Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: Side stand Free play  (Read 1038 times)

Graham Reaper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Side stand Free play
« on: 05 June 2016, 12:43:59 pm »
Picked up my Fazer 1000 last weekend and have a slight niggle with the angle the bike sits at when on the side stand....it's a bit further over than I would like and suspect that it's not how Mr Yamaha intended it to be. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so, a cheap and simple fix would be much appreciated....

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Side stand Free play
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2016, 01:12:56 pm »
Could be that the bike has a jack up kit fitted, this is a pretty common mod which helps improve handling. You could source some OEM dogbones its a 10 minute job to swap them over,  if you do fit them you might find the bike is a little less responsive round the twisties.

I've had a jack up kit fitted for the past 7 years with no issues, the bike does lean more but if concerned I leave the bike in gear or on the centre stand.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2016, 01:16:02 pm by PieEater »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2016, 03:01:59 pm »
Put your bike on the main stand (on level ground), if the rear wheel is only about 1cm clear of the floor you will most likely have a 25mm jack up kit fitted. If the wheel touches the floor it might be a 40 or 50mm jack up kit fitted.

I have 25mm jack up kit fitted and I only have a problem with the lean angle when I have a loaded top box and panniers fitted.

I have been looking for a side stand foot (big foot) for the last few years but have not had any luck.

Graham Reaper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2016, 03:59:12 pm »
Thanks chaps.
I did suspect the presence of a jack up kit though it doesn't feel too high up, coming off sports bikes maybe I haven't noticed though.....there's about an inch under the rear wheel on the centre stand. Doesn't sound like too much of an issue, it's liveable.