Date: 24-04-24  Time: 22:59 pm

Author Topic: Handle bar query.  (Read 4484 times)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Handle bar query.
« on: 20 May 2016, 09:53:55 am »
This has been bugging me since i got the bike......

My handle bars seem to sit a bit squint, just wondering if anyone else's does this or 8f there's a solution.

1st pic is how they sit.
2nd pic is how I think they should sit.

It's notacible as when I try to ride with them straight the bike veers of route, My tyre seems straight as the wear indication is even but I'm compensating as I'm riding.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Handle bar query.
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2016, 10:32:45 am »
May have been dropped or smacked a pot hole hard at some point and the forks have twisted in the yokes (there are other possibilities
But I work on checking the cheap easy options first!)

See vid below on straightening them-

https://youtu.be/vSunBRB6-r8
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 10:33:41 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2016, 11:59:04 am »
This has been bugging me since i got the bike......

My handle bars seem to sit a bit squint, just wondering if anyone else's does this or 8f there's a solution.

1st pic is how they sit.
2nd pic is how I think they should sit.

It's notacible as when I try to ride with them straight the bike veers of route, My tyre seems straight as the wear indication is even but I'm compensating as I'm riding.

Get the front wheel off the ground and loosen all the pinch bolts on the yoke and front wheel spindle, have a friend grip the wheel between his/her knee's and straighten the bars, nip up the bolts, job done.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2016, 12:44:33 pm »
Another common one is the square metal bracket that holds the fairing in place, it's another "piece of cheese" metal that can easily bend out of shape if the fairing takes a knock or the bike is dropped.
It doesn't take a lot to push it out of shape and can give the appearance of crooked steering.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2016, 05:18:02 pm »
Thanks for input guys,

Bike has never been dropped but I know I've went over a few bumpy roads and potholes so I've maybe just knocked it out that wee bit.

I gave it a wee adjustment when I got home this afternoon, and it does look inline now, but I've not taken it out to try it, I'm going out on Sunday so will report back then of how it goes.

Cheers again for the info :thumbup

Edit.... it wasn't straight when I got on bike this morning so guess It didn't do as I thought :(
« Last Edit: 22 May 2016, 04:25:36 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2016, 04:23:42 pm »
Dam that didn't work, back to the drawing board, :(

Now I'm thinking I'll need to be undoing the whole front assembly :( :(
Colin
----------------------

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2016, 06:07:57 pm »
Just loosen the pinch bolts hold the wheel and bars straight and nip the bolts up. Shouldn't take long

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2016, 06:16:28 pm »
Just loosen the pinch bolts hold the wheel and bars straight and nip the bolts up. Shouldn't take long
Tried that ^^^^
maybe need a mate to hold wheel straight at same time, there's definitely something amiss :(
Colin
----------------------

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2016, 06:34:56 pm »
Easiest way is to loosen all the pinch bolts and then, with the wheel straight, push down sharply on the bars 2 or 3 times. That will re-align the forks and the bars. Then, without disturbing anything, tighten the pinch bolts. Worked on mine.  :)
« Last Edit: 22 May 2016, 06:35:54 pm by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2016, 06:53:16 pm »
Easiest way is to loosen all the pinch bolts and then, with the wheel straight, push down sharply on the bars 2 or 3 times. That will re-align the forks and the bars. Then, without disturbing anything, tighten the pinch bolts. Worked on mine.  :)
Yes I agree it's the easiest way but unfortunately it didn't eork for me, now I need to go to plan B :(
Colin
----------------------

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2016, 06:54:46 pm »
DO not loosen them to much, but you should really loosen the axle also.

Other option with the pinch bolts and axle loosend is to put the wheel between your legs, catch the bars and pull the right one forward a little.
What you are doing is twisting the centre stem to realign the forks and that nutt is tight (110Nm tight)

If all is straight as you say, most likely if the head race bearing were ever greased the centre stem bolts were tightened with the forks misaligned or before the forks legs were put back in.

I usually put the axle and fork legs in, tighten the lower pinch bolts before tightening the centre stem if I am doing anything with the head race
This prevents the top yolk going out of alignment when tightening the steering stem nut. 

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2016, 07:23:39 pm »
I think the bikes foced, ill take it off your hands for £10 and a half sucked worthers original

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2016, 07:59:02 pm »
DO not loosen them to much, but you should really loosen the axle also.

Other option with the pinch bolts and axle loosend is to put the wheel between your legs, catch the bars and pull the right one forward a little.
What you are doing is twisting the centre stem to realign the forks and that nutt is tight (110Nm tight)

If all is straight as you say, most likely if the head race bearing were ever greased the centre stem bolts were tightened with the forks misaligned or before the forks legs were put back in.

I usually put the axle and fork legs in, tighten the lower pinch bolts before tightening the centre stem if I am doing anything with the head race
This prevents the top yolk going out of alignment when tightening the steering stem nut.
Going to my mates tomorrow night to give this a try :)
I'm fairly sure it's just the top yoke that's out of line as wheel is running true :)
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
I think the bikes foced, ill take it off your hands for £10 and a half sucked worthers original
Your maybe right and I was nearly tempted, but think your overpricing it with the £10 on top :lol :rolleyes
Colin
----------------------

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2016, 08:19:49 pm »
When you've got all the pinch bolts loose, to confirm when the forks are in line again, you can place a piece of glass or similar flat against the forks. If it's lies flat against both, then they're in line.
Or alternatively, get two long piece of wood dowl ~1.5-2m ish, place the first across the lower point of forks (behind stone covers) and other across bars. Then standing on pegs you can gauge if the two are in line as you make any adjustment. The added length exaggerates any misalignment. 

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2016, 08:38:11 pm »
My handle bars got twisted pretty badly, I parked it opposite a narrow junction. I'm pretty sure someone reversed out into my front wheel. Mine are tricky to straighten as the bike has been knocked over on it's left side a couple of times so the left bar is bent. Poor old girl  :( :rolleyes

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2016, 11:27:23 pm »

:lol :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2016, 05:59:07 am »
Stand on one leg, put your thumb in one earhole whilst stirring a hot bowl of porridge using a frozen fish with the other hand, and sing out loud the song "Donald Where's Your Troosers".

It won't help with the bike at all, but it will no doubt brighten somebody else's day up a little.  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2016, 07:17:49 am »
My grandma believed gargling warm horse piss was a good cure for anything..................

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2016, 11:13:01 am »
My grandma believed gargling warm horse piss was a good cure for anything..................

Have you tried finding warm horse piss these days?  It's always a special order item and cold by the time it's delivered!

Make sure the top steering stem nut is slackened off when trying to take the twist out.  If the twist doesn't want to disappear take the fork legs off and check they aren't bent

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2016, 07:32:45 pm »
Update....

Went to my mates after work to give it another bash and ask his help/advise on the matter.

We came to the conclusion that it was just the top yoke that was out due to testing various things with measurements and the likes.

So of course came the bars, loosened the  top yoke bolt, loosened the clinch bolts on the shocks, the wheel spindle locking bolt, the wheel bolt, the mudguard and the brake caliper bolts, we then lifted the front end up so the top of the shickes were clear of thd top yolk, and then moved the top yoke slightly and gently over till it looked about right.

Put it back down and all seemed good, redone all the bolts and went for a wee test ride to bottom of his street and back, 500 yards each way roughly, all seemed good, so ensured all bolts were torqued and then came home, all 10 miles fealt a lot better and I'm a lot happier now, maybe could of put it round about 2mm more but I'm very pleased with what we done. It'll probably take me a good run to see how much it annoys me :)

So that's another job done on my list :)
Colin
----------------------