 2, were great on a that too.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 December 2018, 12:43:18 am »
The tyres i used many years ago were Dunlop TT100's, compared with modern tyres and compounds the TT100's were shite, lots of miles out of them but limited grip, quite hard rubber compound if I recall.
But the TT100s were reckoned to be the best tyre in their day. I forget what I had, but if the TT100s were shite, mine were suicidal  :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 December 2018, 06:13:21 pm »
TT100's were far better than the Avon skidmaster (Speedmaster). At that time possibly the best rear tyre was the Avon GP, certainly favoured by most Goldie owners.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #40 on: 16 December 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
From a personal standpoint.......yes :) .

I agree - I have been trying the Metzler Roadtec 01s for a while & they are pricey but excellent & I find the mileage good.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 December 2018, 09:06:39 pm »
gotta say I don't like the feel of the avons anywhere near as much as the bridgestones on the fazer...especially in the cold or wet. Im hoping they are just taking a long while to bed in, otherwise they will be off and replaced. I aint risking my bike or my self for the cost of a pair off tyres so we'll see..

mw2018

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - fzr600
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 December 2018, 08:42:59 pm »
it's a bit like asking a bunch of blokes what is a good lager to try or which wine they prefer, but my 2p's worth goes to Pilot road 4s, mine has these and they are faultless. i must admit, i favour Michelins on most bikes. same as i like Shoei over Arai. beer has to be Peroni.  :)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 December 2018, 08:29:34 am »
 :agree  PR4s on my Gen 1 and they are great.
Don't really do lager though..........but Old Speckled Hen, now then  :woot
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 December 2018, 07:49:01 pm »
My Avon storm 3dxms are nearly done after 4600 hard miles. 2mm left in the centre of the rear 2.5mm on the front. Only slipped once on a wet manhole at full throttle. I don’t think that’s bad for less than £150 a pair.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 23 December 2018, 09:20:36 am »
But the TT100s were reckoned to be the best tyre in their day. I forget what I had, but if the TT100s were shite, mine were suicidal  :(

The main stay tyre of yesteryear were the Avon Speed Masters. The Speed Master rear tyre was not a profiled tyre at all, unlike all modern tyres, Its shape was almost square, so instead of rolling around the circumference of the profile as you went into a corner it ran up onto a fairly sharp angle, giving minimum contact with the road and also making it unstable as it tended to either want flop over one way or the other, it teetered on the edge.

I often wondered if that rear tyre was an intentional compromise, because motorcycle and sidecars were very popular years ago and as there was very little lean that tyre could be used back and front on the bike and also on the side car. 

The front Avon Speed Master was a more profiled tyre with a almost linear unbroken circular tread pattern that did not do a good job of sweeping water away from its path, and therefore was not good in the wet. (OK in the dry)

Bridgestone when they first started importing into this country actually manufactured and imported motorcycles, before swapping to tyre manufacture, I used to try and get Bridgsetone right back then as they seemed the best option to me. But again compared with modern compounds they were not great.

1st Pic is a Bridgestone GTR 350cc Stroker twin
2nd Pic is a Bridgstone 50cc 2 stroke twin pot racer 14 gears and capable of around 75-80 mph and revved in excess of 18000 revs  :eek
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 09:28:45 am by tommyardin »

Roymac

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Blackbird, buying fz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 29 December 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
Bridgestone T31 are a savage tyre , or the S21's
Both have excellent grip in wet and.dry riding

will6576

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gen 1 and 2 Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 January 2019, 06:28:51 am »
Mate and i tried Angel ST's on the Fazer and they are Brilliant! both up to 7000 Miles with 3mm tread still front and rear, was going to try the GT's but i have a Gen 1 and 2 busa, one has the GT's and other ST's,
The GT's are too stiff a compound if you like letting go on the twisties so ST's for me....

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 January 2019, 09:53:45 pm »
the avon 3dxms stayed on for 56 miles lol. They are a good touring/ summer tyre, or perhaps a good winter one too if you ride hard..I don't this time of year. Which means they just don't get enough heat in them for me. so ive put bridgestones back on the cb, and if anybody wants the avons with genuinely less than 100 miles on them, seventy quid collected gets them. If ive still got them come april, i'll stick them on the fazer for me and dynspuds run to france, I'm guessing they would be perfect for that..

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 January 2019, 11:59:31 pm »
Bridgestone T31 are a savage tyre , or the S21's
Both have excellent grip in wet and.dry riding

T31 on the front end and BT021 on the rear, works well for me, had a BT021F on the front did not like that if felt a bit skittish powering out of corners, plus it started feathering on the edges.

Anyone tell me as I have not found one yet, is the a bikes for sale section on the site?