Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: What should I buy?  (Read 1519 times)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
What should I buy?
« on: 06 March 2012, 10:05:28 pm »
Looking to replace either my Gen 2 or FZ6 (just for a change) but struggling to think of what to get as I have done most bikes.
I have wanted to buy a Triumph for years but have never bothered as my local dealer is sh*te, but have thought why let that put me off. Been thinking about getting the road version of the Triumph Tiger 800.
Never had an "adventure" style bike so don't know wht to expect. Anyone any experience with them? What they like (positive/negative comments appreciated)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2012, 07:25:30 am »
Have ridden both variants, lovely bikes but will feel very diffrent to what you have now.Its  a low revving torquey soft power feel mill, no high revving howling beast.Handling is actually awesome, I was amazed at how light and accurate the steering is, it will do big lean too.You do need to test ride though as it is a diffrent experience.I liked it , but after a speed triple with loud cans, it felt a bit " quiet" and  with 50 bhp less, so it felt lower powered to me than expected. But then again , no bike other than a big v twin will take off the line like a speed triple.
I reckon it will be  a very good alllrounder , and it won Bike mags test several times.Maybe you should try a street triple, which is much more akin to the bikes you have. TBH I am considering a street triple R myself . Try looking at a few you tube vids of street triple R and hear the lovely moan of the engine. The street has a 105 bhp engine, the Tiger 800 more like 80.The tiger 8 competes with Gs 800, rather than the street triple, which is pretty much the best midweight sporty / street bike..

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2012, 12:22:10 am »
I have an XC and love it, 9000miles cant be wrong. totally different beast after my old gen1 thou. you deffo need to test ride them.

only problem is the screen's buffeting/noise - but that's an issue with many bikes and is very subjective.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2012, 08:38:05 am »
Replace both with a CBF1000?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2012, 04:47:40 pm »
Hated the CBF1000 when I last test rode one. Won't buy another Honda.
Love the Speed and Street triples but no wind protection and as I am "maturing" I can't do naked (in more ways than one).
Had a thought that the Tiger would be ideal. Not bothered about screen noise/buffing as I get that on any bike its more the ride/handling. I really like both my FZ1 and FZ6 and ideally I will keep the FZ1. The FZ6 is "almost" the perfect bike but it does not inspire me to ride it and I have never liked smaller engined revvy bikes (the FZS600 was the same for me aswell).

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
KTM SMT - it's what I'd get if I could have only one bike, and didn't have an SD already...
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright