Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:06 pm

Author Topic: Chain lube  (Read 16732 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Chain lube
« Reply #50 on: 06 December 2017, 10:53:03 am »

I am anal when it comes to keeping my bike clean, and oil being slung all over the back wheel would be my worse nightmare.

Motul Chain Lube is great and does not fling off everywhere. its less than a tenner a can.
Scott Oilers are about £85 to buy, so not to expensive :rolleyes  but the bikes I have seen them fitted to always seem to be shitty looking with cable ties hold pipes along the swing arm and dirty oil on the wall of the rear tyre and just about everywhere else at the arse end. :'(

I don't think it's for me (I'm talking myself out of it as I type) I only ride in good weather and then only cover about 2.5K a year that is about a cans worth of Motul.

This is also my feelings on scotoiler
Going to have a look and see if the paraffin has gone - if not then a quick blast of brake cleaner then lube.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 December 2017, 11:46:03 am »
It's true, if you don't ride much then there's no need to worry about chain longevity. For me though chain and sprocket life is important, with an oiling system my chain lasts about 30000 miles (about 14 months), the fling factor isn't a problem for me as the bike gets washed every week anyway.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 December 2017, 12:01:43 pm »
Scottoiler all the way using Scottoil. 2 for £10 at bike shows, and if the oiler is set up correctly, last a long long time.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 December 2017, 02:18:46 pm »
It's true, if you don't ride much then there's no need to worry about chain longevity. For me though chain and sprocket life is important, with an oiling system my chain lasts about 30000 miles (about 14 months), the fling factor isn't a problem for me as the bike gets washed every week anyway.

I agree about it not being a real concern with very low mileages being done, and, to be honest I am not relying on the bike as everyday transport. (Summer Fun)

I clean my bike each time i ride it unless I'm going out on it again the following day, I do it to get the dead bodies off the screen, headlamps and fairing, the baked flies and bugs off the exhaust headers and radiator guard.

Don't say it! I know get a foccing life, but as Darrsi said in an earlier comment, half the fun of owning a bike is the fettling with it.
Well it is for me anyhoo  :rolleyes

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #54 on: 06 December 2017, 03:08:37 pm »

I agree about it not being a real concern with very low mileages being done, and, to be honest I am not relying on the bike as everyday transport. (Summer Fun)

I clean my bike each time i ride it unless I'm going out on it again the following day, I do it to get the dead bodies off the screen, headlamps and fairing, the baked flies and bugs off the exhaust headers and radiator guard.

Don't say it! I know get a foccing life, but as Darrsi said in an earlier comment, half the fun of owning a bike is the fettling with it.

not just fettling by the sounds of it, replacing fairings and dodging police because of all the people you have riden into hard enough for there lifeless bodys to stick to the fairing

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 December 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
Update.
Blasted out the last of paraffin remains, re lubed one link and roller at a time watched it bubble and run into the rollers. adjusted the slack and re torqued up and took it out for a test ride stopped after 3 miles to check the wheel was still on and went on my way for another 10 miles. Got back and added some more lube on to a warm chain.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 December 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
Here is the fling from fresh allied lube which reduces after a couple of rides as it settles in. The folded up centre stand gets the most of it I think really that what comes off is just the amount I over applied in the first place.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #57 on: 06 December 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
For those with OCD, :)  I wrote two articles. One on (proper) chain lubrication (touching the wear phenomena) and one on various types of lubricants. It's meant for bicycle chains primarily, but the basic principles are the same. Links:

http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015/06/23/best-bicycle-chain-lube/

http://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2017/03/30/bicycle-chain-lubricants-explained/
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06 December 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
I found that chain wax doesn't hold as much crud and dirt as the sticky, stringy aerosol lubes.
Tried most types on and off road all through the year and stuck with the wax. Seems to be much like the stuff on brand new chains.
Rust never sleeps !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 December 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
Chain looks a bit taut there Sharpie, you got enough play in it?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 06 December 2017, 08:41:53 pm »

Yep - think so,  30-40mm and just touches the underside of the rubber guide when pushed up perhaps its the angle.
Think it was a little too slack before - see here, I then pulled the wheel back by 1.4mm

« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 08:54:47 pm by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 06 December 2017, 09:19:06 pm »

Yep - think so,  30-40mm and just touches the underside of the rubber guide when pushed up perhaps its the angle.
Think it was a little too slack before - see here, I then pulled the wheel back by 1.4mm

I must admit i took 'unfazed' tip of touching the chain guard with the chain when i refitted my wheel last week and it is a bit tighter than i normally have it, but it's not making any unpleasant noises and there's no feeling at all through the footpeg either so it must be spot on.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 06 December 2017, 09:26:43 pm »
Got me thinking and questioning myself now, there is 1 tighter spot that still touches the guide but needs pushing up a bit harder than the rest. Don't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary but sometimes it would be handy if I just had someone who can give it a wiggle and a second opinion.   
I measured it before I adjusted it and it was all a good 40mm slack, and easily able to slap it on to the bottom guide and beyond at a measured 40mm.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 09:28:01 pm by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 06 December 2017, 11:07:05 pm »
Got me thinking and questioning myself now, there is 1 tighter spot that still touches the guide but needs pushing up a bit harder than the rest. Don't feel or hear anything out of the ordinary but sometimes it would be handy if I just had someone who can give it a wiggle and a second opinion.   
I measured it before I adjusted it and it was all a good 40mm slack, and easily able to slap it on to the bottom guide and beyond at a measured 40mm.

If it was way too tight it would grind a bit but you'd hear and feel it, same as if too loose you'd notice excess chain slap.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 06 December 2017, 11:14:57 pm »

If it was way too tight it would grind a bit but you'd hear and feel it, same as if too loose you'd notice excess chain slap.
Didn't notice any problems before the adjustment, it just felt a little slack -sloppy when prodding.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 11:18:47 pm by fazersharp »

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08 December 2017, 08:32:56 am »
I use a dry lube in the summer and a heavy application of chainsaw oil after every trip in the winter  - it does fling off but in the winter its more about protecting the chain than worrying about the mess. Chainsaw oil is cheap enough to apply every time you ride.
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08 December 2017, 12:20:19 pm »

not just fettling by the sounds of it, replacing fairings and dodging police because of all the people you have ridden into hard enough for there lifeless bodys to stick to the fairing

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08 December 2017, 12:56:26 pm »
The general consensus seems to be with the chain in the tightest spot of the chain run the chain should be able to touch the underside of the swinging arm rubber guide without a lot of force.
Bearing in mind if you lube the chain with one of the spray lubes that tends to set a bit then adjust the chain so that the tension is as above, one short ride and the chain will be slacker because of the lube being squished out of the numerous links, so I guess adjust the chain correctly then lube would probably be the best way.

But we all know what opinions are like  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 09 December 2017, 11:02:43 pm »
Anything Sharpie can do, I can do almost as well  :rolleyes

Chain guard off, chain thoroughly cleaned with Motul Chain Cleaner and a worm chain brush, makes fairly easy work of it.
Amazing the amount of crud that get washed off with the chain cleaner and worm scrubbing brush.
Blasted it off with compressed air after drying it with a rag, leaving it for a while to completely evaporate the cleaner before lubing it with Motul C2.

Chain adjusted so that the chain just touches the lower swinging arm guide when pushed up in the tightest point on the chain run.

Apparently one of the best test to find out how much your chain has worn is to clean the chain and adjust the chain correctly then grab the chain at the centre off the rear sprocket and pull the chain out directly backwards away from the front sprocket if you can push a pencil (5 to 6mm) between the chain and the dell in the rear sprocket your chain has just about reached the end of its life.

Mine pulls out less than 2mm, so all good for a year or three.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2017, 11:03:26 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 11 December 2017, 07:52:59 pm »
Had a nice surprise from eGay they have informed me that I qualify for a £10 cash back on my last purchase.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160983681079

I am now thinking of buying a thousand  and selling them on at half price, every one I buy I am 30 pence better off plus the £4.85p I get for each half price can I sell.
Potentially making £9700.00, that should help out over Chrimbo.

Thank you eGay   

Damn me and my maths it actually works out at only £5,150. :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 08:28:50 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 11 December 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
Can anyone tell me the standard length (Number of links) of the FZS 600 2003. seen some on eGay at a reasonable price so thought I might get one and stick it in the shed for future use. I have a new rear and front sprocket in the man drawer in the shed plus a spare big upgrade front sprocket nut and tab washer, I also have a little one but that's something else. :lol .

My front sprocket 16 tooth, I believe it is one tooth up on standard, unless you know better. :thumbup

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #71 on: 11 December 2017, 11:18:23 pm »
yeah im sure its a 15t oem so adding one to the front is like taking 3 from the rear (the general consensus) so you will loose a bit of acceleration and gain top end speed - or more likely just reduce rpm for long motorway runs
i think its about 110 links but that is a number that just popped into my head so could be out

(i used to have a second set of sprockets just for my long runs on my old bike and it can make a suprising difference for motorway miles but im talking 300+ miles each way as cumbria to london and norfolk was very common for work)

edit - man drawer in shed????, isnt a shed a man zone and might get a womans drawer??
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 11:20:11 pm by Disorderlypunk »