Date: 24-04-24  Time: 14:07 pm

Author Topic: Brighter Indicator bulbs on dash? Done at last!!  (Read 10616 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Brighter Indicator bulbs on dash? Done at last!!
« on: 09 May 2016, 07:07:27 am »
Has anyone used brighter bulbs for the indicator warning lights on the dash? If so what wattage can you use? I find them quite hard to see especially on a bright day and have left the indicators on a couple of times without realising.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 07:17:36 pm by Fazerjon »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Brighter Indicator bulbs on dash?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2016, 08:10:46 am »
I'd be wary of sticking brighter bulbs in: aside from the extra heat they are then distractingly bright when riding at night. LEDs might be some help, perhaps a little brighter, but they catch the eye more because they switch on and off instantly rather than gently warming up and cooling down as with a filament lamp.
Another alternative is a sounder of some sort to make a click each time the indicator relay operates.

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2016, 10:29:05 am »
Maybe worth speaking to this guy. I have no connection with them, but have been thinking the same as you!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-1000-FAZER-led-dash-clock-conversion-kit-lightenUPgrade-/151913528731?hash=item235ec07d9b:g:j~oAAOSwNphWa-4m

cheers

Markie

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2016, 09:30:39 pm »
Those LED kits are mega expensive when you work out that all they are selling are t5 LED's that are about a quid for 10!!! Granted his kits come with some form of fitting guide but I can talk you through getting the clocks out and open ready to fit.............. a quick look on a parts site will show you all there is to open them up!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-New-High-Quality-20pcs-Blue-T5-58-1-LED-Dashboard-Light-Bulb-for-Car-Parts-/151948759830?hash=item2360da1316:g:0uMAAOSwJkJWlirW

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
Maybe worth speaking to this guy. I have no connection with them, but have been thinking the same as you!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-1000-FAZER-led-dash-clock-conversion-kit-lightenUPgrade-/151913528731?hash=item235ec07d9b:g:j~oAAOSwNphWa-4m

Believe me they don't look like that when fitted!!

Markie

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2016, 08:01:44 am »
Thanks guys I found some LED replacement bulbs on Amazon so I'll update the post once I've fitted them.....

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2016, 08:07:48 am »
Be great if you could put together some instructions and maybe take a few photos whilst your doing it as I'm sure it's something others including myself would consider if it was easy enough and you think the difference is worth the effort.

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2016, 09:19:56 am »
it's foc easy! 3 10mm bolts to take your clocks off the bracket the half a dozen screws to take the back off the clocks. then it's just a case of remove one bulb, replace with new..........

don't think it's hard because it isn't

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2016, 10:18:51 am »
Be great if you could put together some instructions and maybe take a few photos whilst your doing it as I'm sure it's something others including myself would consider if it was easy enough and you think the difference is worth the effort.
PieEater, I will do that and providing the bulbs are ok I'll include the link to them, and I'll do a before and after photo to show the difference, hopefully it will be worth doing.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2016, 01:09:08 pm »
Make sure you get the LED bulbs the right way round. There is a positive and a negative on these. Don't ask me how I know.

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
Make sure you get the LED bulbs the right way round. There is a positive and a negative on these. Don't ask me how I know.

but just to be sure you could always plug the clocks back in and test them before fixing everything together :-P

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2016, 09:09:11 pm »
My old Fazer's dashboard lights get dimmer every year. It's the corrosion in the wiring. I'd make sure your connectors right from the Reg/Rec to the dash are in tip top condition first, otherwise you're treating the symptom not the cause.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2016, 05:25:23 pm »
I've checked the wiring and it's like brand new from the regulator/rectifier, so I'm ruling that one out. I had a Fazer from new a few years ago and that was the same but i just lived with it. This time I'm going to try and sort it, they don't need to be dazzling, just enough to see them clearly in daylight. I've ordered the bulbs today so they should be here ready for me to fit at the weekend, the dash is off, ready and waiting........

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2016, 10:20:26 am »
I've checked the wiring and it's like brand new from the regulator/rectifier, so I'm ruling that one out. I had a Fazer from new a few years ago and that was the same but i just lived with it. This time I'm going to try and sort it, they don't need to be dazzling, just enough to see them clearly in daylight. I've ordered the bulbs today so they should be here ready for me to fit at the weekend, the dash is off, ready and waiting........

looking forward to seeing the results.

Conversely was out on my new thou last night and for the first time it got dark since I had it. The Inforad camera GPS detector thing has an LED above the clocks that goes red near a camera, but last night was so bright I couldn't see the top half of the clocks and it was somewhat distracting!

Any thoughts on calming it down? Some sort of translucent tape? Condom (not ribbed...) cut and taped over it etc?

cheers

Markie

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2016, 12:04:03 pm »
My old Fazer's dashboard lights get dimmer every year. It's the corrosion in the wiring. I'd make sure your connectors right from the Reg/Rec to the dash are in tip top condition first, otherwise you're treating the symptom not the cause.
Incandescent bulbs get dimmer with use because tungsten evaporates from the filament making it slightly thinner, the higher resistance means it runs at a lower power. An even more significant effect is that the lost metal condenses on the inside of the glass as a dark layer.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2016, 07:38:32 pm »
Thanks for that. They are very dim now and the main white connector on the LHS is full of verdigris. I'll be giving it some attention very shortly so I might slap a complete set of bulbs in while I'm at it.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2016, 05:58:47 pm »
Well, this little project will now be on hold for a while, one of the bulbs was broken when I opened the packet this afternoon, and I need the bike back together for the weekend so I'll update once the replacement bulb has been sent and I've had a chance to fit them.  :wall

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Brighter Indicator bulbs on dash? Done at last!!
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2016, 07:46:15 pm »
Well people, after much searching and trying various bulbs & Led's, I have managed to source some 'plug & play led's totalling the grand sum of £2.31 delivered. The company to get the correct LED's from are called Crazy Leds http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/ and the part number for them is T5/286 2XPLCC-21 and specify you need green. They take paypal so its easy and mine were delivered next day.
The job is very straight forward and takes around 20-30 mins and I have attached some pics below.
1 remove left and right hand infill panels and then the screen.
2 with ignition off, unplug the multiplug from the back of the clocks (push the tab down and pull)
3 undo 3 x 10mm nuts securing the clocks to the frame, one at the top and one either side.
4 remove the complete clock assemby from the rubber mounts
5 remove the rubber strips (if you have them) and the 7 x phillips screws from the back of the clocks
6 twist anticlockwise the 2 outer bulb holders below the green indicator glass.
7 pull the bulbs from the holders and insert the LED's in their place
8 put the bulb holders back in and twist clockwise to lock
NOTE LED's will only work one way round so before you put the back of the clocks back on, plug it in and try the indicators. If the green lights dont work, turn the LED'S round and try again.
9 Once they both work, turn off ignition unplug and replace the back of the clocks.
10 put clocks back into rubber mounts, fit 3 x 10mm nuts & washers
11 replace screen & infil panels, Job done!!
1st Photo is standard bulbs, 2nd is Led's Fitted,
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 07:48:23 pm by Fazerjon »

harley metisse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2016, 07:39:25 am »
Hi all, I have been following this thread like a lot of others I suspect, but I have a few questions.
Can I ask, why did you specify the "green" option ?
If brighter lights are required, surely the "white" choice, which would still have to shine through the green plastic lens on the speedo cover, would have been first choice.
Did you try them, or did crazy led suggest the green leds ?
Cheers
Graham

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2016, 08:41:24 am »
Hi, I asked for the clear LEDs originally and Crazy as well as a couple of other companies advised green would be the best choice, so I just followed their advice and I'm glad I did as the results are well worth it. Some LED's give out a wider span of light but I opted for the 'straight ahead' beam to direct it straight to the green lens. For what it cost and the little time it took to fit them, it's a mod worth doing if you find that the original bulbs are not as easy to see especially in bright sunlight.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 08:42:58 am by Fazerjon »

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2016, 11:58:39 am »

Nice work and pic's.
Ive looked at this and read the ebay listing which quotes:

Also included is a full set of appropriately coloured led's to replace your idiot lights. Using coloured led's with the original coloured filters provides a very pure colour to your idiot lights, rather than the often washed out colour you get with standard bulbs and faded filters.

(some years use a switching polarity for the indicator warning light, so the standard bulb has to be used. the indicator led is still included in the kit as I haven't managed to narrow it down to specific years yet.)

What year did you fit them to please???

Des

Markie

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2016, 01:16:13 pm »
Des, not sure about the kit on eBay I've had no dealings with that but my bike is a 2003 model.

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2016, 02:18:49 pm »
Thanks - ordered. I put "Green" in the comments - fingers crossed :-)

cheers

Markie

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2016, 02:45:57 pm »
Thanks for the write-up and photos :thumbup Did you only do the indicator lights, not the neutral, oil, high beam and backlights? I'd be more interested in doing the whole set if I was going to the trouble of taking the clocks off.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 02:47:06 pm by PieEater »

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2016, 03:24:25 pm »
To be honest, it was only the indicators that I found hardest to see in the daylight, all the others seem fine. If you do change them all it would be best to get the Led's colour matched for each lens. Good luck, any problems just post on here or PM me.
The direct link for the Led's if the above doesn't work is

http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/286-T5-2xPLCC-2-Capless-LED.html
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 04:39:29 pm by Fazerjon »