Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:14 pm

Author Topic: Chain lube  (Read 16733 times)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
Re: Chain lube
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2016, 01:58:03 pm »
I've just done an oil  change,  the old stuff looks ok didn't really need to change it ,  I will be using this on the chain for a while now,  cheers for the info guys

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2016, 02:08:27 pm »
I put down a bit of cardboard under the chain, put a bit of oil on an old tooth brush and go over the chain to clean it, then wipe it off, then apply a bit more with the toothbrush or a rag to lube it. Go for a short spin and then wipe away the excess spray. It should be good for a tank of petrol. Cleaning it isn't always necessary, you can get away with just adding a bit more on sometimes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2016, 02:24:52 pm »
Why not all bikes belt drive ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2016, 03:09:27 pm »
Why not all bikes belt drive ?

If you've seen how quickly a belt can be destroyed by a stone you'd never want a belt drive. Full enclosures aren't exactly stylish so manufactures leave them open (Harley)
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 May 2016, 06:28:45 pm »
scott oiler on my old girl  :) :)

waters wet, shit stinks !

john 087

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 May 2016, 10:29:56 am »
scott oiler as well. Hard to beat.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 May 2016, 11:19:12 am »
I use this:

I lube it once a week and clean the chain and lube it about once a month or two.
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2016, 02:27:16 pm »
Engine oil about every 200 miles. I use cheap and cheerful stuff from the car boot sale. About £12 for a gallon. It never runs out.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 December 2017, 08:25:27 pm »
Had a search to find a better post to add to but couldn't find anything better so adding to this old one but all relevant.

Just been cleaning my chain with paraffin and to aid the drying I use a can of air and blast out between the links but it soon freezes up and slows down.
Question -------- could I use brake cleaner to finish off with as that blasts out of the tin and would do a final clean and also push out the paraffin and then very quickly evaporate unlike paraffin that does not quickly evaporate. I am thinking that if it is safe for brake rubber then its safe for o -rings ?         

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 December 2017, 08:38:24 pm »
pictures, don't panic its not solvent in the bottle -its paraffin 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 December 2017, 09:25:00 pm »
Brake cleaner is brilliant stuff, but i don't see why you'd want to totally degrease a chain.
Cleaning is one thing, but completely degreasing it wouldn't be my choice.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 December 2017, 09:44:53 pm »
Brake cleaner is brilliant stuff, but i don't see why you'd want to totally degrease a chain.
Cleaning is one thing, but completely degreasing it wouldn't be my choice.
Yes that is a thought,but as I am a bit OCD I think all the grease is off or most of it and i was more looking at removing the left over paraffin so I can get new lube in there but with paraffin there its going to be fighting that.
I use Putulene Chain Tech that comes out thin and gets everywhere and then gos hard and is nice and white.

I will have a look tomorrow to see if the paraffin has had a chance to dry up between the plates and rollers, so we think brake cleaners is safe to use do we?.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 December 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
Brake cleaner is defo safe for your chain will not effect the o rings.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 December 2017, 11:20:04 pm »
Back in the 80s I had a round tin of solid wax oil that you put on a camping stove and melted it and then chucked your chain in - wiggle it about a bit and then take out to dry. It was a 125 with a split pin link so was easy to get off

Ahhhh! The old tin of 'Link-Life' graphite grease.

Pop in on the stove after washing the chain in Petrol or Paraffin, dry the chain and roll the chain up into a circle and lay it on top of the Link-Life and watch it slowly sink as the stuff warmed up.

Grab the tin with two pairs of mole grips and get the f--k outa there before you mum started screaming what the hell are you doing in there your stinking the place out.
Hang the chain over the nail in the fence post and allow the Link-Life to drip back into the tin, ready for the next gauntlet run in your mums kitchen.

You reminded me of it Sharpie with your comment.

It was good stuff and set on the chain as it cooled down.

Going to look on eGay to see if you can still get the stuff.

The chain lube i use is either Motul or Motorex. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 December 2017, 11:24:59 pm »
Back in the 80s I had a round tin of solid wax oil that you put on a camping stove and melted it and then chucked your chain in - wiggle it about a bit and then take out to dry. It was a 125 with a split pin link so was easy to get off

Ahhhh! The old tin of 'Link-Life' graphite grease.

Pop in on the stove after washing the chain in Petrol or Paraffin, dry the chain and roll the chain up into a circle and lay it on top of the Link-Life and watch it slowly sink as the stuff warmed up.

Grab the tin with two pairs of mole grips and get the f--k outa there before you mum started screaming what the hell are you doing in there your stinking the place out.
Hang the chain over the nail in the fence post and allow the Link-Life to drip back into the tin, ready for the next gauntlet run in your mums kitchen.

You reminded me of it Sharpie with your comment.

It was good stuff and set on the chain as it cooled down.

Going to look on eGay to see if you can still get the stuff.

The chain lube i use is either Motul or Motorex. 
You got spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't think it good on today's o ring chains - all that heat.

Thanks for the input Darrsi and Bandit on the brake cleaner question

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 December 2017, 12:00:54 am »
No sign of Link-Life on eGay, as you say Sharpie the heat would wreak havoc with the O or X ring chains of today.

Honest opinions from 'Scott Oiler' owners are they really messy?

I am anal when it comes to keeping my bike clean, and oil being slung all over the back wheel would be my worse nightmare.

Motul Chain Lube is great and does not fling off everywhere. its less than a tenner a can.
Scott Oilers are about £85 to buy, so not to expensive :rolleyes  but the bikes I have seen them fitted to always seem to be shitty looking with cable ties hold pipes along the swing arm and dirty oil on the wall of the rear tyre and just about everywhere else at the arse end. :'(

I don't think it's for me (I'm talking myself out of it as I type) I only ride in good weather and then only cover about 2.5K a year that is about a cans worth of Motul.

« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 12:02:37 am by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #42 on: 06 December 2017, 12:05:08 am »
why would you want to use any kind of engine oil that has a high fling rate
half of what is involved in chain lube is its stiction  so it doesnt just fling away on your first ride
good tin of chain lube about £10 and is made for the job and has no acidic property's like the old oil technique
really old motorbike chains in a hot oil can loosen them off but we dont do that for everyday chains.
give your chain a proper clean then a spray (another good point) then if excess give them a wipe on the surface
as for which is best - than is personal preferance as everyday riders will use more so want to spend less and do it more

i just did a video about a useless chain oiling tool and said scott oilers have there places but really are not needed so took mine off
proper cleaning and lubing is the best way to get the most life from your chain - there are no shortcuts - there was but we have already taken them

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 December 2017, 12:55:31 am »
Yeah bollocks to it, I'm sticking with the clean rear wheel approach, without oil over the side wall of the rear tyre, or cable ties on show.

Oh! by the way Motul do a chain cleaning spray as well, I have a tin in the shed so I think I will give the chain a good service tomorrow.

I have put the old girl into hibernation about 3 times already this winter but keep waking her up to do more things to her, I am talking about the FZS not the Mrs, she can stay asleep.
LOL   :rollin :rollin :rollin

« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 01:01:57 am by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 December 2017, 03:07:27 am »
Tommy when you enter that shed the mrs ardin aint sleeping - she gets out her other lubrication device lol

after this weekends dirty ride (not mrs ardin) i too have a session of cleaning the bike and lubing up the spinning thing (that IS mrs ardin)
good old lubricant will do it fine (wont make a joke here)

taking your time to look after a bike is all part and parcel of ownership
similar to being married to mrs ardin

(tommy - i wrote this hoping you would see the funny side if she reads this i hope she thinks i am your alter ego and it is all you)
(foc-u ban is expected in the inbox within 24hours)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06 December 2017, 03:46:53 am »
My twopenny's worth...

I was given a can of Chain Cleaner recently. It does a wonderful job of cleaning the chain. It is also Brake Cleaner with a different label on the tin - smells just the same and evaporates just the same... It IS the same.

Scottoiler - I bought one many years ago and I have fitted it to a number of bikes over the years. I have kept fitting it mainly because I paid a fair bit for it and I'm gonna use it... BUT... I've not fitted it to my Fazer. WHY? Cos it's damn messy. It's difficult to get the flow rate right. You need one setting for short rides and then you need to remember to turn it down for long rides or your rear wheel will be covered in oil. It also starts to coat your panniers/rear plastics/the missus' gloves. It's a ball ache having to clean it off all the time.

Link Life is still available in my local speedway shop - That's cos the speedway boys use chains that don't have O ring seals. If you use Link Life on a chain with O rings you soon won't have any O rings as they will melt. Also, if you spill some on the kitchen floor cos your mum surprised you while trying to sneak out the door you will get the thrashing of your life followed by many hours scrubbing the kitchen tiles - You do not need to ask how I know this.

Old/new engine oil. I just haven't got the time for faffing around like this. I used to use old engine oil as it saved me some money but I just can't be bothered with it.

I REALLY MISS THE SHAFT DRIVE ON MY OLD FJR1300.

I am currently using spray cans of chain lube, it seems to work.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 December 2017, 06:30:08 am »
I've always mainly used the Wurth chain lube for years now, simply found it better than any others i've tried, but after a heavy storm one day, and an oil change, i thought i'd use a paint brush with some oil to lube the chain thinking it would be great at really getting into the links.
I wiped off the excess and over the coming months i did it a few more times when the chain was still hot and even put the bike on the centre stand to spin off any oil that might drip when i put the bike away.
The result over the last 6 months, or maybe more, is that there is oil on the floor everywhere.
At home on the garage floor, outside of the garage where i normally oil the chain, outside work where i park the bike, then eventually it made its way onto the carpet indoors at home.
In short, it does the chain good without a doubt, but it's unavoidably bloody messy, so i'm back onto using the Wurth again and have already noticed how much cleaner my rear wheel is.
The bike's not covered during the day, and i gave up faffing about with a rain cover when it's pissing down and windy years ago, so the chain stays as lubed as needed to try and prolong the life of it and avoid sticking links as much as i can, although using the bike at least 5 days a week all year round probably helps too.

As for cleaning, i've always used WD40 on my X ring chain, with a proper chain brush which has always served me well and does the job, then i'll take the bike for a quick spin to warm the chain up before carefully lubing with the Wurth spray again. Always better to lube the chain when it's warm for best results.
The reason i use WD40 is because as mentioned before i don't want to totally degrease the chain, that would mean that when lubing again if you miss any small spot then it can be the start of a sticking link.
WD40 cleans the shit off a chain quite nicely but it is also deep lubing the chain at the same time, plus, as the initials say, displaces water which is all good.
After a good wipe down with a rag the Wurth spray will then follow afterwards.
Apparently WD40 is not a good idea to use with O ring chains though, but that is a can of worms i'm not interested in as i don't ever use them.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 06:52:15 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 December 2017, 09:06:52 am »
still in garage after cleaning bike and giving the chain a clean -
hit it with pressure washer (divided opinions on such things)
gave it a spray with brake cleaner
sprayed again with jet wash (it was still out)
wd40 on chain
wheeled into garage as it was starting to rain then had a cuppa
coated nicely in rock oil chain lube (must have got it from ebay)
will wipe off the excess later before i go out to minimise fling

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 December 2017, 09:22:47 am »
Tommy when you enter that shed the mrs ardin aint sleeping - she gets out her other lubrication device lol

after this weekends dirty ride (not mrs ardin) i too have a session of cleaning the bike and lubing up the spinning thing (that IS mrs ardin)

(tommy - i wrote this hoping you would see the funny side if she reads this i hope she thinks i am your alter ego and it is all you)

Yeah maybe she has one of those Twot Oilers I have often wonder what the cable ties on her thigh were for and the mess all over her rear end.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 December 2017, 09:35:40 am »

Yeah maybe she has one of those Twot Oilers I have often wonder what the cable ties on her thigh were for and the mess all over her rear end.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol