Date: 16-04-24  Time: 19:05 pm

Author Topic: Mt10 test ride  (Read 11372 times)

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Mt10 test ride
« on: 09 June 2016, 04:44:18 pm »
Anybody else tried one? I went out yesterday for an hour. They stick it on the 'baby' settings at first, and that makes it slightly more powerful feeling than my fzs thou. But after five minutes I put it on the 'wow' settings :p
It's got instant go whenever you twist the throttle. And it turns so easily!

Fantastic v-twin like sound from the exhaust. I think i annoyed quite a few people yesterday!

It's not pleasant on bumpy roads though, a gel seat will help a bit, but they are about £220.

This is a bike for hoons, I used up a fair about of fuel in that hour. But wasn't quite convinced it was that much better than my old bike - until i got back on it. It felt old and slow in comparison!

This is definitely a good bike, but not sure I can justify spending ten grand on it...

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
Re: Mt10 test ride
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2016, 05:51:17 pm »
I went to my local dealer yesterday with an idea to book a test ride but chickened out because I know it will make me dissatisfied with my gen1. The only thing putting me off buying a one is all the fashionable electronic crap that comes with it.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2016, 06:23:24 pm »
I've just spent the best part of the afternoon on one....No rush they said, take your time they said, have fun and enjoy...........OK then :evil

This was my first impressions.....
Throttle felt a bit snatchy.....on or off, didn't like it
Didn't like 30 mph in top gear
Seat was rock hard, alright for the 2 1/2 hrs I was on it but an all day session my guess is that you'll be feeling it
Traction control kept interfering with the acceleration and at one time I hit the rev limiter thinking it was the TC

So, seeing as the bike shop was at the beginning of my favourite roads consisting of fast twisty A and B roads, some incredibly fast and sweeping and others tight and technical, I pulled over, turned off the traction control, selected A mode and forgot all about the £750 excess I'd just agreed to pay  :D

This was my second impression...........

FUCKING HELL.......What a machine.......I found it lifting the wheel, off the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 4 th with a little tug and at one stage 5th well in excess of three figure speeds when it hit a little lump in the road.
This is, without doubt A HOOLIGAN MACHINE and I found myself laughing and babbling like a pubescent teenager spying through a hole in the womens changing rooms.

Every corner exit it will wheelie out of and on a couple of occasions, while still cranked over I could feel the front wheel skipping the tarmac like it was getting impatient and just wanted to throw it's front wheel skyward.

The noise it made was fantastic, like a deep throb. It was light and completely planted  and Yamaha IMO have got the balance of torque and power right for use on the road.
I used up half a tank of fuel in an hour and stopped and put in £12 which seemed to fill it up. When I took it back it was back on half a tank so it seems a bit juicy but really, you aren't going to care.

I found it felt a bit coarse  rolling on the throttle in 6th gear out of a bend but this bike is all about the first 3 gears IMO.

I love my Fazer but it felt very heavy and unresponsive in comparison and the throttle felt so stiff after the fly by wire of the MT10.

Would I pay £10 K for one ? ........I guess you'd have too if you want one
Do I want one ?....... Fuck yes 
« Last Edit: 09 June 2016, 09:30:01 pm by dazza »

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2016, 08:05:07 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it m8 sound's like you was having fun and also glad I wasn't there today trying to keep you in sight  :lolgood review  :thumbup

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2016, 06:11:06 am »
B mode is the most responsive and aggressive on the MT 10, so I guess you might have missed out on the last bit of extra fun.  :)

Actually I am not sure most riders can tell the difference, I have seen lots of reviews on You Tube where they have it in B mode thinking its the softest, then swopping to standard or A mode claim its even faster/more aggressive.

I quite like the bike but the tank is too small for my liking.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2016, 06:43:06 am »
Yes,  Lagunas in Maidstone said B mode was more aggressive, the bike Shop I test rode from said A mode was.  Apparently it's just throttle response as it still produces the same power. I did have a spurt on B mode as well but like others,  couldn't really tell the difference.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2016, 08:12:50 pm »
I'm already on the MT-10 forum, just for info. Lots of gossip..

http://mt10forum.com

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2016, 10:29:14 pm »
I didn't actually try mode A, 90% of my ride was in mode B :)  it was very responsive, didn't find it aggressive at all.

I would only get one if they took off a grand, I can't justify spending £10k on a new bike, got plenty of other things that I could spend the money on :(

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2016, 12:41:34 am »
If we come out the EU apparently Japanese imports can be 10% cheaper. Another thing the EU is dictating to us over.
I might just wait till after the referendum.!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2016, 11:21:57 pm »
People already moaning about poor tank range, reports of 85 to 90 miles till reserve  :eek
Maybe keeping hold of the gen 1 is a sensible option
« Last Edit: 13 June 2016, 02:06:20 am by dazza »

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2016, 11:44:21 am »
If we come out the EU apparently Japanese imports can be 10% cheaper. Another thing the EU is dictating to us over.
I take it you are a Sun reader? If you are in the meeting that agrees the deal, then it is not dictating. If you choose not to attend the meeting, nobody is going to listen to you complain.  Or are you looking forward to the return of import duties to "protect the beleaguered British motorcycle industry"?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2016, 12:06:15 pm »
Don't read any papers and I've never sat in any meeting and agreed to anything so it's all a dictatorship to me especially as they are not elected.....Anyway,kindly take your political statements elsewhere, this is all about the MT10  ;)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2016, 01:31:19 pm »
Don't read any papers and I've never sat in any meeting and agreed to anything so it's all a dictatorship to me especially as they are not elected.....Anyway,kindly take your political statements elsewhere, this is all about the MT10  ;)
If you didn't want to read political statements, then you probably shouldn't have made them.

And since you claim you don't read the papers (does the Sun count?), you probably don't know that Sterling is already the weakest against the Yen that it has been in the last three years having dropped by a quarter since the end of last year which means that means Jap bikes are already 20% more expensive and you haven't had the referendum yet.

And what do you mean "They aren't elected"? Who aren't? Are you sure you are qualified to vote? This isn't the Eurovision song contest so you might want to consider finding out what the facts actually are and who is actually dictating to whom.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2016, 04:17:47 pm »
My statement was relevant to the OP  concerning a reduction in duty from japan that the EU is preventing us from negotiating making the MT10 £1000 cheaper. It wasn't meant as political trigger to bring the likes of you out of the woodwork.
You opened your post with a personal insult referring to me as a sun reader which is never going to be meant as a compliment, you then go on to insult me again suggesting I'm not qualified to vote. I don't have to be qualified just eligible.  You are obviously just spoiling for an argument over the internet. Really ! Haven't you got anything better to do. Like I said go on to the EU thread and vent your opinions and insults on there. I'm too busy thinking about the MT10 to be bothered with arguing with you. :z

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2016, 04:29:58 pm »
Darren......u wanna borrow my large bitch gun ?

Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2016, 05:40:17 pm »
My statement was relevant to the OP  concerning a reduction in duty from japan that the EU is preventing us from negotiating making the MT10 £1000 cheaper. It wasn't meant as political trigger to bring the likes of you out of the woodwork.
You opened your post with a personal insult referring to me as a sun reader which is never going to be meant as a compliment, you then go on to insult me again suggesting I'm not qualified to vote. I don't have to be qualified just eligible.  You are obviously just spoiling for an argument over the internet. Really ! Haven't you got anything better to do. Like I said go on to the EU thread and vent your opinions and insults on there. I'm too busy thinking about the MT10 to be bothered with arguing with you. :z
Bullshit! Your post was a straight up political position with only the weakest relevance to the OP and lots of factual errors in it. If you want to vote out, that is your choice, but if you want to post factual errors or political biases, then expect to have your position challenged. The fact that your errors were the "EU bans bent bananas" type errors that the Sun is so famous for  is what made me ask if you read that particular journal. Factual error number 1, the EU is not preventing you from doing anything, as a member of the EU, your directly elected politicians have the final say in all negotiations. If the UK wants to impose a lower duty on Japanese imports then the rest of Europe, (or a higher one) they are free to do so, what they are not free to do, because your elected politicians have signed the treaties involved, is restrict trade within Europe, so they could not change the duty on Ducatis, BMWs, KTMs or Triumphs. However, you are free (today) to buy your next Yamaha from France. Factual error number two, Leaving the EU will not the make Yamahas £1000 cheaper since the crash in Sterling makes the bike £2000 more expensive today then it would have been last December, regardless of whether you choose to stay or to leave. 

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2016, 05:52:42 pm »
Are you on your period ?  :lol

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
I take it you are a Sun reader? If you are in the meeting that agrees the deal, then it is not dictating. If you choose not to attend the meeting, nobody is going to listen to you complain.  Or are you looking forward to the return of import duties to "protect the beleaguered British motorcycle industry"?
I will be voting out , and am very much left wing and used to buy the mirror , I used to read the right wing papers (know thy enemy ) I hated the Sun for its pro Thatcher stance , the lies it used to tell about the miners and it's attack of the Liverpool fans after Hillsborough, I stopped buying the Mirror because of the lies it told about British soldiers during the Iraq war . 
I used to be a staunch labour voter , but I abandoned Labour when it abandoned its core voters during the Blair years , I now vote Green , although I don't share their  EU stance .
The remain camp is also short on facts and  Is using  project fear to scare voters just as much as the leave camp , the bottom line is no one knows what will happen if we leave .
You may wish to remain part of the EU, but insulting people doesn't help your cause .

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2016, 07:52:29 pm »
Meanwhile, back on topic....

People already moaning about poor tank range, reports of 85 to 90 miles till reserve  :eek
Maybe keeping hold of the gen 1 is a sensible option

I'm one of them. I said to the Yamaha guys at the NEC show that it needs a bigger tank, because the one thing you can't change with any ease is the tank size.

It incenses me that you can buy any after market add-on from rear sets to screens, from radiator guards to full luggage, all of which are two seconds to fit, but no, the one thing that makes a colossal difference to some of us is tank range.

The VFR1200 hasn't sold anything like as much as Honda would like, and who would buy a sports tourer that can't manage 130 to a tank. It's idiotically short sighted and I will not be buying a bike I've been waiting years for if it can't manage even 100 miles.

Utterly senseless.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2016, 08:31:52 pm »
Totally with you on that Ayjay. This is why it's not really a do-it-all bike like it's being marketed as. It's a hooner IMO. You may be able to put a screen and some luggage on it which is a good thing but it's going to get tiresome having to stop or more importantly having to plan ahead and think about fuel stops and fuel station locations especially if you're in unknown territory.

Oh, and apparently, once we come out of the EU,  not only can they be 10% cheaper but without all the European emissions bullshit can be more powerful, have better midrange and ultimately be more fun.  :D   :lurk :lol 

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2016, 09:47:04 pm »
Haha!

Can I have some of your popcorn while we wait?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2016, 10:57:29 pm »
Enjoyed this one....

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 June 2016, 11:42:57 pm »
I run an MT09 and it is a great bike except for the tank range, in my opinion it is at least 2 ltrs short should be 16 instead of 14ltrs.
I tried the MT10 the other day would have loved to have given it the beans, sadly with my knackered knees and the foot rest/ ridding position I could only manage top of the road and back to the dealers.
I will be sticking with the 09 , it is a fun bike and it is keeping me biking.
Not a very interesting post by me but a lot better than talking bollocks abotu in/out of the EU.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2016, 01:29:18 pm »
Oh, and apparently, once we come out of the EU,  not only can they be 10% cheaper but without all the European emissions bullshit can be more powerful, have better midrange and ultimately be more fun.  :D   :lurk :lol
Apparently, you can post any shit you like if you add enough smilies.  :rolleyes
Whether you want to stay or leave is completely up to you, but ho-ho,  :rollin what a laugh, you honestly expected to post bullshit like this without someone showing you up for the little tit that you are? Giggle, giggle  :lol .

Is the Euro 4 compliant 2016 model ZX10R more powerful then the Euro3 complaint 2015 ZX10R or less powerful?
Has the MoT ever lowered its emission standards? Have the MoT published the dates when they will be introducing the Euro5 and the Euro6 emission standards? Is there any reason to think those dates will change? 

Brittan already has one of the highest vehicle inspection standards in Europe, they are not going to be coming down any time soon. 

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 June 2016, 02:34:49 pm »
 :rollin I'm actually amazed and highly amused that you even bit at my remark. You're making it too easy.  You must have a brain the size of a pea.  Do you feel it rolling around inside your empty head when you're on a bumpy road ?
I guess that explains why you want to remain.
I don't really know what your problem is,  it's either psychological or the depressing realisation that we are heading to leave the EU so you're just throwing tantrums in frustration.
Wake up and smell the coffee mate,  you're pathetic unnecessary outbursts are just a source of amusement for us.