Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:59 pm

Author Topic: after a new exhaust? have a read here first  (Read 6334 times)

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
after a new exhaust? have a read here first
« on: 26 June 2016, 05:10:05 pm »
so when I bought the fazer last month I knew that I would be replacing the end can, it had been damaged by the previous owner and I originally had planned to stubby it, either that or get another sleeve and replace it. after a bit of research I through out both ideas after I had looked at 51mm slip ons and stumbled across these     http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/38-51mm-Motorcycle-Carbon-Fiber-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-Removable-Silence-DB-Killer/301933030140?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p5197.c100068.m2280&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211125758%26meid%3D3b6eb918ded5408d9bf8b8f53b04e420%26pid%3D100068%26clkid%3D6401476621037234829&_qi=RTM2108002

I thought for £40 it's got too be worth an investigation and if it's any good I'd tell people about it, if it's shit id stay stum, well i'm telling you about it, so it must have gone ok  :lol

i'll stick up a piccy of the fazer before surgery....

my momma always says, stupid is as stupid does.
that's all i gotta say about that

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: after a new exhaust? have a read here first
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2016, 05:33:32 pm »
any way, last sunday evening I ordered one of them cans, It was straight forward enough, just paypal'd it and once the order was accepted I was sent a shipping/tracking number (you have to follow the tracking via Hong Kong mail) It was dispatched on tuesday the 22nd and gave a delivery estimation anywhere between July 5th and July 27th......... It came yesterday morning via parcel force   :D

it was well packaged inside a polystyrene and cardboard casing, this contained the can, strap and adaptor. it also contained two springs and two weldable spring clips, I have Delkavic headers and a Micron link pipe, the end can was Delkavic (talk about a friggin cocktail of parts) the end can was held on with a clamp, although the new can has two tags for attaching the springs too.

decisions, decisions,,,, there's a company about a 5 minutes ride away called flowtech that do all things bendy and pipey, they have helped me with bikes exhaust before and made me a beautiful link pipe for a tdm 850. I couldnt be bothered getting the spring clips welded on, so it was out with Mr Grinder  :smash

I removed both tabs from off the can being careful not too damage anything and making sure I left as little weld left as possible so I could finish it off with a file, I also cut 4 small slits to enable the sleeve to close down on the link pipe when it was pushed and clamped onto the link pipe.

a little bit of file work and all was good and fitting snuggly together.

all tightened up and wobbled/shaken to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and it was time to hear what it sounded like.

with decibel killer in place it gives a pleasant yet still volumous growl, with decibel killer out it gives a rapturous roar (your neighbours will not like you) I don't like him either so the DB killer is sat in my tool box awaiting MOT day.
'
fitting took about an hour, and most of that was spent filing the thing clean and autosol'ing my link pipe shiny again. you could be quicker if less fussy, or a lot longer if you don't have a grinder and hacksaw the tags off.

I forgot to weight the can, but it weighed naff all, it's alloy sleeve with carbon effect and stainless end caps, I used all original fixings because I trust their strength, I threw all Chinese bolts in the bin as I don't trust their strength.

i'll get a piccy up in a few minutes of the new can.

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2016, 05:39:33 pm »
here you go

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2016, 05:40:25 pm »
and another

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2016, 05:44:48 pm »
I know we aint always flush and when looking at buying stuff for the bike money always has to be a consideration, my reasoning was why spend between £100/£250 on a labeled exhaust such as Akrapovoc, Leo vinci etc when this could be an option, I bought the renthal copy bars and the Akrapovic can for less than £55. A good result i think.
anybody tempted, or on the lookout for a new exhaust can a  may consider this as an option.?

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2016, 08:37:15 pm »
I like that, looks the business. Keep the ebay link. depends on how it lasts over a year now.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2016, 08:49:46 pm »
I reckon it will hold up ok. If the carbon effect starts to wear off
 I'll  either strip it clean and polish it. Or spray it satin black.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2016, 09:06:19 pm »
Well done taking the plunge with this one!
Some say...

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2016, 10:09:31 pm »
Hmm, quite tempting that there. My Venom can is looking a spot tatty from previous offs, and £40 is super cheap!

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2016, 06:39:41 pm »
thought silencers have to be tailored made to suit different bikes?
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2016, 08:48:56 pm »
In all honesty a straight through pipe is a straight through pipe. Length plays a part in the way exhaust gases leave. But mostly your paying for a name/brand of pipe orc the material it is made of. For £40 these are well put together and without the db killer the exhaust note is infectious

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2016, 10:20:05 pm »
thought silencers have to be tailored made to suit different bikes?
Lots of silencers (end cans) are interchangeable if you can get the correct size to connect to the link pipe it shouldn't make a difference, (and the hanger should just slide up or down the silencer to fit in with original hanger place)
It's the downpipes and link pipes that you really need to keep to original specs etc although these could be changed too if you wanted to route the exhaust a different way, ie to the other side of the bike but that would involve a lot of measuring and sorting out :(
« Last Edit: 28 June 2016, 10:24:51 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2017, 12:24:54 pm »
I was wondering how this can has fared in the past 7 months and the winter?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2017, 12:56:33 pm »
Is that a very small chair or is it a long way away

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2017, 11:58:55 am »

i'm pleased to say that it still looks as if it was only put on yesterday, the finish cleans up really well and the bike is left uncovered outside and ridden daily. the wadding hasn't deteriorated and the exhaust hasn't gotten any louder over time and the rivets are still all secure. to say i'm chuffed with it is an understatement, i'll definitely look at getting another for future bikes. I put an mot on the fazer a couple of months back and inserted the DB killer as i wasn't sure if it was too loud without and it flew through the MOT. best 40 quid spent in my opinion, as long as i can get these i'll keep on using them as if you drop the bike on the right hand side the first thing to hit the floor could be £200 plus of exhaust, if old Betsy hit the floor and the can took the brunt i think i can live with 40 quid rather than my tank or something else take a hammering.   ;)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2017, 08:52:43 am »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile

TOADY

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2017, 10:40:47 am »
For a tad more you can even get "akrapovic" ones  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-38-51MM-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-With-Removable-DB-Killer-/112264382677

18 quid more for the Akrapovic ones or £3.25 for the sticker, i love the mark up on some stuff  :rolleyes

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2017, 11:00:19 am »
To be honest if I didn't already have a genuine akra on mine I would honestly buy one as they look a lot nicer than the one I have on!
And it's only an end can so makes no difference over any other one other than noise.
I know your supposed to get what you pay for but when you think a genuine akra is around £500, are they really 10x better than these?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2017, 11:55:54 am »
I would have one but at the moment my 19 year old OEM one is doing fine. The downpipe on the other hand are getting close to needing a replacement, it would be great to get those for £40   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 February 2017, 04:41:15 pm »
I have a straight through micron one at the moment which is brilliant. But I'm flirting with doing a track day this year at castle combe which had a gestapo noise limit on it. So instead of putting the original back on (heavy) i might go for one of these instead. 

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 February 2017, 05:40:58 pm »
I have got my thou down to 101 decibels, that's quiet I tell you. Home made baffle in a reasonably short blue flame can , no cat
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2017, 06:41:52 pm »
and another

Hi Toady,
Has you can been hitting the outside top edge of the swinging arm? Scuff marks on it.

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2017, 06:49:45 pm »

i'm pleased to say that it still looks as if it was only put on yesterday, the finish cleans up really well and the bike is left uncovered outside and ridden daily. the wadding hasn't deteriorated and the exhaust hasn't gotten any louder over time and the rivets are still all secure. to say i'm chuffed with it is an understatement, i'll definitely look at getting another for future bikes. I put an mot on the fazer a couple of months back and inserted the DB killer as i wasn't sure if it was too loud without and it flew through the MOT. best 40 quid spent in my opinion, as long as i can get these i'll keep on using them as if you drop the bike on the right hand side the first thing to hit the floor could be £200 plus of exhaust, if old Betsy hit the floor and the can took the brunt i think i can live with 40 quid rather than my tank or something else take a hammering.   ;)

Nice one, I think i will get one this month. Only thing is i don't have a grinder, will I still be able to get a clip on the end of it and the link pipe?