Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:31 am

Author Topic: MT-09 Pro's and Cons  (Read 1472 times)

zoser

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
MT-09 Pro's and Cons
« on: 15 May 2016, 02:27:13 pm »
Hope the Mods don't mind me asking a few questions about the reasonably priced MT-09 as I have regularly considered it to be a natural next bike. 

My concerns are from looking at youtube reviews:

1) Fueling.  Has the juddery throttle response been resolved? The fuelling on my Fazer 8 has been perfect.  On my last bike, a CBF600SA (2009) it was dreadful.

2) Do you need to re-flash the ECU to get max power out of the engine?  Some reckon it would barely top 120mph.  By contrast there is a speed test of a guy on a FZ8 o youtube clocking 252km/h.  Unfaired version too.

Any thoughts?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: MT-09 Pro's and Cons
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2016, 09:04:26 pm »
No idea what the top speed is. I have been past 120 but it's not comfortable trying to hold on at those speeds. But the MT's not about top end, its about the torque and rideability. On my FZ1 I often hit 150 and due to the fairing it was ok. Do much over a ton on the MT and I can't even look at the speedo as theres so much going on!

I think a lot of the juddering throttle reports are due to the torque of the triple reacting faster to throttle openings much faster than the 4 cylinder bikes. Once you get the hang of it, it's much better using the throttle to adjust your corner speeds rather than touching the brakes.

The ecu maps have been updated but a recommended mod is Kevs o2 controller (search eBay) sorting out the small opening constant throttle surging.
There are ecu flashes available now, a couple of them with glowing reports.

For me its a much better bike than my FZ1.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
I'd be interested to know if they've mapped out the fuel problems altogether. I even found the Tracer not that nice. One thing I did find on both but more so on the MT09 was it felt like it wobbled at certain speeds. A bit like a tank slapper if that makes sense it went when you pushed on a bit more.
Have seen quite a few advertised in the mid to late £4k now making it seem quite a good buy.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016, 03:59:03 pm »
I think the tracer is the same engine? (may be wrong) so if you dont like that the MT will be the same.
Never had a wobble though.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016, 05:37:36 pm »
As far as I'm aware it's the same engine.